5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference!
An impressive product at a very competitive price. The contrast with ordinary energy saving bulbs was marked when they were put side by side. The Biobulb has a crisp white light, whilst the ordinary bulbs gave out a light the colour of custard. I am exploring the use of these in relation to my SAD, but they are potentially beneficial for all. These Biobulbs could be...
Published on 14 Nov. 2012 by Scooby19

2.0 out of 5 stars Great daylight balance, poor longevity
This bulb gives a great daylight balanced light that makes the indoors look much more like the outdoors! At first, this takes a bit of getting used to if you have previously used normal energy-saving bulbs. But after a while it becomes very natural and is great for reading.

Published on 14 July 2011 by squarepeg77

2.0 out of 5 stars Great daylight balance, poor longevity, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Ecozone Biobulb, Energy-Saving Daylight Bulb, Screw Cap E27, 25W Equivalent to 100w, 1750 Lumens, Full Spectrum, Daylight White 6500k, Uses 75% Less Energy. Ideal for suffers of S.A.D (Kitchen & Home)

However, I must comment on the poor lifespan of the bulb. Mine was purchased in October 2010 and stopped working in July 2011. Compared to normal energy saving bulbs that usually run for 5+ years - and cost a small fraction of a Biobulb to buy - this is very disappointing. A colleague at work also had a Biobulb fail within a year. Read the reviews of the bayonet fit Biobulb and several people complain of getting less than a year's use from them too.

I'm now deliberating on whether to buy a replacement. I love the quality of light, but I just expect it to last much, much longer. So much for 10000 hours lifespan!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful life/Good light, 27 Oct. 2011
Bought this bulb at the end of August 2011 and was very impressed at the start with the bright light produced.
However its now 27 October 2011 and the bulb has blown so naturally I am a bit ticked off that I paid eight quid for a bulb that lasts two months.If I can wade my way through Amazons returns policy I'm going to try to get my money back.
Such a pity the light is great but I should have paid more attention to other reviews!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous and DOES flicker a lot, 30 Dec. 2013
I don't usually write reviews but wanted to warn others...

The first bulb I purchased flickered a lot and stopped working within two weeks. I ordered a replacement. It too flickered sometimes (usually when on for a while so I assume it's to do with overheating). This morning I could smell burning and the electricity switch tripped. I took out the bulb when cooled down and could see it had burnt the plastic near the fitting. I have never had problems with the actual light fitting and have used other energy saving bulbs for years without problems. I am not sure what's wrong with this product but I'm too worried to replace it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last long, 22 Nov. 2011
Jacques Basson "Jazz" (UK) - See all my reviews
Had mine in the conservatory and it lasted about a month after which it suddenly started flickering for a bit and just fizzled out. I don't know whether this is because i had it on a dimmer switch(turned on full at all times otherwise it would flicker)

Light quality is good, although very white.

I will try another one and see if it lasts any longer, if not i will try another brand. If i still get failures after that then i know a dimmer switch is evil to these bulbs. Can't do anyting about that i'm afraid as I can't change the dimmer switch for a regular one...

1.0 out of 5 stars less than a month, 11 Feb. 2013
Maybe I was unlucky, but this only lasted about a month. previous bulb from another brand lasted years. maybe it is a bad batch but I am not willing to reorder the same item.

1.0 out of 5 stars These are 'not' full spectrum bulbs!, 30 Jan. 2014
Firstly the description of these bulbs is misleading as they are 'not' full spectrum lights that are suitable for treating SAD. In order to properly treat SAD they need to cover the 'Full Spectrum' of light which includes near ultra violet and infra red.

An example of 'Full Spectrum' lights are hydroponic grow lights, Marine fish tank bulbs, Car Xenon lights, sunbed tubes and SAD light boxes, as they output near ultra violet and infra red light which simulates real sun light.

These bulbs just output a whiter light than standard CFL bulbs which 'may' appear to lift moods slightly (but that is probably just a placebo)

A proper 'Full Spectrum' bulb will light up a room (and make every white surface almost hard to look at) and you definitely wouldn't want to run one all day/night long (imagine the light output of a Xenon car light switched on in your room)

As I've found out there are very few 'real' Full Spectrum bulbs (mostly made by General Electric) but they are 3x the price of these ones and very hard to find.

Lastly the packaging of these bulbs was terrible as one turned up smashed due to Amazon just wrapping the boxed bulbs in a thin cardboard sleeve that has no protection whatsoever. Amazon however were great though, and refunded my straight away so at least I didn't lose anything.

Oh and if you want to buy more 'reliable' bulbs of this type Philips do a 23w 'Daytime' bulb for £5 which output the EXACT same light but with Philips reliability (I know this because I bought two of them before buying these)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor bulb, 7 Feb. 2014
My item did not work on arrival I wonder now why it was suggested to be bundled with a desk lamp.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 23 April 2014
These bulbs have come down in price since I bought 3 of them 6 months ago. The light is fairly good, I needed 2 in my very dark hallway as I have small mammals that need light in the Winter. The first bulb lasted around 4 months before dying, despite the blurb saying that these last 10000 hours! The second and third ones are still working but I expect them to go at any moment having read other reviews on them. I have now, on the recommendation bought the Philips 23 watt daylight bulbs for considerably less money and just hope that they last slightly longer than 6 months. I would never buy these again and if I had the time and energy would argue for a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great light, terrible lifetime, 27 Dec. 2011
Philadelphus (New Quay, Wales) - See all my reviews
I strongly prefer full spectrum bulbs to "cosy" "warm" bulbs. They may appear cold at first but it is far easier to read by them , my energy levels crash less in winter and I soon got used to the bluer, more genuinely natural light. The bulbs most folk are used to now seem hopelessly hard to see by.

But my two biobulbs only lasted a few months despite being in low switching frequency rooms. So i'll sticks to brands with better longevity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very bright but really stark light, 18 Nov. 2011
O. Malik - See all my reviews
Bought 3 of these to upgrade uplighters in my living room from the really basic cheap bulbs Ikea sell which were definitely very yellow and took minutes to brighten up but even then were very dim.

Having just put these in I have to agree with the other reviewers - these appear very very bright in comparison even to a "150w equivalent" energy saver that I use for an outside light. They also get up to full brightness very quickly. However I'm not convinced that this is truly daylight replicating colour temperature - I have a phillips light up alarm clock and the light that comes off that is far more natural and pleasant - these are very stark and do wash the colour out of everything - I have a very red sofa and it looks almost grey! From outside through the curtains it looks like the room is lit up by a giant TV or other artificial source... wouldn't be out of place in a science lab!

They are very easy to read under and I might well swap them into my study, otherwise might just return them as I don't think I can live with them.

Amazon has clearly listened to the packaging feedback, mine were in their boxes, surrounded by bubble wrap, in a box, which itself was in another comically big box, so no worries there.