4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie!
Published on 28 Feb 2003 by the_clan_macleod

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent novelisation... but not much more
As you can probably guess from my rating of this, I have mixed feelings about this book.

Published 15 months ago by G. Allison

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie!, 28 Feb 2003
I am a long-time Star Trek fan and naturally I was happy with the announcement of this new film, the film disappointed (I won't go into why here) me but the book was simply stunning, through the last several novels JM Dillard has written she has constantly proved to be one of the finest authors, her novelisation of First Contact still stands as one of the finest Trek-books ever, and she does the same for Nemesis. Dillard goes into more detail of the characters and their motivations than the film had time to do, and includes a better story for the Nemesis of the title Shinzon. Naturally anyone who was upset by the film's lacklustre approach would enjoy this book as it shows you just why Star Trek was so good in the first place, rush out and buy it now

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent novelisation... but not much more, 25 April 2013
G. Allison (Glasgow UK) - See all my reviews

On the plus side, it's well written (I would guess for a mid-teen audience) and is a fairly faithful adaptation of the film. It's certainly more comprehensible than the film, which on first viewing I found to leave a lot of unanswered questions. Some of these are explored - Shinzon and Donatra are given some more backstory, for example. And the main cast, especially Picard and Troi, are well handled.

But for me it's failings are that these are not fleshed out further. The book follows the film perhaps a bit too closely. "Tell me more about the Remans," I thought more than once. They, and other characters, seemed no more than cannon-fodder at times.

As a straight novelisation of the film you won't be disappointed. If you want to delve into the world of Star Trek and learn something new, you probably will be.

Star Trek Nemesis (Star Trek The Next Generation)
Star Trek Nemesis (Star Trek The Next Generation) by Rick Berman (Hardcover - 13 Dec 2002)
Used & New from: 1.05