5.0 out of 5 stars Tough box
This review is before my ski trip - I shall adjust the review afterwards if necessary. The Skicase is solidly made, and of simple construction - 2 pieces of blow moulded plastic that sleeve over one another and held at the required distance using a split pin once your skis, poles and anything else you can sneak in is in it.

The wheels seem tough and make moving...
Published on 5 Dec 2011 by Paul Grant

3.0 out of 5 stars Reserving Judgement
Just picked up my Sport Tube from the carrier. When I unpacked it, my first impression was that the Sport Tube appears to be made of relatively flimsy-looking plastic and probably cost only a few pounds to manufacture. Do not expect Samsonite; it is more like the grade of plastic used to make compost bins.

The two halves are joined together at a single point...
Published on 21 Dec 2011 by J. Lambert

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough box, 5 Dec 2011
Paul Grant - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sportube Series Original Hard Sided Skicase (Sports)

The wheels seem tough and make moving the packed unit a lot easier than balancing a set of skis using a central handle or shoulder strap.

You put the skis in tip-to-tail and bindings together with the waxed side facing out. It is supplied with 2 bands to pull the brakes up, and then this allows the skis, with poles placed down the middle, to slide into the bottom (wheeled) half of the Skicase. The upper half is then slipped over the top and the pin is inserted through the closest hole to hold the combination together. The inside ends of the tube are fitted with foam to prevent the skis moving once in the closed case. Because of the way the skis face each other there is some room "down the middle" to put small items in the case, e.g. socks, hats etc, but obviously the skis may be damp after use so don't go sticking valuable water sensitive gear in there!

There is no window, or sticker for putting your name/contact on the skis, so you may want to consider how to identify/mark your case. I will be investing in some white paint.

I bought my Skicase in the recent "Black Friday" deals so got it quite a bit cheaper than normal Amazon price. I would guess the case's value lies in how expensive your skis were/are and how much you trust the airlines with handling them. Rumours of airlines insisting on hardcases are new to me, but it makes sense to me to look after valuable equipment when it is out of your posession.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reserving Judgement, 21 Dec 2011
J. Lambert "sleekpony" (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews

The two halves are joined together at a single point with a spring clip. The clip looks like it could easily flick undone, even without the rigours of baggage handling. For a price of over 100 for the 2 ski carrier, I was disappointed to find that a lock, which I view as a necessity, has to be ordered separately. The Sport Tube has wheels to allow you to pull it along. However, the handle to allow you to do this has also to be purchased separately!

The instructions as to how to prepare the skis to go into the sport tube are not particularly easy to follow and I am concerned that the elastic bands supplied to hold the skis' brakes back flush on the bindings will bend the brake arms or damage the springs.

I have yet to travel with the Sport Tube, so am reserving judgement. It will offer more protection than the soft bag that I had before. I am, however, disappointed in the quality, the flimsy, single point connection of the two halves and the failure to include essential accessories in a price that seems very high for what is actually supplied. I think it will probably do its job, although at the moment, I am glad that my skis are insured...

Addendum
I have had the Sport Tube for over a year now and it HAS protected my skis. The airline baggage handlers did manage to put an enormous dent in it, however. The skis were unharmed, as it is a double carrier and the dent was fortunately in the top of the side that contained the shorter pair skis, so there was no ski beneath the impact zone. If it were a single carrier, I have no doubt that it would have been an insurance claim. The Sport Tube is certainly not bulletproof, but does offer more protection than a cloth bag. I have now taken further measures to protect my skis - I drive to Europe rather than fly. The Sport Tube is great on the roof rack and I have full control over its handling!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 30 Mar 2011
just what we wanted. robust. easy to load. takes 2 pairs of skis and poles without problem. Easy to handle courtesy of the robust wheels. survived the worst that BHX and GVA baggage handlers could throw at it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but parts missing, 29 Feb 2012
The Sportube 3 arrived within 48 hours using standard delivery so no problems there.

On opening the box, the Sportube looks massive and my tests have proved that it is easily capable of taking 3 pairs of skis and for those of you who have been seduced by the dark side (snowboarders) there should be no problems fitting your boards inside.

The Sportube is extremely heavy at just under 7kgs and if you are thinking of taking 3 pairs of skis on a flight then you may well have problems with the 23kg maximum case weight imposed by so many airlines these days. For myself, I intend to pack 2 pairs of downhill skis and 2 pairs of langaluf skis (yes they will all fit inside with room to spare) so the weight should be OK as the langlauf skis weigh hardly anything.

On the minus side, hence the 4 star rating, the Sportube 3 arrived without the shoulder strap promised in the product description and without any bands to secure the ski bindings in the open position and without which the skis will not fit into the box. A phone call to Amazon has since resolved the problem and the missing parts are on their way.

As a suggestion, you may find that a fully loaded Sportube 3 is too heavy and cumbersome to carry on your shoulder anyway so the towing handle may be a useful optional accessary although the handles supplied are perfectly adequate for pulling it behind you.

Sportube do offer straps to secure the box to roof bars but, looking at the design the roof bars on your car would have to be set the right distance apart (not always possible unless you have roof rails) and even then I wouldn't be comfortable with this option.

