4.0 out of 5 stars A nice take on the SimCity games....
We have all played Simcity, those who are older might even remember Caesar on the Amiga500 or Centurion. Well this is a mix of Simcity and Caesar with a dash of Centurion.

Its a well made and strong city building game with more emphasis on the building and maintaining then the battles of rome.

First off is the fantastic graphics. They are realy well...
Published on 3 Aug. 2006 by A R Hartley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as expected...
I was really looking forward to buying this game, been a big Civ player and also having worked my way through Ceaser and Master of Olympus/Atlantis and Master of the Empire (which all still get alot of play in our house) I think I expected this to be a nice mixture of the genres.

Published on 14 Aug. 2006 by Mrs P

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as expected..., 14 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)

I wasn't overly disapointed, the graphics are nice, but the buildings are a little 'samey' even though there are a lot of them - it can be confusing when placing shops as they all look the same from above, and generally need to placed relatively close together. the landscapes are lovely though, especially the water effects, even on my decidadly average graphics card.

like the reviewer above I find the idea of having a limited distance around housing to place other buildings a bit of a pain that detracts from gameplay not adds to it.

The research tree is a bit disappointing too - instead of researching advances to be able to build buildings, most of them just give you a boost, and once you research one advance you have to remember to set it off agin manually on the next one, which you will probably forget if you are busy in the city.

My main problem is the delete 'shoval'. there is no highlighting of items you are to delete before you do it like in Zeus, it just takes the building straight out, and the bloody thing is so innacurate - even when zoomed in - that most of the time is deletes the wrong thing. when you try to delete a bit of road you can end up taking out a full granary or warehouse - like i did (ggrrr) and ther is no UNDO tool/button!!!! if somebody out there knows of how to UNDO please let me know??!!

Apart from these niggles so far I have spent a good few hours submerged in this game, and probaly will in the future. Although it hasn't quite lived up to my expectations, there is a lot to do and build in this game and it would take a while to get bored of it. And there aren't many games where you can see an ostrich pecking a man to death....

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to get excited over, 11 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I had high expectations for Civcity Rome because I like strategy games of different types. First off the Graphics are ok, but they are no way outstanding. Games such as Age of empires 3 really put the graphics in CivCity Rome to shame. Graphics are not everything, so how do I rate the gameplay? well I find it very shoddy. Building games are suppose to be fun, but thats something CivCity Rome is seriously lacking. When work buildings are placed then the worker will need housing, which is perfectly logical. However for a shack to progress for instance to a small hut the shack will need to be a certain distance from a service such as a well. As the game progresses different services are avaliable, which will if placed correctly will allow the housing to be upgraded further such as a small to a medium hut for instance. This gets incredbly tedious and is as interesting as paint drying. The voices are also anoying like when the advisor advises that the food granary is empty. I find CivCity Rome hard to recommend. If you enjoy strategy games where building is a key concept then Stronghold 2 is a very worthy recommendation.

2.0 out of 5 stars my opinion, 29 Dec. 2006
Civ4fan90 (Seattle Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
At first this seams like a good game and all, but that's until you run into it's problems.

the delete tool is almost useless compared to other games I've played and the campaign is almost impossible after a few missions.

If you take the peaceful route chances are you'll get to mission 4 and never win. if you take the War one, I still can't get past mission 2.

you have a certain range in the which residents for buildings can get the things they need and it is very hard to fulfill every need with in that range so your houses can grow.

Only 3 of the temples are small, the other 3 are HUGE! 0_0

If you compare this game to Civilization 3 and 4, Empire Earth, Pharaoh and the Caesar games, it isn't worth your time until they greatly improve it. If your new to city builders you'll get your kicks for a while.

I will say this, it's better than Caesar 4 which was a disillusionment, but I'd much rather play Civ. 4 (which has MUCH better graphics)

So for all the city and civ vets, don't waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice take on the SimCity games...., 3 Aug. 2006
A R Hartley "Monkey" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)

First off is the fantastic graphics. They are realy well made, giving a beautiful and shiney polished look to the gameplay. Much like Age Of Empires III, the enviroment looks much more realistic, adding depth to the experience.

The gameplay is good, although sometimes things feel a little long drawn, "food low build more kebab shops" messages! you get my drift :op. This can be annoying as you already know the problem but the computer wants to remind you its there time and time again.

The building side of the game is extremely easy and you will find your city blooming fast, but making it powerful and famous is the difficult task and this can take a long time with some serious graft in gaming time.

Sounds - The usual, the annoying man reminding you of everyday things thats going on and same old tweets from the birds blah blah. The score is good, does well to go with the flow of the gaming.

Overall - Definately worth a look if you liked Simcity or fancey a game more or less the same except with Romans. A solid and well made godgame, give it some hard graft and it will pay off with a rewarding gaming experience....8/10

1.0 out of 5 stars All been done before, 9 Sept. 2006
Mr. R. J. Rawcliffe "Game Critic 2006" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This game is playable but it has been done before, infact years ago. If you were to play Ceasar 3 on the PC you will see absolutely no difference in game play, buildings, what people say, what you have to do etc... Everything down to the smallest detail is the exactly the same. No word of a lie.

The only thing that differs with this game is the slightly better graphics.

If you haven't played Ceasar 3 or similar titles this game will probably be enjoyable but the likeness to such games is a total let down and surely they are breaching some sort of copyright on the game because its unbelieveably similar, infact not even similar, it is the same.

Bearing in mind Ceasar 3 is now 7 years old, produced by Sierra, Impression Games and Viveni Universal. Either they were way ahead of their time or Firefly are way behind the times.

