4.0 out of 5 stars Yet more sublime Swedish pop
Published on 23 Aug 2006 by Mike Mantin

1.0 out of 5 stars boring
what rubbish. i was playing it in the car and didn't even realise i had it on. well, not until i was getting annoyed with something, then realised it was this album. the drumming is terrible for a start, the songs go nowhere and just repeat one after the other, there's barely a difference in any of them, other than Amsterdam, which is the main reason i bought it, and...
Published on 5 July 2007 by D. R. Jasper

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet more sublime Swedish pop, 23 Aug 2006
This review is from: Writer's Block (Audio CD)
Sweden's comma-phobic Peter Bjorn And John will probably be familiar to you as the makers of 'Young Folks', which will no doubt have soundtracked your summer in some way. You may even have a 'Young Folks moment', when this fantastic song first entered your world (mine is hearing it blasting out of a car as I stumbled into the Dour Festival). Recently awarded five gleaming stars on this site thanks to its obscene levels of cool and catchiness, like many massive debut hits it renders the album automatically disappointing. But even if nothing can hit that track's whistle-assited levels of joy, 'Writer's Block' can certainly not be accused of flogging its winning formula. It is, thankfully, an eclectic showcase of their pop knack in a number of guises rather than ten more songs to flesh out their signature track.

Their first album for new label Wichita, there are more than enough finely-crafted gems to keep Peter Bjorn And John on the radar for a while yet. They are already masters of indie-pop, adding shoegazy walls of noise to 'Objects Of My Affection' and writing lovelorn beauties like 'Paris 2004' ("I'm all about you/You're all about me/We're all about each other"), the kind of song so sweet and laid-back it's almost depressing to listen to at any time other than Summer. The balance is almost perfect in places, like 'Start To Melt''s girl-group lyrics and Spector-esque wall of sound, or 'Up Against The Wall''s gentle but emotive build-up into epic status. They've also developed a couple of trademarks, with a number of tracks featuring whistling tucked away amongst the noise (rather than centre stage), and Peter's achingly cool vocals, complete with elongated vowels, are pleasingly distinctive.

You've got to commend them for their craftmanship: this album is tailor-made to be instantly likeable (of course, anyone who buys it will have instantly been enchanted by 'Young Folks') but also, thanks to some surprisngly excellent lyrics and eclectic charm, ensure it'll sneak under your skin once you're past the stage of appreciating its overhwelming niceness. Where the similarly sunny Magic Numbers' lack of depth meant we all got bored of them after a couple of months, 'Writer's Block' will continue to surprise, ensuring it a place on a fair amount of Best Of 2006 lists. And when you finally manage get the unbearable catchiness of 'Young Folks' out of your head, you can enjoy a whole new set of tunes to fall in love with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 23 Mar 2007
This review is from: Writer's Block (Audio CD)
I purchased this on a whim, only on the basis of hearing one song, the price of the album was not bad on Amazon. And I had one of those moments that you stick the cd in and the album and songs absorb you instantly, well crafted tunes and lyrics but at the same time quite different. The songs Objects of my affection & the young folks immediately stand out and so then you get sucked into the the rest of the album. This album may be a slow burner to some but wouldn't surprise me if it gains momentum in the future I hope so as the cd is great.

This review is from: Writer's Block (Audio CD)
I knew nothing of this Swedish group before I stumbled upon a video quite by chance for the song 'Young Folks' recently, and was immediately 'hooked'! I'd never heard it before - though it had been a chart hit reaching number thirteen a couple of years go.

It's not often that I am drawn to a whole album by a group I'm unfamiliar with by simply one song, but having been so hooked on this one number, I went to listen to the Amazon Samples for the rest of the album it was taken from, and although sounding somewhat 'different', I liked what I heard! It's a sort of mixture of 'out of key/tune' melodies in some places, and some songs that might make you think of a tune being played back at the wrong speed. However, they're all pretty 'hooky'!