5.0 out of 5 stars More robust than you'd think., 18 Mar 2014
As I was saying... (Bielefeld, Germany) - See all my reviews
I've had a double Sportube for about 10 years now and ski regularly throughout each season, always using the Sportube if I fly. I've probably used it and lent it to friends about 20 times now. I'd hesitate to say the plastic is indestructable but I can't imagine anything as robust as this for the equivalent weight. Suffice it to say I consider my skis to be very safe and the Sportube a really good investment. I take the point made by another reviewer about the carrying handle and lock not being provided with the item but not everyone would want these as they might have their own. Indeed I used my own lock and self-made handle for a while but have now purchased both. I love the fact that you can get so much kit into the tube as well as your skis and there's no weight limit on sports kit, just a single hold luggage price. I've also purchased the special bags to pack kit in to go in between the skis; protects your clothing, gloves, goggles, etc. really well. Not strictly necessary but cracking bits of kit nonetheless.
Universally, baggage handlers are awful aren't they? I've had so many luggage items dented, ripped and damaged it is far to depressing to think about it. It does make you wonder if they're taught anything before starting work other than 'just lob it around, you don't have to care, you just have to do it quickly'. Bottom line is you can't be too careful. Robust luggage is expensive and yet it makes sense to invest in it if you value your contents. Happy ski hols people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get one, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sportube Series Original Hard Sided Skicase (Sports)
Don't mess around, worth every penny to keep your ski's from getting damaged in transit.
We have fitted 3 pairs of 2 meter 10 cm cross country skis and 3 pairs of poles in ours!
The great thing is you can shrink and extend it to fit, we even transport our longbows around when it's not ski's!
Has a carry strap as well as a trundle handle for wheeling around the airport, just remember how long it is before you wipe out the people at the check in desk, hee hee.

5.0 out of 5 stars great bit of gear, 2 Jan 2014
Malcolm Alderton "malc20" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sportube Series Original Hard Sided Skicase (Sports)
On the face of it this is a big plastic box to put skis in but the design is excellent and well proven. the tube adjusts to fit the size of ski ( or other gear) with some padding inside either end of the tubes. It comes with a pull strap which can be removed and a non-locking pin closure which clips both ends of he tube together. I would recommend buying a lock ( the sport tube TSA cable lock is ideal) to lock the tube if travelling by air or the box is out of sight. The tube is fastened through holes in both tubes to ensure a solid closure. I found that my Skis and poles fitted in snugly and having spent nearly 600 on new skis and poles, I feel confident they will arrive in good condition.

One tip - as the skis are put together with bindings facing each other - I found that putting an old towel or similar between the ski bindings helped stop them scratching each other.

The tube also comes with two very strong rubber straps to hold the ski brakes flat so you can slide the skis into the tube. I would also suggest using a couple of webbing straps to hold the skis together to make it easier to put hem into the tube.

the wheels on the end of the tube are fairly substantial so should last and travel well.

Final tip - as all the tubes look the same - I would suggest putting something distinctive on the outside so you can recognise your Sport Tube - I use some ski and resort stickers to make my tube distinctive.

A quick Update from March 2014 - having used them in anger as it were this season I can say that they do the job superbly well - Skis an poles were safe and unmarked, I managed to squeeze some additional clothing in between the skis ( about an additional 4 Kg worth ) which also helped with my overall luggage allowance as well. :) The Sporttube Lock was also well worth purchasing for my peace of mind as at Innsbruck airport the skis are delivered outside of he terminal before you clear customs... I will buy another for my Wife but will probably wait for the Black Friday offers again as it Only cost 69 when I bought it this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, durable and practical snowboard case, 27 Jun 2013
This is one of the best hard cases on the market right now (if not the best).

The two outer halves slide together and have multiple locking positions to choose from when bolting them together. As a result you can vary exactly how long it is to match your board sizes - no overtight fits, no sliding around, just a nice snug fit. The handles are positioned fairly equally making it a breeze to manouvre manually and there's wheels on the underside for the rest of the time.

The weight was around the 7kg mark which is pretty standard for these kinds of cases. We were able to fit both our medium size boards in there with jackets and still came in under the weight limits imposed by budget airlines. There's space to fit one a half sets of snowboard boots in there too, but you'll probably go over the 25kg mark if yours weigh as much as ours.

The plastic is super rigid once you have the two halves together and with a little padding on the ends of the boards you're not going to get much better protection than this.

With the ability to adjust the length to your needs you get all the protection of a hard case without the size and weight problems they can sometimes come with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ski case, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Sportube Series Original Hard Sided Skicase (Sports)
Essential for transporting your skis and pole so they don't get damaged in transit. Worth checking your baggage allowance if you're flying. Most long hall flights seem ok with the slight additional weight. With Easy jet I had to check my partners boots in with my skis, since her boots are much smaller and lighter, to avoid their excess baggage charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skicase V skibag, 1 Feb 2011
Vicky and I love skiing like a pair of born again teenagers and try to get two trips a year in. Our old bag was getting battered and torn plus with no wheels heavy to carry, we also had to try and protect it with bin liners which flapped while on the roofrack. Our new sportube was an excellent buy ! it's easy to pull, easy to secure on roofrack, water resistant, easy to wipe clean and even the baggage assistant at the airport commented why doesn't everyone have these.