4.0 out of 5 stars Playability wins out
To put it blandly, Too Human is great if you like that sort of thing. I do, and I did, but I had to adjust my expectations of the game as I went along. I love a good RPG and was seduced by the promise of an action RPG. But it's not really...rather it's an action game with a few, almost cursory, RPG elements bolted on.

Building your character by assigning skill...
Published on 13 Nov. 2008 by griff1974

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but Rewarding with Perseverance
Too Human is an oddball game. I wasn't aware of the massive waiting time for this game, nor the giant fanbase all hoping it would be incredible. I came to the game late, with no preconceptions and little knowledge of its reception at the time of release.

Anyway, on to the review. Too human certainly starts well, it has a cut scene which calls on certain...
Published on 30 Nov. 2011 by Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked and Underated, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
It is a pity more people aren't aware of this game because it is better than some of the more recent and more expensive titles. Sure it has its faults, the camera can take a bit of getting used to, the graphics could be sharper and it can be a bit repetitive at times but overall it is very enjoyable with great replayability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Very good product perfect condition even though it says used, great game I bought it just to play with a friend and have been playing it more without him aha but still great game, I recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Human XBox360 review, 1 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I bought this game on Saturday so haven't played it loads yet but I am about a third of the way through on the champion character. Overall the game is great. I bought it because I wanted something different to the first person shooters as I really still struggle with the controls coming from a PC FPS background.

Anyway, good points first: Graphics are excellent but the sound is simply stunning and it really makes for an immersive experience. The gameplay is also great overall. I liked the flowing gameplay and zero load times. Also liking the leveling and skills to choose from. I'm still leveling up but there are some amazing weapons to choose from especially the big mofo guns that you can sit back and level enemies form a distance before getting into the thick of it with the melee weapons.

Not so good points: I'm finding the cut scenes and movie sections a bit boring and there are loads of them. I've played about 5 hours so far and a good hour of that is either watching movies or running around HQ looking for people to talk with. The only other real let-down is the lack of different enemies to fighjt. So far, I can count on the fingers of one hand the different types I have tackled. It does get juiced up a bit as each enemy can carry different weapons and defences but still it is a bit lacking.

All in all, I am growing to realy like this game and even now, it does have that replay value that is really rare in games these days (just one more go). Buy this game if you like sci-fi stories and loads of loot collecting and also killing LOTS of bad guys. Seeing about 40 goblins running towards you from a mile off is an amazing site and that alone really shows off the power of the XBox360 to be able to animate from that distance away.

Nice one!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Human for a tory! lol, 28 July 2013
Mrs. K. Mcdonald (Manchester, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Great game, took a while to get into it, but it was worth it in the end. Would recommend this game to others who like savagery like moi! lol

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Sept. 2008
J. Roberts "JR" (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Everyone, I'm an RPG fan. KOTOR, Mass Effect etc are my favorite games. Too Human is not a real RPG. Xbox classify it as "Action/RPG" but really it only has a few elements of an RPG, leveling up with new powers, better weapons and armor etc, lacking any side missions at all.

Whats good? Graphics are great, sound track is excellent.

Issues with the game (hence why i've given it a 2/5) Silicon Knights read!

There is no block, only a dodge button. The problem with this is that it never takes you far enough away to be able to mount a counteract.

There are no side quests! What is the point in having an 'open world' RPG if you have nothing to explore minus the main quests. If i am a god, why can't i go and assist mere humans with some task, far beneath my godly status? Or why cant i kill a few of them and nick there money? WHY SILICON KNIGHTS WHY! ITS NOT AN RPG WITHOUT SIDE QUESTS TO BUILD YOUR ARSENAL AND CYBERSPACE DOES NOT COUNT.

Lack of exploration: There are 4 levels, each taking 3-4 hours to complete. Apart from that you have 6 other locations in one ship to visit, a prison, a tree, repair weapons, repair armor, feasting hall and the bosses office. THATS IT! No other exploration expect cyber space which nothing happens in.

The Story: You start straight into the action, nothing wrong with that and a small bit is introduced during the first level. Through out the game though, you have no real understanding of the past prior to the game and why this war is happening. It makes it hard to buy into it when your never really sure what the hell is going on. And i don't want to have to go on a University and study a course to understand the methodology.

