Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 April 2011
Class is this Jam LP ,as they moved on from there early days of Rhythm & Blues,Soul to record 60's Garage styled Punk to the Power Pop of New Wave MOD-pop-art sounds, Wellers writing getting a better production than on the 'Modern World' album,so maturing into a more Modish controlled Frenzy & sometimes smoother & melodically well polished in a PopArt kinda way for a band coming out of & marching onward from Punkrocks beginnings
- The Pistols split,The Clash partly sold out,Generation X went Idol & The Jam ended up alone almost & were in a 'Strange Town'(another great single/45).
Is this British Modrock with the Ray Davies,Small Faces & early Who tinged with Wellers own Englishness that isn't often taken well by the American public & media overseas,well it's all musical history now.
Great Lp/Album/Cd/Cassette,i recommend that you buy this...
All Mod Cons

All Mod Cons [VINYL]
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2006
1979...All Mod Cons....... the first penultimate Jam album.

The aggression of the first two albums is still here but with a certain style and class that puts it leagues above the rest so far.

The remaster is superb and although I cannot comment on the 5.1 mix it still comes across as having much more depth and clarity than any previous version. The drums and bass are crystal clear and really make you remember that Paul Weller wasn't the only contributer to the Jam sound. Foxtons bass is pounding throughout and Ricks drums are leading the way.

Superb stuff!

No doubt the fact you are looking at this review you know this album well, in which case you will know all the songs on the album. Even more exciting would be if you haven't heard it but are thinking about it.

The classic 'Tube Station', 'A' Bomb & 'David Wattts' are just the tasters.

'Mr Clean' is a song that still reminds of youthful energy and state of mind, seeing those that have more and wanting to destroy or rebel against.

'To Be Someone', a realisation that it could actualy be very nice to have all these things even if it is a shallow existance.

Weller has that rare art of being able to make you connect to his lyrics in a way that you feel like he is singing about you for you. Along with the power of his guitar and the 'Bloke up the road' style of vocals, this makes for one excellent package.

The original album had 12 tracks, this has an extra 14, made up of B sides and demos. A well worthy add on.

The second disc has a dvd documentary of the making of the album, with recent interviews with all three members.

Its great to see them all again talking 'Jam', even if they are in seperate locations.

It also contains a solo acoustic version of Weller singing 'English Rose'. I was hoping this would have been from that period but it is a up to date Weller performing.

Still worthwhile though.

Lets hope they repackage a few, if not all, of them in the near future.

'THIS WAS THE MODERN WORLD'...and for some of us still would be!!
on 15 November 2006
This album is a must purchase... If you like anything mod or even indie then shame on you if you do not already own a copy of this timeless masterpiece of modern music, everyone else could benefit from giving it a listen. Quite simply this is one of the best, well-rounded albums ever to be released. Every song has been crafted and although lyrically beautiful it is never trying to be too clever or wordy. Songs of all tempos are gelled together by very impressive turns from all the band and all topped off with an excellent cover of the Kinks 'David Watts' right in the middle. Love it!!! The Jam did other quality albums, but this is Weller and co at their best.
on 6 September 2006
It continues to surpise me that this album is never really hailed with the frequently seen lists of 'Classic Albums' in the music press.

Paul Weller came of age on this album. The first two Jam albums were promising and vibrant, exciting and passionate - but essentially they lacked any real craft and finesse. They were very much a product of the time. When The Jam embarked on this album, it could easily have been their last after the disappointment of The Modern World. Instead of imploding and disappearing into obscurity along with The Ruts or 999, The Jam came up with their very best work.

The quality of the songwriting on this album is incredible given the age of Paul Weller when he wrote these songs. "Mr Clean", "Tube Station", "English Rose" and "To Be Someone" are wonderfully written songs and The Jam create an edgy, dynamic sound that truly stands the test of time.

"In The Crowd" and "It's Too Bad" were long-time live favourites and when Paul Weller recently re-introduced In The Crowd into his solo live set, the audience reaction was euphoric (backwards guitar sound and all). "Billy Hunt" appears on this album too and Graham Coxon's version is pretty much xeroxed from the one you hear on here and indeed you can almost picture a teenage Coxon singing along in his bedroom to this great collection of songs.

I never tire of this album - I do not think there is a weak song on it and it is by far the best album The Jam made and really is massively underrated by those supposedly in the know. As for this version- I can only give it a huge thumbs up all round and thoroughly recommend it.
on 7 December 2006
This is a superb album. I've owned the vinyl since the day it was released, and it is one of the very few albums which has stood the test of time and remains as good to listen to as ever.

The quality is outstanding, not just in terms of the music and lyrics, but also in terms of production and (for the original vinyl) the pressing. This CD & DVD add even more to the package, though it's the vinyl I'll probably continue to treasure. It's a very pared-down, uncluttered, spacious production throughout, and all the better for it. Proof that less can be more.

I'm tempted to say this is Weller at his absolute best, but I don't want to demean everything he's achieved since, so I'll say it's easily the best thing The Jam ever did. Every track is outstanding, but the 'weakest' is the Kinks cover, David Watts, which speaks volumes for the rest of this album.

You need this, so buy it!
on 15 June 2006
A peak in the history of rock music, the Jam never the less went un-detected as far as I was concerned when the band was active. Being between 6 and 7, living in Norway at the time of it's release, you normally wouldn't expect a kid that age to listen to rock at all. But with brothers 14 and 16 years older, I was baptised to the sound of Ten years After, Led Zeppelin and Grand Funk.

But, just a few years later, in my pre-teens I discovered Paul Weller and his wonderful Style Council. From there I backtracket to the Jam, and I have been a fan of all of Pauls incarnations ever since.

I write this to explain why I would buy this special edition. Having heard most of the music on this set surely hundreds of times, I hardly need convincing. But maybe there are people out there who needs some?

If they haven't heard the Jam, then just get this thing, NOW! And if you think "I know the Jam, do I need this?" Well, maybe not, but listen to me, this set is a beautiful gem. The music is the best there is, and the dvd is a really great look back to a time a lot of rock history ignores (after punk, before rap and not Heavy Metal). And if nothing else, this set just looks so damned good, I wish I could wear it on my jacket when I go out.

Leave it on your coffee table when you have dates or friends over. Show some class.
on 6 December 2011
unfortunately i remember this quite well as it was played over over and over again. a well built house but boy did he like the bass!How i got up for school in the morning amazes me bedroom next door aah thank goodness i passed my GCSE's.NO i will NOT be asking to borrow it.At least he's happy!
on 11 March 2016
Bought this CD after watching a programme on TV about the Jam. It took me back to my late-teens; I had forgotten how good they were. This album is excellent and well worth a listen. Lots of good to brilliant tracks and as usual, top song writing from Mr Weller.
on 15 August 2006
This was THE album all my mates were listening to when it was realeased. Definitely an improvement on the vinyl version. After all these years it still stands the test of time and all those trying to copy this sound seem to fail. Best tracks: Down in Tube Staion - how could Paul Weller write "my life swam around me, took a look and drowned me in its own existence" at such a young age? Definitely the John Lennon of his generaion. To be Someone - a very agressive song but with elements of fantasy; Fly - my favourite with some stong stand out lyrics. The first, 'All Mod cons' really sets the scene with its agression and garage band style sound. All in all one of the best albums of my youth, still playing it regularly now - a testament to its staying power - buy this album, they don't make them like this anymore (unfortunately).
on 13 February 2015
Already have this album, but bought again for a friend in Russia who 1st heard this album online and BEGGED me to buy it for him on vinyl. No complaints with the price either; it cost me more to post it over there than to buy it.