4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to childhood and tranquillity
I must have been seven, and my brother five, when CAMBERWICK GREEN was first screened. We watched every episode, and the repeats, never really outgrowing them.
Published on 29 Mar 2002 by Gavin Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Still captures a toddler's interest
Given to us as a present, this video dates back to 1966 and the picture quality is quite poor.
Published on 30 Oct 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to childhood and tranquillity, 29 Mar 2002
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
Thirty-six years on, how does they look? The first thing that struck me was how poor the quality of the DVD transfer is. There are many, many scratches on the film, and the picture is very shaky -- as if the DVD transfer has been done via a camera mounted on someone's shoulder. The sound is not good either, but then it always seemed as if Brian Cant recorded the narration and singing inside a small box at the BBC. (The box turned out to be a cupboard at the house of Freddie Phillips, who supplied the music.)
CAMBERWICK GREEN was the first major animated series from the Gordon Murray team, and it shows. The story lines, as you would expect of a series intended for infants, are very slight. Nothing too serious happens to any of the characters. Camberwick Green was a very quiet place, because most of the puppets lacked a mouth. There is no sense of a universe outside: in the first episode on the DVD, the postman delivers letters to characters from other characters living in Camberwick Green.
Of course, one's strongest memories of the series are of the repeated elements, which were the intro, the outro, and the wonderful musical score. It's all gloriously relaxing New Age stuff, building an audience who would grow into Windham Hill CDs twenty years later.
I would have bought this at any price, but I'm disappointed that the DVD production team couldn't find a better source tape to make the master from. What I don't know is whether the 12 episodes on this DVD make up the entire CAMBERWICK GREEN collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming!, 5 Oct 2000
By A Customer
It's a pleasure to watch my 3-year old son enjoying the sweet and simple characters and storylines which I fondly remember from my own childhood. Equally enjoyable is the second volume, a Trip to Trumpton. The picture quality is very slightly dated, but the standard of animation is very reasonable for its day! We've just ordered the third instalment, a visit to Chigley. We'll keep you updated!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely series., 26 Jun 2007
Robert J. Mould (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camberwick Green: The Complete Collection [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
I recently bought this for my children and me!

it brought back such happy memories watching with my grandmother and great aunts and uncle when i was 2 to 5 years old.

The Quality of the first episode is sadly very poor.Very wobbly hard too watch.It states that they have been remastered using state of the art equipement.Well the first episode hasnt but all the others have.So only 4 stars.does anyone know why the first episode is like this?

3.0 out of 5 stars Still captures a toddler's interest, 30 Oct 2002
By A Customer
Nevertheless the stories set in old England are at a (slow) speed which toddlers can take in and there are lots of gentle songs which get them joining in swaying on their seat or up off it on the floor. The number of (vintage) vehicles - trains, barges, cranes, ice cream vans, bakers vans and helicopters - captivates my son. Unfortunately the last story on our tape jumps and has white noise which my son puts down to interference from the helicoptor.
It still puzzles me (as it did when I saw it in my childhood) how Windy Miller manages to get in and out his windmill without being caught by the rotating sails :-)
Worth trying as a stocking filler

3.0 out of 5 stars WOBBLY PICTURE, 15 Sep 2007
Ms. D. Dixon (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
Loved the dvd but very disappointed that 1 or 2 episodes seemed wobbly and distorted on the tv screen. The same can be said for the Trumpton dvd which I bought as a package. I thought I had a dud dvd but on reading other reviews it seems that it is the dvd at fault! Brilliantly nostalgic-brought it all back and my 5 year old loves it! If the makers had used state of the art equipment to reproduce the originals, then surely there should be a note on the sleeve that not all episodes are perfect-otherwise excellent!

4.0 out of 5 stars good classic entertainment, 21 Nov 2001
'Here's a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play. But this box can hide a secret inside. Can you guess what's in it today?'
And so begins each episode of this delightful series. Camberwick Green, not to be confused with the nearby village of Trumpton is a magical childrens series. (It was always my favourite anyway!) Each episode focus's on a different story and character. The songs are greatly entertainig, and the naration by Brian Cant is expressive. This would be a great gift either as a nostalgic present for someone who fondly remembers Camberwick Green and wishes to be reminded of the good ol'days. However it would also be just as apt a gift for a young child who no doubt will be enraptured by its entertaining quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toddlers adore it, 10 Oct 2002
Szots (Harpenden, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just bought a dvd player and struggling to find any DVDs for my two and a half year old I came across this old childhood favourite, and decided it was just what we needed. So the quality's not up to modern standards, but who cares, the stories are still great and my daughter loves it. She'd watch it all the time if I let her and already knows all the characters names. She's a big fan of Windy Miller.
If you want a collection of gentle stories for a young toddler, no violence, no swearing, just good old fasioned values of helping one another and learning a few things along the way,then look no further. You'll be humming the theme tune before you can say Camberwick Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Entertainment Warts And All, 20 Oct 2007
I bought this for purely nostalgic reasons and was glad that I did.

Episode one looks like it was mastered from an old reel to reel video tape or something and that is my one and only complaint. I would think that this is probably the only copy of the episode in existance as with most of the BBC's output from the 1960's and 1970's it simply doesn't exist anymore so we shouldn't complain , moreover it's a miracle it survived at all. There Is a sleeve note that explains there may be variations in quality due to the archive nature of the original material and really for this price who can really complain too harshly ?

If you can get past the stereotypes portrayed and want a calming , steadying piece of classic entertainment then you should get this and the other "Trumptonshire" DVDs ,If it wasn't for Gordon Murray and Brian Cant there would be no Postman Pat or Bob the Builder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Contents excellent, quality of DVD is appalling, 2 Feb 2005
I so much wanted to give this DVD 5 stars but because of the appalling quality of the film print I just cannot.
The series itself is just excellent. My kids just love it. Even my older kids who wouldn't give Bob The Builder, Fireman Sam, Postman Pat and Tellietubbies the time of day, seem to find Camberwick Green entertaining. Perhaps its the great catchy songs or perhaps the clear pronounciation of the narrator, or then again, perhaps the quality of the stories. For me, its the fact that the series shows an English village where everyone is usefull and has a role to play. I think it builds self confidence and respect for others.
Now to the reason I knocked this DVD down a star. The first episode, about the Postman, is simply unwatchable. The screen expands and contracts like Camberwick Green is in the midst of an earthquake. It makes you quite sick when you try and watch it. Some of the other episodes are full of scratches and pops.
Surely, the producers could have spent a few days running the prints through a digital processor to clean up the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars When I was a lad, 19 Sep 2008
Robinho (Haverhill, Suffolk,UK) - See all my reviews
I too thought I had a slightly dodgy copy seeing some picture wobble, but I can see from other reviews I'm not alone. That said I would buy it again just as it is, my favourite is good old Windy Miller. I forgot that its not like Postman Pat's more modern animation silly me it was 1966 after all. For the moment my 2 year old daughter prefers Postman Pat, Bob, Sam and the Little Red Tractor but it was as much for me as my kids and I am not disappointed. A bargin price too, no more than a fancy cup of coffee. Go on buy it and remember how it was. I bought Trumpton too, don't miss that one either!

Camberwick Green: The Complete Collection [DVD] [1966]