Gameplay: The fiddly controls start to work as you get used to the combo system. The problem is that its not easy enough for novice or casual gamers to get to grips with and this creates a problem for the game, the developers aren't going to make enough money if just the serious gamers buy it, they need a cross section of the gaming community to buy into it.

Re-spawning: O my, this took 1 star off straight away. At first, its a nice re-spawn, getting lifted into paradise but after you've died countless times it just gets boring and extremely frustrating. I hated this part of the game and you can't fast forward it.

Targeting System: Its awful, to pick out a single enemy is to fiddly its unreal. During the final boss battle, to pick her out amongst the mass of constantly re-spawning zombies is so dam difficult. This was extremely annoying and quite an obvious flaw to anyone who tested it.

Mega Powers: Its useless, you get one power attack per leveling up! Useless, by the end it takes over an hour to level up at 20 ish level, so no powers! Your meant to be a god for goodness sake, its simply not enough that when you jump and land, your feet make a loud noise and enemies near by fall over theatrically. Thats it, its useless and took another star off the rating.

Level Design: All the levels are effectively the same, long corridors where enemies just spawn in front of you as you wonder around pointlessly killing machines and zombies. You just wonder around, i feel this doesn't work again because of the lack of any side missions.

Finally, the game is boring! I'm sorry, some people here like it but the story is not gripping and actually quite dull. The great games that have become trilogies, e.g. Halo are rarely designed to be 1 of a trilogy, they have to become a trilogy because the game was so popular.

This game stops just when it needs to start. A classic example of this is that after the final boss battle you are free to wonder the gods building again. I thought the game must continue because the credits were not rolling. So i went and brought a load of new armor (orange which i believe is the second highest), went to the feasting hall and the game finished! Why let me go and buy it, why, just end the story. Then you just continue your saved game and go back to the first level.

Overall, this game feels really rushed which is ironic considering its probably one of the longest games stuck in development ever. You can tell this was meant to be a launch title on the 360, to show people the power of the graphics. But launch was many years ago now and this poor attempt by a games developer is not acceptable now. I brought the game for £20 in a supermarket 4 days after launch, i can see why now. You have to give it some serious time to learn to like this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diablo meets WoW, 22 Oct. 2008
Cerberus (London , England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I think this game got far to much stick and as word is going round on xlive more and more people are getting it .
If you like diablo or warcraft then the chances are you will like this also .

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 23 Sept. 2008
Dennis A. Sears (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game is brilliant if your an RPG fan or enjoy fighting swarms of enemies with swords and hammers. This is the game for you
here are some pro's and cons
Pro's
. good graphics
. classes are unique
. storyline is brilliant

con's
. controls are a bit iffy
. camera can get annoying
. death sequence can be frustrating

Well this certainly can't be game of the year but could be a contender for best RPG of the year and i wouldn't pay full price for it.
I'd wait for it to lower in price to at least £30 i got mine free at game from trading in a few games.

Overall 4/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Have to disagree, 7 Aug. 2008
F. Franklin "Surells" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Obviously I don't want to write a review before the game is out, as even the demo can't give you enough info to review a 40 hour game. However, I feel it necessary to say I had a completley different experience to the other reviewer. I found the combat system lots of fun, its a little tough to get used to at first because its so different, but once you've got the hang of it I found it very intuative, plus it does make you feel really god-like, as your character sort of slides towards whatever enemy your pointing at, so you kill one guy then swoop across the screen to another, flip him into the air, jump up then shoot him into the floor.
I would also have to disagree about the graphics, I thought they were very good, and though they were a bit framy at times, I would point out that betas are seperate entities to the finished game, and have to be built in isolation, and obviously the SK team wouldn't waste time polishing the FR on a demo. SK has a very good reputation, so I'd be surprised if they fell down on something as fundamental as frame rate.
None of this really indicates whether you should get the game, but I don't think I'm in a position to write a full review yet, I just wanted to counterbalance the other point made so that people who do not have access to live and the demo would not be scared away.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept but couldn't be executed any worse., 16 Sept. 2012
John Roberts (Barnsley, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When you actually wake up and realize how much of a grind this game is, you'll see exactly how I am entitled to give this game 2 stars on the "overall" factor. Too Human was a great idea when it was announced in the Official XBOX 360 Magazine, giving us Norse mythos setting in the sci-fi genre. But ever since its release, it went downhill and still hasn't met its inevitable death. Why? Because people still cling onto the thought of this being a salvagable game that - in a few years - will become a classic.

