on 18 May 2012
This is one of my very favourite performances of any work. To me it is a privilege to hear Casals playing cello in this wonderful piece. There are probably performances with better and smoother ensemble and, perhaps, more careful phrasing and expression. The wonder of this performance is its full-bloodedness, with its occasional rough edges. These great artists are really enjoying themselves. Any other performance (and I have other very good ones) is relatively tame by comparison.

I am sad that anybody should find the performance 'plodding' - it was this comment in another review that impelled me to write this one. But perhaps some people prefer Wispelwey to Casals in the Bach cello suites. To me Wispelwey is colourless by comparison. But then I am a fan of Casals, great man and great musician. And of course there is no accounting for taste!
on 23 April 2012
One of the greatest performances around - heartfelt, intense and with (in the slow movement) the extraordinary sense of time standing still.
on 11 February 2013
I'm not aware of having bought this, although I love Schubert and also Paul Tortelier. If I did, please send it to me.
on 14 July 2011
Slow plodding dull sound. This may be considered a great performance, just look at all the amazing names here. There's an excess of background sound, sounds like someone breathing and chairs creaking. Completely uninspiring performaces, enough to put me off Schubert forever.