5.0 out of 5 stars Works on region 2 player despite saying region 1!, 8 May 2009
S. Ashton (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animaniacs 1 [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
When I ordered this I expected to only be able to watch it on my laptop since it says region 1, however, I put one of the discs in my DVD player just to see what it said, and it played it! I then tested more of the discs in my other players (4 machines in total, all region 2) and they all played. I don't know the reason for this anomaly, but I'm not complaining. So I recommend buying this item, just ignore the region 1 warning, and it looks like you'll be fine.

The episodes them selves are extremely cleverly written, and are highly entertaining. I thoroughly recommend you buy this and you WON'T be disappointed.

PS. I dare you to memorise the nations of the world song on episode 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff, 11 May 2009
If you have never seen the Animaniacs, you are in for a treat.

I was a fan when they were on UK TV back in the 1990s and having the DVDs is great.

The Animaniacs themselves owe something to the Marx Brothers, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons but they have their own anarchic, surreal charm.

The supporting cast are all fabulous characters too and the animation is as good as anything you'll see from the classic cartoon shorts of the 40s and 50s.

Every home needs the Warners Brothers (and the Warner Sister!).

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant item, 6 Jan 2011
Even though the item came from America the delivery was really quick, it even arrived before xmas with all the bad weather. The item was exactly as described and my boyfriend loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helloooo Nurse!, 14 Jun 2010
Format:
Everything says it's region 1 only (US) but I bought this from the States after reading another reviewer's comment that it runs on region 2 players, too. And, yes, it does - as do Animaniacs volumes 2 and 3 as well!

Humour:
Fabulous fast paced knock about humour which can be very witty, high on parody, both visual and musical with some great songs. The writing for these cartoons is excellent, as is the animation which harks back to the classic Warner shorts of the 40's and 50's in the quality of animation (flowing, full animation, brilliantly timed with the full orchestral music track). Spielberg wanted to make a series which took its cue from the classics and he succeded.

Audience:
Kids, yes, probably best from 5 upwards not only to enjoy the slapstick but a little of the subtlety, too. Adults, certainly, due to the humour, parody, some clever song lyrics, cultural and movie send-ups (including Wakko, Yakko and Dot's help - unwanted in most cases - for Beethoven, Einstein and Lincoln!). Animation fans - if, like me, you enjoyed the likes of Bugs Bunny and crew, you'll enjoy the antics of the Animaniacs and their 'anything goes'.

Characters:
Well realised with their own traits, phrases and style from the Warner brothers (Wakko and Yakko) and Dot (their sister as she continually reminds us); Pinky and the Brain, trying to take over the world; the Good Feathers (pigeons who answer to their supremo - THE GOOD FEATHER - very reminicent of Brando's Godfather); Scrappy Squirrel, the elderly grouch with violent tendencies - but it's all good cartoon fun - Rita and Runt, Chicken Boo and many more, besides. There are occasional guest appearances by, for example, Bugs Bunny, the Road Runner, and so on.

Content:
25 'progammes' of about 22 minutes having up to 4 cartoon sections in each. 550 minutes of craziness.

Quality:
The animation itself is flowing and expression is not only facial but in body poses, too, so pretty full animation, certainly for TV material. This is no 'talking-walking' animation. The music, using the Warner orchestra, is very 'full' and is closely timed and accented to the visuals, adding brilliantly to every pun. There are many musical parodies, too - references to film music and classics such as 'Les Miseranimals' (Les Miserables).

