5.0 out of 5 stars Wow
After Jane Campion's "The Piano" astonished me with its moving story, which seemed closer to a timeless fable than a corset drama set in 1855, its gorgeous landscape, and its incredible characters, I had to get a copy of Michael Nyman's soundtrack.

Published on 8 Oct. 2012 by Omnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Music
Still trying to play it ...
Published 8 months ago by lizzyp

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 8 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)

To start with, I am outraged that the composer never got an Oscar for his work and especially for that movie. Indeed, he managed to create not only an incredible music, but also a second language to Ada, Holly Hunter's character, as she expresses through her piano her emotions and feelings to the other characters and viewers. For as she is mute, Ada's piano becomes her body, soul, and voice. And with the orchestral soundtrack played during the movie, this gives to the story a musical success that people haven't forgotten.

According to the leaflet in the album, we get to hear in the soundtrack Michael Nyman play the piano while conducting members of the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, and a team of wind-instrument musicians such as John Harle, Andrew Findon and David Roach playing instruments such as Saxophone and Flute. Alongside it, Michael Nyman get to write about his creative intentions, along with a nice theory as to how Ada might have invented her music.

Of the tracks that I liked, I adored so much all of them that I have difficulty in finding out which ones are my favorites. But if I were to keep five tracks of them in my soul, it would be "To the edge of the Earth", "Big My Secret", "The Heart asks Pleasure First", "The Embrace" and "All Imperfect Things".

As a last note to anybody who loved this album, I am glad that Michael Nyman released and made a Concerto out of the Piano soundtrack. It was a good way for him to compile and unite together some of the tracks and create an excellent concerto which he recorded in 1997 with the Ulster Orchestra. Another way for him to immortalize his wonderful soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Piano, 17 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
This CD is excellent for relaxing and entertaining piano music from a modern composer. You do not need to have seen the film 'The Piano' to appreciate the beautiful melodies especially 'The Heart seeks pleasure first' which is the best track in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 9 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
My theory goes that most movies named simply 'The *****' are worth watching. This masterpiece proves my theory in spades. A straightforward storyline with a twist or two, a sumptuous and haunting musical accompaniment, and immense acting drags you unceremoniously through every emotion known to man - elation, fear, humour, disguist - and then some. Ensure you'll have no interruptions for two hours, don't eat anything with wrappings that rustle, sit back and be awe-inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely heartfelt romanticism in a modern style, 3 Mar. 2011
Mr. Robert Marsland (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
This soundtrack goes along way to ensuring the effectiveness and success of the film of the same name. The tracks have a lovely melancholy vein and there is a fluidity to the piano playing that enraptures. The mood is Romantic but is played out in a way that is nearly altogether modern. The heart asks pleasure first is a particular highlight and conjours up images of the wild and ragged beach scenery of New Zealand shown in the film. just about perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 29 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
I heard this album a few years ago at a friends, and its due to this that I decided to take up learning to play the piano. I wanted to own the album myself and managed to find it on Amazon. I play this a lot both in the car and whilst meditating or just wanting to listen to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 31 Jan. 2011
C. Garcia Carricajo (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
Great music, great purchase. I was not sure if to purchase a new one or used one, so finally I decided to purchase the use one for a smaller price. So I am so happy that I got great music for a low price. I am not a music expert, I just know I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful CD, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
Ordered and delivered extremely promptly. Delighted with the price, delighted with the service. I've always loved this soundrack. Well done Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice sound track, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
Very nice sound track. This music is a gift to my 10 year old grandson who just loves classical music
in particular piano concerto's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying., 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
It arrived on time and the record is spotless - no cracks on the box or CD itself, it plays well, good quality sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars piano at it's best, 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture (Audio CD)
bought for the film music, easy to listen to,great piano player, good album to buy for anyone who enjoyed the film.

The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture
The Piano: Music From The Motion Picture by Michael Nyman (Audio CD - 2006)