5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, immersive, challenging - still a classic
Although "Medieval II" has been out for over a year now, this first "Medieval: Total War" remains a classic. This Gold Edition contains both the original game and the "Viking Invasion" expansion pack, allowing for a variety of campaigns set between the years AD 793 and 1453.

The game is split into two sections. The first of these is the campaign mode. In this...
Published on 28 Nov 2007 by The Wanderer

1.0 out of 5 stars Concerning Crashes - 5 star game once sorted.
This is actually a 5 star game, but considering the number of people stating the same fault with crashing on loading the campaign, I'll post here what the problem may be in many cases.

I had the problem with crashes until I realised that the screen resolution on the PC must be the same as that under the video options of the game. The highest setting in the...
Published 8 months ago by Mr. Nicholas W. Le Huquet

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, my favourite of the series, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
A brilliant blend of grand strategy and real time tactical battles. Initially I missed the exotic forces of Japan from Shogun, but before long MTW captured me and never let go.

There is rich historical detail, certainly enough to make this educational. It will give youngsters much greater enthusiasm for history (as will the others in the series).

I love all the Total War games (even the latest ones, patched up). This remains my favourite though. It's hard to say why. Perhaps it's because I prefer the area movement of this edition. The capturing of provinces struck me as being more realistic for the period and makes the game more like a computerised boardgame. Perhaps it's the history incorporated into each of the rival powers. Perhaps it's the challenge of playing as the Holy Roman Empire and always knowing that any defeat could fracture your precious empire.

In any case, everyone who enjoys historical wargames should have this. I will buy another copy and play it with my nephews. They loved Rome and I know they will love this, plus they get all that history brought to life...

Oh, if you have an old PC, no worries, this will run on old hardware better than more recent kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars good game, 4 Feb 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Not A bad game in the Total War series not the best but for the money very much worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Medieval Total War, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I have tried this game before - on my old computer and it is excellent - but it will not run on my new computer with Windows Vista

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Nice done mix of RTS and turn based strategy.I love history as well so I enjoyed that game from the first time I had it(maybe 8 years ago...).And still I have a big pleasure when I play it nowadays.
Must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Addicted, 3 Jan 2009
L. Richardson (uk) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I've been addicted to these games since discovering them many years ago. I've wasted countless hours playing them. I get lost in there and lose all track of time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only 5 factions!!!!, 15 May 2012
Mr. Rf Loach "Roywebcafe" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Be warned there are only 5 factions to choose from outside the campagins. The standard (Non gold) has 20 factions to choose from.

Campaigns are excellent - for a fiver can't complain

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like the plague, 9 May 2008
Simon Brown (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Whoever put toegther this gold edition made a real mess of it, the game is broken. Campaign tutorial won't load it just crahes. Battle tutorial, you get to the point telling you to left click on the ground at the base of a flag to move there and nothing will make the game do anything, plus you get an abuse voice telling you you're doing it wrong even though you're not (I've played all the TW games, including this one, so I know what I'm doing). There's a 2.01 gold patch on the sega website, which breaks the graphics (units dissapearing behind terrain, half the screen black). Plus I read multiplayer is completely broken in gold.

Anyway, next I try quick battle, select units, tell them to move somewhere, and they move in the complete opposite direction. Try the same thing with a few more units, again they're not moving to where I click, they're moving behind the camera to somewhere I can't even have clicked on because I can't see it. Put my cursor over enemies and no attack icon appears. There's literally no way to make any units attack the enemy.

Finally I try the campaing mode, select a campaign, select a faction, click start, the bar goes to full and the game crashes. A quick web search shows all these problems are common and not fixed by the patch.

Gold Edition is 100% broken, pointless and put together by monkeys, do yourself a huge favour and buy the non-gold version. Dear lord Sega/Creative Assembly how did you make such an awful mess of this? Shame on you. I can only assume the guy who gave it 5 stars reviewed it before trying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with NVidia cards, 11 April 2011
M. CARROLL (The Frozen North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Beware: I've tried this Gold Edition on three different computers (all with NVidia graphics cards of differing ages) and each time it was unplayable: the game crashes to desktop whenever I tried to load a saved game.

Each time I tried installing the patch and that didn't solve the problem. Total War gave instructions on how to try and solve the problem - namely by turning off antialiasing - but this did not help.

I feel that it is unfair to keep selling this without a warning about it not being compatible with newer NVidia cards.

Shame, as this was a great game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead loss, 7 July 2009
Brian Evans (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Loaded O.K. but does not run for more than four minutes. Now in waste bin

Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD)
Medieval: Total War - Gold Edition (PC DVD) by Mastertronic Ltd (Windows XP)
34.95