I say this review not out of rage but out of disappointment. For 2 years I'd waited for this release, especially when I was in love with Norse mythology. I was one of the few people in the world who bothered to fall in love with this game. It was beautiful back when it was released, but it has not aged well in the slightest.

It fails to be historically correct despite being a work of fiction, putting Norse names like Odin and Thor over completely unrelated things. It's like as if the developers were handed a list of names and were free to label anything related to the story with them. What an insult to a great religious belief.

But onto the gameplay. Players may think that using the right analogue stick frees up some room, but really it's as though you're aiming with the stylus and using that to shoot and move in Kid Icarus: Uprising. No. It doesn't work. Hence why Kid Icarus didn't do it. For the few hours you'll play this game, you'll be holding the right analogue stick in one of three directions, attacking your foes with either ranged or melee weapons.

You'll also die a lot which takes up way too much of your playtime, and it's not even punishing. If you die, your armour loses some durability. So what? I'm not restarting at a checkpoint or reloading a save? No punishment means no challenge, it just means running and falling over every few seconds until I reach the boss.

In all this game fails to be interesting and after two hours you'll stop and say "wait, didn't I do this earlier? Oh never mind, I have to do it for the next 24 HOURS!". I only recommend this for under £10.

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 18 Sept. 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Too Human (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I bought this game after running out of games and wanting a new one. I was told this game was a 40 hour epic so thought why not?

I completed the game in 12 hours andhave now completed it 3 times in under 35 hours. But the fact that I played the game this much is, I suppose a good thing, shows that I wanted to turn it on again.
BUT I do have some massive issues with this game.

The first is the fact that when you die you have to sit waiting for the 10 long death scene every death (which i'll come back to as this isn't my main problem here) but when you come back to live the game is in the exact place when you died. So if you have done half damage to an enemy and die, it has half life when you come back to live. Which basically means it is impossible to not complete this game, you can randomly press buttons and eventually with no real skill you'll get through the game as you cannot get stuck forever on a hard section. This takes the fun out of playing an "epic" somewhat when you know anyone could complete this game if they just persist with no skill.

My second major issue with this game is the fact that this game comes to life a bit after you have completed it. This seems like a strange issue i'll admit but my feeling on a game is no game should be better the second time you play it through. Maybe it should be about the same but i genuinely didn't enjoy playing this game through the first play, but I had paid for the game and didn't want to just put the game on the shelf forgotten so persevered and hated it. The first play through, your charecter is weak, and doesn't feel like the warrior God he is. Also I found all the cutscenes long and boring, which you can at least skip but the first play through you want to know the storyline. The second play through your charecter feels more like the God he is supposed to be. The first play through I died nearly 100 times, (now I could admit this is because I wasn't enjoying and not being particually good but still, a God shouldn't get the crap kicked out of him so easily and regularly). The second play through I died nowhere near 100, more like 15 ish.

But this dying brings me onto the single most irritating bit of gaming in any game I have ever played (this is no exageration, it has left me shouting at the tele). In terms of the first two it's more a poor bit of game programming. Surely someone who tested the game realised how annoying the death scene is? Everytime you die, (and remember the first time I completed this it was over 100 times in 12 hours of gameplay) you have to wait for an Angel to retrieve you and then take you to heaven before you can continue. And there is NO WAY AT ALL you can skip this, it takes about 10 seconds and is HUGELY irritating in a game based on fast epic battles, where everytime you die you must sit there doing nothing for 10 seconds everytime you die. It sounds like a minor thing and the first 10 time you die you won't even give ti a second thought, but then you come into a major battle during your first play through and you die, wait 10 seconds, then come back to live right where you were standing and before you can move and fight you die again, another 10 seconds, and so on. You will be pulling your hair out over this one I promise.

Now after reading this review I should say I couldn't give it 1 star as I have played it through to completion 3 times with over 30 hours of gameplay, but in all honesty I haven't enjoyed the bulk of them, but there are moments when you feel like the God your charecter is and that is a lot of fun, but these moments are sadly few and far between. Graphics wise I was impressed and also the range of weapons and armour was nice, but my first 3 points sadly dominate my thoughts on this game and that is why I would advise people to bypass this game and wait for something else.

Too Human (Xbox 360)
Too Human (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)