5.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab on my desk!
I have a few gadgets that I've tried to plug into my regular non-powered USB hub and it causes an 'overload on USB' error message, so I bought this powered one to see if that fixes the problem and it does!

You can use the TARDIS as a non-powered hub as well by just plugging it into your USB port and not using the power supply it comes with.

When you...
Published on 1 Aug. 2006 by syd

3.0 out of 5 stars Things they don't mention...
Published on 9 Sept. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab on my desk!, 1 Aug. 2006
syd (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Tardis USB 4 Port Powered Hub Station (Electronics)

When you plug it into the USB port on your computer, the blue light on the top lights up and when you plug anything into the TARDIS itself, it makes the 'dematerialisation' noise and the light slowly flashes on and off. There is a button on the back to switch the sound off if it's getting on your nerves but mine will stay switched on....I half expect it to disappear when I plug things into it ;)

A fun addition to your desktop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Things they don't mention..., 9 Sept. 2011
Apparently there's a few different versions of the Tardis USB hub. Mine is made my Wesco limited. There are a couple of issues I have with the functionality of mine. It did not ship with a power cord, and it will not support my seagate "plug and play" 500gb external hard drive (which was the whole reason I bought it to begin with.)I have multiple external HDDs and a shortage of USB ports on my laptop. The HDDs that have their own power supplies work just fine so I'm assuming I now have to go out and spend more money on a power supply for the Tardis to get the "plug and play" ones to run, which is annoying after reading that a power cord was supplied with some packages.

The functionality issues aside it's a great little Tardis, the sounds, and light are a nice touch, and they work perfectly fine. It's well built, and makes a great addition to my collection of Doctor Who desktop items that keep me distracted during the day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Description is mis-leading, 1 Jun. 2013
Tim (London, England) - See all my reviews
My assumption was that something described as a "powered" USB hub would include a power lead so that it can supply power to USB devices plugged into it. According to the supplier "powered" means it takes power from the laptop/computer you plug it into. This device will not power USB devices you plug into it unless you provide your own power adaptor with the correct voltage and current settings. WARNING: Do not buy if you are expecting what I assumed to be a "powered" USB hub.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 21 Nov. 2006
Possibly a little more plasticky than I expected when I first opened the box, but not bad and hardly surprising for something made of plastic. Will probably look less stark once it gets dusty! No complaints for its functionality as a USB hub(additional info: cable length 1.4 metres).

The sound effect is realistic and loud enough and the light fades in and out nicely (I had a fear it would simply blink) -- so the overall effect is good. I have a small qualm over the light being on all the time when 'not vanishing' since it's a fairly bright blue LED and can be distracting. Otherwise, this product would be difficult to improve on.

Update: here we are six years on (it was a snip with the Tardis of course), still works in all respects and still looks good. Obviously I'm a 'grown-up', but I have to say that I feel pretty cool to have it on my desk. In fact, I'm just about to nip back to 2006 to suggest to myself that I order more as gifts (with matters of such gravity, it's permissable to embark on the usally prohibited return along one's own timeline); with the recent rate of inflation, I feel I'll get more value for money that way than buying today, and Time Lords are nothing if not thrifty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest Dr Who Gadget EVER!, 11 Feb. 2008
I absolutely love this TARDIS USB port. It's a little smaller than expected (the 12cm height includes the LED light and I couldn't find any other dimensions info before buying it) but it's fab! Fits perfectly on my small desk at home. I didn't bother using the mains adapter that comes with it as it works perfectly without it. I don't find the fact that the blue light stays on while you have the usb drive plugged in annoying at all - suppose it depends where you position it on your desk, but I don't even notice it.
The materialisation sound effect is FANTASTIC - add a bit of wind and you'd expect The Dr to arrive! It's loud and sounds exactly like the "real" TARDIS. No idea why there's the option to turn the sound effect off - who'd want to do that?
Additional dimensions information = 6cm square (7cm square base). Very lightweight.
This is a must for any Dr Who fan! Makes studying a lot more fun - the demo button comes in very handy! :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a rip off really., 3 Oct. 2010
Yes it is a tardis and it does make a great tardis noise and all that but you are lead to believe that it comes with a power adapter - it doesn't! And for £20 odd quid I think you can do a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of a computer gadget than a toy, it looks good on any desk., 26 Nov. 2006
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Rather brilliantly and solidly designed, a powered USB2 four hub station.
The light on top of the Tardis stays on when the computer is powered up (useful if you put your PC or screen into hibernation mode) and the Tardis's unique noise sounds when a device is plugged into it (you can turn this off though if at work!)
Finally, and the clincher as far as any Dr Who fans go, you can press a cunningly disguised button on the Tardis's door to initiate the dematerialise sound, and amaze (or annoy!) those around you.
Definitely one for Dr Who fans, and a sturdy decorative hub for those who aren't, but want a quality bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tardis technology, 10 July 2009
Doctor Who Tardis USB 4 Port Powered Hub Station
Purchased for my 9 year old who found 2 laptop USB points inadequate. Previously had a standard hub where if anything more than a mouse was plugged in nothing worked. Really impressed, the tardis noise is amusing but only makes noise when you plug something in or press the sound button. Printer, webcam and mouse all work perfectly and the blue light on top is not distracting. I would rate it very highy as a PC accessory rather than a toy but more interesting to look at than a standard hub, highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit naff, 19 July 2011
The good stuff:

* It looks as cool as a bow tie and fez on your desk.

* The little blue light (which I'd expected to be quite annoying as I normally hate superfluous, distracting LEDs on computer peripherals) is actually a rather nice, subtle shade of pale blue that's not distracting at all. Plus it fades in and out at an appropriately sedate, tardis-like pace (rather than merely blinking madly) when you plug items in or take them out. The light fading on and off is accompanied by the tardis noise if you've switched that feature on - makes me smile every time. :)

* It's not as big as I'd expected, but is just the right size for an office desk; small enough to keep close by, but big enough to have reasonable detail.

The bad stuff:

* It's quite badly built. I had to nudge the USB ports into alignment with a small screwdriver before I was even able to plug any peripherals in.

* It comes totally over-packaged. I had to remove the base (with that same small screw driver, which wasn't even sonic) to get the retaining wires off of the base (there are plastic-covered metal wires threaded through holes in the base that secure the item to the box that it comes in, and you need to remove the base to get those packaging wires out).

Overall 3 stars, just missing out on 4 because of the poor quality build issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant addition to any geeks desk, 27 Oct. 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:47 Mins

There are a lot of USB hubs out there, but this must be one of the coolest. The 4 port hub in the shape of the Tardis has a little blue light on the top and the distinctive Tardis sound effect whenever you plug something in. Fortunately the sound can be switched off as the novelty value of it being played a lot soon wears thin!

There is also a button on the front should you want to trigger the light/sound (most often used when showing it off to people). Really cool way of adding some additional USB ports to your PC/laptop, although you are paying extra for a novelty item, you can get newer USB 3 hubs for less than this. But they're not as cool.