Special Features:
Interviews with creators discussing career and series highlights

5.0 out of 5 stars My life is complete, 11 Jun 2011
When I got the two later seasons on my trip to Florida, I was aiming to get the first volume to complete my set. When I finally got it, it made me feel complete. Most of my favourite sketches made it this way including: The Nations of the World (sung by Yakko), the time when the Warner Brothers (and Warner Sister) meet Einstein, Beethoven, Lincoln, the works. Of course there are other characters, including Pinky and the Brain, the Goodfeathers, Slappy the Squirrel, and those two hippos whose names I forgot. Many characters have their own sense of personality, and the conflict they come across only makes it more humorous than expected. It's a shame those DVD's are not released in the U.K. and that I have to import the DVD anyway, but the content makes it all worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful to have a piece of my childhood back, 13 July 2014
As others have said this may state Region 1 but it works on a region 2 player. Wonderful to have a piece of my childhood back

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 12 Dec 2013
Well worth considering & would recommend to anyone that has children, plenty of fun on these discs to keep them happy for quite a few hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of them's a genius, the other's insane, 5 July 2012
Thrud Fan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've just got to echo what some others have said, my copy also works fine on a region 2 player despite what it says on the box. I remember watching the Animaniacs on Saturdays when I was younger and loving them, having watched them again I still think they are great, with some clever, even educational, songs and witty scripts. Some of the characters are stronger than others I'm not sure if this is to do with the writers or just the characters themselves. I always found the Good Feathers a bit repetitive but loved Pinky and the Brain, maybe I'm not the only one as Pinky and the Brain got there own show.
Kids will love the cartoon slapstick and adults will like the nods made to tv and films. Defiantly worth being in your DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Time For..., 6 Feb 2012
AAANIMAAANIAAACS!!

I bought this recently on pure grounds of nostalgia (i'm 22 years old), and I could not recommend buying this enough! I'd be hard-pressed to think of another cartoon as brilliant from my childhood. It has variety, songs, slapstick humour, adult humour, memorable quotes, slick animation, the list is pretty much endless.

I watched some of my favourite episodes with my 7 year old nephew yesterday and i'm happy to report he loved it just as much as me. The great thing is that any of the more 'adult' humour is done in such away that a younger viewer would not have a clue, and they just sit there laughing along to the funny songs and cartoon violence.

This volume is spread across FIVE discs (that's around 8hrs 30mins of footage, folks!!) with 25 twenty-minute episodes. Notable moments include:
- Dezanitised: The Warner Bros. visit the doctor for the first time.
- Yakko's World: Yakko sings all the nations of the World.
- Hooked on a Ceiling: Warner Bros. help Michaelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel.
- Taming of the Screwy: Warners are trained in good manners.
- Temporary Insanity: The CEO's secretary gets sick, so the Warner Bros. help out!
- Bumbie's Mom: Hilarious Slappy Squirrel segment where nephew gets taken to see a movie (a parody of Disney's 'Bambie').
- Space Probed: Yakko, Wakko and Dot are abducted by aliens!
- The Great Wakkorotti: Wakko holds a concert (where he burps the whole of 'The Blue Danube')
- Pavlov's Mice: Probably the funniest Pinky & the Brain segment - they're all brilliant!
- The Boids: Alfred Hitchcock spoof featuring the Goodfeathers.
- Wakko's America: Wakko sings all the States of the US with their capital cities.
- Plane Pals: The Warner Bros. annoy a snobbish plane passenger.
- Be Careful What You Eat: Song about all the rubbish in sweets. Very clever!
- Up the Crazy River: Mindy and Buttons segment. Brilliant chase through the rainforest!
- Hercule Yakko: References to Agatha Christie's 'Poirot', in a cartoon mystery solving episode.

The only grudge I have with the set, is the lack of special features. There is a small interview with some of the voice actors, but it all feels very staged and not quite natural. However, the cartoons are bliss and will keep you entertained for aaaages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Cartoon Ever!, 14 Jan 2012
Fantastic box set of the greatest cartoon ever made! While all the other kids are watching Peppa Pig, my Goddaughter will be singing Yakko's Nations of the World, watching Rita and Runt act out Les Miserables and the Goodfeathers do West Side Story! Prompt delivery, great service. Don't worry about regions, almost all DVD players these days are multi-region.

Animaniacs 1 [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]