5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Majestic!
Having heard Chasing Cars, (the first song to make me stop what i was doing for a long time by the way) I knew that this had to be listened to as an album.

Published on 3 Nov 2006 by A. J. Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Cars
Only Bought it for one track Chasing Cars its an ok CD to listen to now and again when you have nothing else to listen to
Published 10 months ago by Lisa

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Majestic!, 3 Nov 2006
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)

On first listening i didn't get far beyond 'You're all i have' 'Chasing Cars' and 'Set the fire to the third bar'. These three songs alone had made this a worthwhile purchase, but delving further into the album i discovered something more...these songs are not going to fit everyone but then again what songs do?

The fact is that the feeling in the lyrics, and the emotion in the sound make this the most powerful collection i've ever had the fortune of listening to.

'You could be happy' says just that, and how!

There are too many songs of quality to comment individually but feel safe in knowing that this will speak to you, the only decision you have to make now is, are you ready to listen?

don't miss the opportunity!

5.0 out of 5 stars sheer class, 30 Oct 2006
Andrew Macdonald "ninja107" (isle of man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
i have to confess that on first listen, I wasn't blown away. However, I was also fortunate enough to see the band live a few months ago and it was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. it also made me go back and listen to the album again - and when you do, you realise the brilliance of the lyrics, the beautiful melodies, and the way it is all so skillfully linked together. Buy it, and listen to it. Then listen again, and another time after that to hear the true beauty of one of the best albums I have the pleasure of owning

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album......... but, 15 May 2006
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
Snow Patrol release their 4th studio album, and the first since the incredible success of 'Final Straw'.

The Album Begins with new release 'You Are All That I Have' followed by the 'Spitting Games' reminiscent 'Hands Open'. But it's Track 3, 'Chasing Cars' that comes closest to recapturing the success of 'Run'. It starts very quietly, and builds into an emotional climax which in itself is great, but it comes nowhere near eclipsing the awesome 'Run', and let's face it, nothing really could.

'You Could Be Happy' is a very gentle track that sounds a lot like a nursery rhyme, the lyrics ring out prominently, sounding particularly heartfelt, it leaves you wanting to play the song again, its that good. Along with that, 'Set the Fire to the Third Bar' is possibly the albums stand out track, it's a duet with Martha Wainwright, and is an absolutely beautiful song. Worth the price of the album alone.

The strings in another great song, 'Open Your Eyes' give it an almost 'orchestral' feel. My only qualm with it is that it seems to end too abruptly when you are just getting into it.

So, the album is fantastic. If you got into the band after songs like 'Run' and 'How to be Dead' then you wont be disappointed. Eyes Open is 11 tracks of that hugely enjoyable and crowd pleasing standard. But there lies my slight problem, and the reason I couldn't bring myself to give it 5 Stars. Gone are the obscure track names ('chocolate' anyone?) long soaring instrumentals and wild guitar riffs. This album is a massive step up for the band, the commercial success of Final Straw has paved the way for a much bigger budget, and a lot more obvious little studio flourishes. For example, the strings that were reserved for 'Run' on the last album are present in several of the tracks.

Eyes Open is an essential addition to any music fans collection. It will HUGELY please those of you who just own Final Straw, and want more of the songs that made the band big. As well as the longer standing fans, who own 'Songs For Polar Bears' and 'When its All Over...' But in the long run those people will feel just a little, and I do really mean just a little, disappointed. It does seem at times that you're listening to 11 tracks that could almost all be released as singles. This is not a bad thing at all, most bands would strive to achieve what Snow Patrol have here, this album will sell shed loads because its so much more commercially appealing than those before it. But for me, one of the charming features of the old albums was that for every 'Run' there was an obscure track that would never be released as a single.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the year's best albums!, 12 Feb 2007
Chipstick (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
Snow Patrol have topped their gorgeous 'Final Straw' with their new album! They have developed and honed their individual style into a mature and beautiful sound, which has echoes of U2 at their finest, while still being utterly unique.

