5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Highlander
I am probably Karen Marie Moning's greatest fan, I have read all of her Highland books and have been completely bowled over by them. THIS ONE IS BY FAR THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL!!!!
Dageus MacKeltar is a hero to die for and at last a heroine in Chloe Zanders, that we women can all relate to!!
While researching a way to remove the curse in modern day Manhattan,...
Published on 3 Aug 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing....
I'm a huge fan of the Fever series and had high hopes for this book as KMM has a knack for whisking you off to places unknown. However, all in all I found it very disappointing.

There are far too many stereotypes for my liking (fainting females and brawny Scotsmen with terrible accents.) I found the female protagonist Chloe Zanders (who was of course a virgin...
Published 7 months ago by Guitargirl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Highlander, 3 Aug 2004
While researching a way to remove the curse in modern day Manhattan, Dageus is a 16th century Druid fighting a losing battle with the spirits of 13 evil Druids who possess his soul. All because he did the unthinkable and forbidden act of using ancient time shift stones to save his brother's life (in Kiss of the Highlander).
Against her best instincts Zoe, a student of antiquities, is drawn into his world while delivering a manuscript to his penthouse. Plunged into a world of timeless magic and dark seduction together they face the challenge of a lifetime: fighting 13 evil spirits for the heart of one irrisistable man.... and boy is he one irresistable hunk!!
If you enjoy all things ancient and celtic along with time travel, sexy and steamy this is a must for your library!! A can't put down, want to re-read straight away book, I loved it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, but fun, 26 Jan 2003
Farfalla (MA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Dark Highlander is the first book I have read by this author, but I will be looking forward to reading others, when I get the chance. I was surprised, given the title and the blurb on the back by how much humor was injected into the contents of the book. To my mind, a little humor is never a bad thing. Too many novels in any genre take themselves too seriously.
Dark Highlander revolves around Dagues MacKeltar, a 16th century Scot who has come to the present to try and find a way to rid himself of the curse he fell under when saving his brothers life. The only thing that helps him fight against the curse, while he tries to find a way out of it, is sex. (How handy for a romance novel!) Dageus meets Chloe Zanders when she has been sent by her boss in a Manhattan museum to deliver a manuscript which he has traded for the right to examine. Chloe and he cross paths, and she wanders up to his pent house waiting for him, and finds that he is the one responsible for a rash of manuscript thefts. Now, he keeps her captive to prevent her telling.
Soon, they fall out of the rolls of captive and captor, and Chloe tries to help him out of his curse, traveling to Scotland and back in time to do it. I am not much for time travel novels, but this one seems to pull it off effortlessly. Well written, with good, well rounded characters, who have more than a few human flaws. This book is one to be pulled out again on a rainy Sunday afternoon, or just a day when I could use some escapism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistable!, 27 Oct 2006
This the second of the best of the Highlander series. Start with 'The Kiss of the Higlander and then finish (for now at any rate) with 'Spell of the Highlander' and 'The Immortal Highlander'. There are others that touch on the MacKeltar/Fae world but these four are by far the best.

The Dark Highlander is time-travelling Dageus MacKeltar, born 600 years ago and now possessed the souls of 13 evil druids as a result of saving his brother's life ('The Kiss of the Highlander'). He has to find a way to rid himself of these souls before they consume him, and while he battles within himself he kidnaps Chloe, an historian and lover of Scottish artifacts. Their emotional and physical journey to free him is original, sizzling and will keep you coming back for more. I just love this book!

The next in the series are 'The Immortal Highlander' and the 'Spell of the Highlander'. I can't decide which I love best - they are all different and reveal different pieces of the Highlander world. They all have women who seem real, with weaknesses and strengths and distinctively different characters. Oh, and those MacKeltar men...

