5.0 out of 5 stars always free
Published on 5 May 2012 by Bernd Kotz

3.0 out of 5 stars La Traviata: Salzburg's 2005 Men-in-Black version
SOURCE:
This is reported to be an assemblage of the several performances of the opera at the Salzburg Festival's Grosser Festspielhaus in August 2005. I rather suspect that there are also some cuts from a dress rehearsal, for there are some points where applause would certainly be expected but only dead silence ensues.

SOUND:
This DVD has the...
Published on 10 Aug. 2010 by L. E. Cantrell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars always free, 5 May 2012
Bernd Kotz (Essen, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
It is the best opera in my opinion. The music is beautiful and the cast is the best you can get. I heard many versions of this opera. I saw a production this year and I can say that it never can get any better. Anna Netrebko is at its best performance of all time. the voice is bright and clear so present at any moment. I never hear a better interpretation of this opera. I think it is the best opera of all time. I like Mozart very much and the magic flute is the best you can hear but this production kicks it out better. Thomas Hampson plays a great part in the opera. Rolando Villazon shows his brilliant voice. In the last time it has suffered a lot. The last aria in the first act is the best aria I ever heard. You can hear it so many times that you are never bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and wonderful, 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
The central pair of this Traviata are beautiful people, wonderful singers and great actors. I have not seen or heard their likes on screen or on the stage before.

The staging is in my opinion a work of art. The scene has been reduced to bare essentials. The mostly empty stage is contained within a curved wall that may represent a prison or a cage. A flower and a clock remind us constantly of the impermanence of life and of the inexorable passage of time. The lighting of alternately cold and warm colours plays on the theme of life and death. The ominous chorus harks back to classical Greek drama and the "ballet" of Act III is both terrific and terrifying.

I feel this production may be conciously complementary to Zeffirellis lush and magnificient film of 1983. Both share the language of flowers and of alternately cold and warm colours. And certain themes like that of the cage and of fleeting time are common to both..

5.0 out of 5 stars Anna`s traviata, 12 April 2010
D. Smith (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
really enjoyed the staging and the performances . the standard of the singing was extremely high and would recommend this DVD to any good opera fan

5.0 out of 5 stars La Traviata- Anna Netrebko, 24 Sept. 2012
gordon cornell (8 bury lane. datchworth. SG36ST) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This is quite simply the very best Traviata I have ever seen.The blank set and the sybolism, insted of being irritating, contributed to the emotional impact.Netrebko, then at her most beautiful was superb; wonderfully acted and sung. Villazon as good as usual but overshadowed.To not see this is to miss a great opera experiance, have your handkerchiefs ready.
Usual good service from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 25 July 2013
S. Emmett (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
As a fan of the old traditional setting I came to this warily. The minimalist scenery caught my eye, and I am a great fan of Villazon and Netrebko. Singing is of course superb - and the set a dream. If you love Traviata you will adore this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A.A.A class !!!, 1 Jan. 2011
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I WAS a traditionalist until This ( Netrebko, Villason ) Traviata.The singers NOT FORGETTING Thomas Hampson as Germont senior, cannot be bettered.The Chemistry really does exist and for me the simple stage setting is not simple at all, but very powerful and moving if you let it into your head !I think the clock and the sinister figure of Time are strokes of genius.Love it,Love it,Love it !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the glamour of Covent Garden or the Met but ...., 12 Nov. 2008
Mr. Anthony Line (UK) - See all my reviews
Verdi - La Traviata (Netrebko, Villazon, Rizzi) [2006]

No, the set does not have the glamour of the Met or Covent garden, but the acting and singing easily make up for that .... if you doubt my view, see the reviews for what is the same DVD except that it a 2 disc version (the 2nd disc is behind the scenes etc. for those who want it, otherwise, the same). Netrebko and Villason sing beautifully, which is confirmed by the standing ovation at the end of the Opera. Reviewers at the concert spoke of her (Netrebko's) 'bell-like purity of tone' and 'golden gleam of her voice'.

Worth buying then!? I would say definitely 'yes' but, not if you need to have a sumptious setting on the stage!?

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Traviata" for our times, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This is the best "Traviata" I have seen. The whole performance is absolutely full of life and energy and is directed with great imagination and flair. Anna Netrebko puts her entire heart and soul into Violetta, singing and acting with an intensity and passion rarely encountered in opera. Her final moments are heartbreaking. Roland Villazon, another fine singer-actor, is an ideal Alfredo for her: the sexual chemistry between them really fizzes (and is still there at the end in the wings, when the two are waiting to take their bows) and he captures to perfection Verdi's blend of ardent young lover and petulant, immature young man. Thomas Hampson completes the picture with a truly chilling portrayal of Germont senior, Verdi's representative figure of bourgeois moral hypocrisy. He absolutely drips with self-righteousness and insincerity and, even at the end, conveys the feeling that his self-reproach is formulaic rather than genuine.

Willy Decker's non-naturalistic, feminist production wrenches the opera away from its usual unchallenging identity as 19th century "period piece" and turns it into something much more uncomfortable, disturbing even, and much more relevant to our own times. Of course, this does not go down well with dessicated canary fanciers, who do not understand theatre and regard an opera performance as the equivalent of an Associated Board grade exam. Ignore these people and side with the Salzburg audience, who give the show a prolonged and well-deserved standing ovation.

Incidentally, although Amazon advertises this DVD as NTSC Region 1, the copy I obtained (from Moviemars) is Region 0 and is fully PAL compatible. Maybe Amazon should take another look?

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Outstanding opera production with great singing. I am addicted to it.

I have nothing more to say so your word requirement merely irritates me about Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous I just can't stop playing this, 23 Jan. 2014
S. J. Cox - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Traviata: Salzburg Festival (Rizzi) [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
If you only ever have one version of this, perhaps the most famous of operas, I urge you to buy this one; it is just fantastic both aurally and visually. Normally modern productions do not appeal but this bleak but strangely surrealistic setting lends a whole new dimension to the story which becomes believable. The acting of the two main leads is superb and even after repeated viewings it brings tears to my eyes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›