The best of them by far has to be: 'Young Folks', 'Amsterdam', 'Up Against The Wall', 'Paris 2004' and 'Rolls The Credits' - the others I should imagine will most certainly grow the more one listens to them.

This album with a most 'uninspiring' artwork, consists of eleven songs and is just three quarters of an hour in length - which is just the way I like my CDs! Ten to twelve songs with a duration of around 45 mins. is quite adequate I think. These days, too many include more tracks and go on for far longer, and instead of simply getting more for your money, as a result, one is not so tempted to play them again so soon as a consequence...

An unusual sound that will probably make me want to purchase more CDs from this group.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have writers' block, 29 April 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Writer's Block (Audio CD)
Swedish pop group Peter Bjorn and John are apparently trying to confuse us, and for a brief time, it works.

Their third album "Writer's Block" has the misfortune to open on a rather saggy note, but fortunately hoists itself up for a blurry blend of indiepop and northern atmospheric synth. So straggle through the first two tracks, because the indiepop that follows is solid, multilayered and quite enjoyable.

It opens with a faint, atmospheric little track that sounds like Sigur Ros tuning up. Then suddenly it careens into nonstop guitar pop in "Object of My Affection," with drums pounding right over those steely riffs. "And you still can make sense/if you just show up and present an honest face/instead of that grin," Peter Morén sings happily.

Not only is it a lot simpler than the other songs, but I got a headache from those relentless drums and guitar. At that point I was groaning, anticipating a whole album of the same. But I was wrong.

Things start perking up with the shimmying, sunny indiepop of "Young Folks," which has some enchantingly feathery edges and constant whistling. The other songs have a similar mix of shimmery keyboard and solid indiepop -- thumpy little marches, swirling psychedelic hymns, gentle ballads blooming into driving guitarpop, folksy ballads, and the shimmering prettiness of "The Chills."

For your info, there is no Peter Bjorn -- it's actually "Peter, Bjorn and John," three Swedish guys who play the instruments and all provide vocals. And despite a couple of mediocre songs on "Writer's Block," these guys really know how to make great indiepop -- lots of northern wind and snow, and a delightfully sunny 1970s pop mentality.

There's plenty of ringing, peppy guitar and unstoppable bass from Morén and Björn Yttling, while John Eriksson provides some fast drumming as well. Yttling swaddles almost all the melodies in a hazy edge of soft, colourful synth, and turning some of them into bittersweet, chilly pop. Most of the songs are pretty upbeat, even with a bit of harmonica and whistling to remind us to be cheery.

Much of the album is about sort of ambiguous -- half of it seems to be about breaking up with a lover, and the other half is about how much you adore them. "Your tongue is sharp/but I miss the taste of it/You said time heals/there's not enough of it..." Moren sings in his slightly nasal voice. It's just a few songs after, "Hours seems to disappear/everyone is leaving -- I'm still with you."

"Writer's Block" has a couple tracks that don't quite fit in, but the overall album is a delicious blend of cheery pop melodies and blurry keyboard. Definitely a good listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 10 April 2007
This review is from: Writer's Block (Audio CD)
Worth getting just for 'Objects of My Affection' and 'Young Folks'.

Every track is a beautifully crafted piece of indie pop wonder. Great melodies, smart lyrics, and production that's both glorious and melancholy. One of the best things I've heard in ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars OK, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Writer's Block (Audio CD)
Had to buy for our parrot as he is always whistling along to the 3rd track (Young Folk) whenever it appears on the Homebase advert on TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars bought as a present, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Writer's Block (Audio CD)
i bought this cd as a present for my nephew he sends me good reports about it. should have listened to it myself before letting him have it.

4.0 out of 5 stars At least they're not boring, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Writer's Block (MP3 Download)
Great easy to listen to album. At long last someone who can create different sounding tracks on the same album.

Writer's Block
Writer's Block by Peter Bjorn and John (Audio CD - 2006)