The lyrics are painfully, achingly beautiful, the melodies a range of delicious mellow numbers and stadium fillers. This, for me, is by far their best album to date, and one of the finest of the year.

Existing fans will not be disappointed and they are sure to add an army of new fans with this outstanding piece of work. There's not a bad track on this. WOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars i'm lovin it, 21 Mar 2007
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
i am so into snow patrol at the moment. the first album of theirs that i bought was final straw a year or two ago after hearing the glorious run on the radio. after playing it to death i decided to give their back catalogue a go and bought songs for polar bears and when its all over we still have to clear up, and i loved them too. i was so excited about a new album coming out that i got it as soon as i could, and let me say i was not disappointed. from some really good rocky tracks like hands open to the truly beautiful set the fire to the third bar, this album has something for everyone and something to suit every mood. i've hardly listened to anything but snow patrol for about a year and i haven't tired of their music yet. although i have to say its not quite as good as final straw, this is still definitely not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Creeps Up On You....., 30 Aug 2006
DAZ (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album I dismissed it as a bit slow and boring - all the songs seemed to blend into one another. I'm glad I persevered though because this album really grows on you. The first single 'You're All I have' that opens the album is a great, pacey rock song. The pace then slows down to include some beautiful songs, the highlights of which are 'Chasing Cars' and 'Set the Fire to the Third Bar' with Martha Wainwright (very powerful). Comparisons to Coldplay are very unfair as this is just so much better in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Background Music That Steals The Foreground, 20 Mar 2007
T Marshall (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
I always dread getting CD's for my birthday as they tend to be middle-of-the-road and bland offerings. When I unwrapped this little beauty though I was impressed by the musical taste and verve of the person who had chosen it for me.

Upon first listen I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of songs I already knew due to the number of singles already released from it. However it is the album tracks such as 'Make This Go On Forever' which stood out for me. The term "bittersweet" was never more appropriate than with the softly sung but brutally cutting lyrics that relentlessly describe an ageing relationship throughout the album. The sheer quality of the music is best described as a band who are truly on-form. The belief in what they are doing comes through your speakers with a swagger.

The only downside for me was the song "Set the fire for the third bar" as it is slightly too melancholy for my tastes, however it is a small price to pay on what is a truly great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars No words, 4 April 2007
Mark (HERTFORD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
I've always liked Snow Patrol, but only liked, my passion was elsewhere but this album is divine. There are no words to expess how good this really is.

Some albums grow on you over time, but not this one. This had me singing along and dancing in the lounge with the sub full up after the first track.

The neighbours know this album as well as I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of 2007 ?, 3 Jan 2008
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
I am middle aged and I generally tend to listen to music from the Seventies and Eighties,but I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed this album from Snow Patrol. Most of the songs on "Eyes Open" feature excellent melodies and musicianship and I was particularly impressed by Gary Lightbody's distinctive vocals and outstanding lyrics. For me , the pick of the songs were "You're All I Have","Hands Open","Open Your Eyes" and the superb "Chasing Cars". Almost every song is packed full of emotion and although the quality of the songs tails off towards the end of the album , it is still a worthy recipient of a five star review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blimey Gary !!, 18 July 2006
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
If you enjoyed the outstanding tracks on Final Straw, eg Spitting Games, Chocolate then you will simply love this album of beautifully crafted songs that enhance the vocal qualities of Mr Lightbody more than I thought possible.

This is an outstandingly produced piece of music and whilst I respect the opinion of so many others with regards to "Third Bar" it has simply yet to thoroughly grab me, however Chasing Cars and Its Beginning to get to me are just simply classics the first time you hear them. I simply cannot praise this album enough -- there were probably half a dozen albums thus far this year that I was more looking forward to hearing and yet this one knock the spots off every other one.

Truly beautiful. !!

Eyes Open
Eyes Open by Snow Patrol (Audio CD - 2006)