5.0 out of 5 stars It keeps getting better and better!, 11 Nov 2006
I bought this book after reading Kiss of the Highlander, (which I had already loved) expecting another really good book to keep my occupied until the next DG one comes out... What I found was that this book was (I know, I know, seems impossible to those DG fans!) even better than any book I had read before. I adored the character of Daegus and the addition of Drustan and Gwen made the book all the more readable. You may find it hard to believe that any book about a fantasy theme is good, but I can tell you, this book is gold, you're going to want to read it over and over! It's got everything a girl (or boy, if you're into this sorta thing!) needs; gorgeous man, wonderful romanace, little bit of action and lots of lovely sex! All you need is the bottle of wine to go with!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Highlander, 16 Jan 2003
The Dark Highlander is classified in the Romance Genre, however to me it belonged more in fantasy. I found myself reading it again and again, more for it's content about druids. I was facinated by the Tuatha De' Danaan-"an advanced civilization from a faraway world." I somehow got the feeling that Ms. Moning put this book and Kiss of the Highlander into the Romance catalogue, to help make the old myths easy for everyone to understand. She does something really interesting; she gives a story that helps you understandthe Celtic Myths, without making you brain dead trying to figure all of what is remembered about the old Celtic religions and myths. One of her sources: "Dictionary of Celtic Mythology" is a book that I own and have gone through again and again ... Her attempt to explain time travel using physics isn't all that far off. And I am guessing, that she had some help. If one were to travel many light years from earth, and then return, they would not have aged much at all. But the people they returned to would. Karen Marie Moning put a lot more than simple time travel and romance in this book and the one before. They are very worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, 5 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This story is of Dageus MacKeltar brother to Drustan (Kiss of the Highlander) and Chloe Zanders.
When they meet Dageus is desperatly trying to find away to be rid of the darkness within his soul and fast losing all hope. He knows he can offer Chloe nothing yet when he finds her snopping about under his bed there is simply no way he can let her go.
Chloe is held cative but finds it hard to resist her mysterious captor. She is drawn to him and when she agrees to go to scotland she has no idea that the desicision will lead her across history, into darkness and the heart of an irrestible man.
If you liked Kiss of the Highlander you can not fail to enjoy this book. This book blends magic, enchantment, romance and history Brilliantly. However it also has it's darker side. The love scenes are very steamy. This Book has so much of everything you never want to put it down. A keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars * * * * I'd give it a gazillion stars if I could!!!!* * * *, 14 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I won't go into the story as reviewers before me have done this already, but let me just say it is imaginative! The whole thing is just so believable if you let yourself be sucked in!
I simply adored the whole supernatural "feel" of this book! I don't know if you will know what I mean, but some really awesome writers can just pluck you up and smack you down right in the middle of another world. Sherrilyn Kenyon can do this, and so can Karen Marie Moning! I love her way of writing, I love her sense of humor, I adore her heroes and heroines and I usually clutch her books to my chest heaving a great sigh when I'm finished ... just to reread it again!
This was the first book of hers I had read (and the second in the MacKeltar series, the first being Kiss of the Highlander) and I immediately ordered all the others. None of them have disappointed me, on the contrary! It leaves me yearning for more books about the fickle fae and their darkest member (Adam)
Now all that is left for me to do is swallow lots of nerve pills while I wait for his story to be published (The Immortal Highlander, coming in August 2004)!
Read it! You will be hooked like the rest of us!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Start at the end at work backwards ..., 10 Nov 2007
Joanne K. Pilsworth (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I thought I would try this author, as the reviews seemed quite good, apart from one. Good storyline, with a couple of twists to it. Virgin heroine and hunky hero. The only reason for giving it four stars is that I thought the end was a bit disappointing. After building the story, it just seemed to fizzle out and was nowhere near as steamy as the rest of it.

That said, interesting enough that I will probably read the rest of the series (in the right order, though).

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly fanatastic!!!, 2 Sep 2003
By A Customer
I have been reading romantic noves since my early teens, I love reading them but have recently found that the plot is nearly always prdictable, but not this story. It kept me truly gripped right to the end.
The concept of time travel ands a wonderful twist and Deagus is positvley good enough to eat, I now inteed to read all of the books Ms Moning has writttn. Please give it a go you will not be dissapointed I promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Dark Highlander: 5 (Kindle Edition)
yet another additctive book from KMM. Her Highlander books, like the Fae books are impossible to put down once you start reading them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›