on 12 June 2007
This is the first Sat-Nav I have ever bought. Shop around cos is can be found cheaper on sites with 'special offers'. I was impressed with the solid feel of the thing - not light and plasticy at all, but not exactly suitable for tucking into your jeans pocket if you want to take it out the car when you've parked up. The touch screen is easy to use and the menu's are clear. You can zoom in and out so your 'view' of the route ahead appears to be from 'further' away and you can see more of the route ahead. The screen is bigger than most of the other sat nav's I looked at (including the more expensive ones) and this does make a difference.

I've downloaded speed camera's to it, which is a bit fiddly and took a few attempts to get the correct file types. But I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly as the distance to go seems to take a bit of time to catch up so when it says you've got 50yds to go you actually pass the camera! This is not a problem with road turns though! I agree with one of the other reviewers that the POI's are pretty useless, they're not easy to search and the ones I wanted weren't there, however it is easy to add ones yourself and save them in your 'favourites'. I haven't tried the camera location function yet - seems a bit more of a gimmick to me than actually something useful. Battery life isn't fantasic so you need to travel with the car charger if you're going to be travelling for more than an hour or so (the unit's still fairly new and the blurb says battery life will improve with each re-charge though).

A friend of mine with a TomTom said that although the routing etc was pretty good, he thought the display was limited cos you can only have one of ETA/Distance to Go/Speed/Time to Go on at a time where TomTom has all of them at once..... but then his screen's not as big as mine, hasn't got a camera and it cost him loads more too!

All-in-all though, I'd really recommend this sat-nav. Its easy to use the basics and does get you where you want to go - It must be easy cos the wife borrowed it the other day to go to a training course and got there and back no problem on her own, with more forethought I could have re-programmed 'home' location though!
on 6 January 2007
I have used Tom Tom products for over 4 years and when replacing the last Tom Tom 5 on a PDA due to the PDA failure, was looking for another Tom Tom unit. I was convinced to trey the Navman and must say it is excellant. It may be a bit bulky, but it feels very well made and sturdy. The screen is large and clear. The menus are easy to follow.On using the unit it receives a better signal strength, and updates quicker than any of my old Tom Tom devices.The old Tom Tom used to lose the signal in certain areas of the Uk, but the Navman dosnt.
Dont follow the Tom Tom hype, give the Navman a go.I got the 720 for £... Absolute bargain for all the features and full Europe maps included.
on 6 September 2013
For what we paid back then this was good but then it got us in trouble as the maps were old

However with this type of technology it got out of date and updates for maps were a pain...use my smartphone now but prefer TomTom for its practicality
on 13 July 2006
A great product with tft 4" screen with built in digital camera and latest gps technology for the price you cant go wrong
on 6 December 2015