OVERALL

Pros - Enjoyable if you haven't played games like Ceasar 3 or similar titles, nice graphics and a nice addition to the Sid Meiers production line.

Cons - Its been done before, over 7 years ago and offers nothing new that people haven't seen before. Nothing special at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Civ City Rome, 22 Oct. 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I bought this game a little while ago, it was cheaper then. For Caesar 3 fans, this is a very good game, you have the added bonus of upgrading technologies in the game, which of cause takes money, but tut, tut, I use a cheat, just for the money.

I personally like this game, but I am Pharoah, children of the nile, Zoo tycoon, Caesar 3, Settler's and Civilization 4 fan. So I am utterly boring to my adult children, the 3 males preferring shoot outs.

The only downside to the game, is the increase in price and the Delete tool in the game which isn't very accurate, I've lost quite a few buildings, that's why the money cheats good, I'm also hoping they get a patch out for this delete tool problem. Apart from that in my humble opinion, if you like similar games to me, you'll enjoy the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very thought out., 4 Aug. 2008
E. E. Hughes (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I'm a fan of city building games, so I decided to give this a go despite the rating it has received. I thought: 'It can't be all that bad, surely?'. I was wrong. The game was disappointing from the start. I persevered for three long evenings trying to enjoy it and just found myself going through the (quite dull) motions.

The things I liked about the game were the graphics. There are some nice details and obviously a lot of effort has gone into making the game look good. The score sounds alright too, nothing special, but then nothing special is required.

The problems with the game are many; I'm going to talk about the main ones:

The maps are too small and many of the buildings are too big. Although obviously scaled for realism, they fill up the screen. It would be alright if you could zoom out more, but you can't.

Unlike other city building games that I have played (such as Caesar 3) the population is out of your control. It doesn't matter what number of houses you put down, if your city is liked by the citizens the population rises. If citizens can't live in a house they will sleep at their place of work, but if you haven't built enough workplaces (because city building isn't about constantly building willy-nilly, but about picking and choosing) you then get vagabonds. This does not stop your population rising, but it does trigger a slow descent of city happiness until people start leaving. My solution to this was to either yo-yo between these two states or to build useless/unwanted buildings in one corner of my map to accommodate them. In most city building games solution 2 would be ruled out because of money problems...this leads me to problem number 3.

The game is too easy to complete. I never had any problems generating money. Unlike other city building games with this one I could walk out of the room without worrying that something might happen (there are no gods to keep happy etc). And if I stayed I tended to be bored with the uneventful climb to completion.

I understand where they were going with this game. The way the houses upgrade is a little more interesting and the little touches of Roman life (watching my citizen marry, have kids and get rich enough to own slaves) are interesting too. Sadly though the game doesn't pull through.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 13 April 2009
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
We have all witnessed the triumphs of titles such as Civilisation and its sequels, but Civ City has nothing new to bring to the table. In fact, it appears to bring nothing to the table at all. Playability is a big issue with this game and despite its adequate visual quality it lacks any direction in the story mode and in free form.

I found one of the major issues to be the extent to which the player is able to zoom out; present also in Sim City Societies, this restriction makes it difficult to oversee large areas of land. Instead, you are locked onto a close-up whereever you go. The narration is terrible. Whatever action you take, your very irritating advisor pipes out with the most ridiculous, basic advice that a five year old wouldn't need. "You can't cite a town centre over water", really?

The tasks you are given in the story mode lack excitement and attention. Missions such as producing a certain ammount of olive oil to impress the emperor didn't captivate me at all.

I got bored of this game very quikly and will recede back to the classics such as Age of Empires and Pharoah. Not recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sid, leave the city sims to the pros..., 6 Oct. 2006
S. Davies "Man in the Moon" (S Wales) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
With the Civ pedigree and expectation after Firaxis & Meyer's superb Civ 4, I had no hesitation in grabbing this game off the shelf.

And now it seems I've got another piece of plastic I couldn't flog for a fiver on eBay.

This is the most disappointing release I've seen in a long time. The graphics are blocky and lousy. The interface is too big and simplistic. The accuracy of the mouse pointer is hopeless and can lead to wiping out half your city when you just want to delete a small tree. The buildings are huge compared to the land you're given and I soon found myself filling it up to placate the unemployed etc. The downside to this is when I took on the next mission and had to develop the town, I found myself tearing it down in order to build it up. And was it all worth it? Naaahhh.

And what is it with the food production? I had to lay down countless goat farms to feed the ravening horde of a couple of hundred cosmopolitans. And I watched two episodes of The X Files while waiting for the wine trade requirement to be fulfilled. The list could go on and on...

I'm a veteran of city builders from Pharaoh to Rise of the Middle Kingdom. And I couldn't get past mission 4 on this. I tried several times with several strategies. I just gave up after that.

It's enough to say that a seven-year old release like Caesar 3 blows this effort out of the water. If you're a vet, don't even bother with this. If you're new to city building, try Zeus or ROTMK instead - and wait for Sierra's Caesar 4...

2.0 out of 5 stars Cramped and fiddly, 18 Jan. 2007
Sue Bentley (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I love all the Civs, but this game does not live up to that heritage. The space you are given to build your village/city etc is much too small, you have to knock things down to build other things rather than develop the city to something bigger and better. The graphics are less than brilliant, the delete system is awful and the missions are mundane.

The game plays as though the programmers are not really city-build fans themselves. For example, you have no idea if there are enough people working in a building. Why not show 24/30 instead of just 24?

Disappointing

What a shame! back to [...] which is stil the best..........

Civ City: Rome (PC DVD)
Civ City: Rome (PC DVD) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows XP)