5.0 out of 5 stars The bloodiest yet!
Published on 18 Nov 2006 by Loxxibana

3.0 out of 5 stars lost all the excitement
Published 15 months ago by Mr. Ma Rodrigues Figueiredo

5.0 out of 5 stars The bloodiest yet!, 18 Nov 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
Wow, I knew this game was an 18+ before I got it - as all the other classic MKs have been - but this one takes the blood & guts to new levels! I thought 'Predator' was the goriest game I'd ever played on a PS2...but hey, MK fans wouldn't have it any other way. I've been off the series since the classic MK Trilogy for the old PS (which I still rate as one of my top games ever) but this really brought me back into the franchise with a bump!

As previously noted, there are a lot of elements from Soul Calibur III and while overall the game isn't quite as polished or beautiful to look at as that game, the Kreate a Character mode is better, allowing you to fine tune aspects of the characters physical appearance. There are over 250 unlockable bonus treats in the 'Krypt', including the now-ubiquitous trailers, artwork, photos of game developers, etc. Being able to play one of 60 odd characters, or one of your own, is just a massive kick in itself - the main reason why I loved Trilogy so much. Most of the arenas can be demolished or interacted with in all sorts of cool ways, not just in executing stage fatalities either; characters can be knocked down stairs, through air vents etc., to open up a whole new area and continue the carnage.

The old basic Kombat/Versus format is of course still present, with the option of online play which is where I guess the Kreate mode really comes in to its own. I don't have ADSL so can't judge this feature, but the potential is awesome for those who have such technology.

Visually, it's a real treat on the eye. Like I said, not as exquisitely gorgeous to look at as 'Soulcalibur', but then MK was never about beauty - but about blood & guts! And there's plenty. Not just in the old 'throw the ketchup up the wall' style either. Characters can now be smashed into pulp, ripped in half (vertically and horizontally), literally torn limb from limb. I haven't yet played 'Jaws Unleashed' yet, but this could well be the goriest game ever produced for the PS2. The 'Kreate a fatality' idea seems a bit hard to grasp at first - meaning each time you 'Fatalize' an oppononent, you create only PART of a sequence which will eventually become a fatality. Or maybe I'm not doing it right - in any case it's not immediately obvious.

As a lover of retro chic I'll always have a soft spot for the digitized characters and their original costumes and personalities, but most gamers will find the updates to classic heroes and villains pretty cool as well. The original did come out in the early 90s after all, and gone are some of the more dodgy haircuts and crimes against dress sense...

Liu Kang seems to have turned into Kratos from 'God of War', and there are a few evident borrowings from that godly game in the Konquest mode; a run-around-collecting-goodies-while-battling-endless-baddies story-based mode. What starts off looking quite simplistic quickly develops into quite an engrossing adventure, and it certainly beats Soulcalibur's 'Chronicle' mode for long-term playability.

Also worth a serious mention is the 'Motor Kombat' feature, where caricature fighters race cartoon cars around lethal racecourses. The old MK writers' sense of fun has not left them - again, what seems daft at first and a bit of a dodgy bolt-on to the main game soon becomes maddeningly competitive and engrossing as you desperately try to come first in a race that makes 'Death Race 2000' look like 'Cannonball Run' ! I found myself playing through this repeatedly once I'd started to get the hang of it - and I hate car racing games! Somehow, there's something satisfying about watching that guy in front of you suddenly get pulped into jelly by a descending steam hammer, allowing you to snatch the lead....

All in all, it's pretty damn awesome. MK for the new century, and all that. But seriously, don't let the young kids near this one. That rating's there for a very good reason!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet!, 30 Oct 2006
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
When I heard that Midway were making an MK game for the last time I thought they really have to deliver, as there are millions of fans worldwide who would have been greatly disappointed if it were anything less than perfect. It's not perfect, but it's not far off. And releasing it on the best platform, Sony PS2, was a great move! The most ridiculous thing I heard was having 60+ characters on one game! I thought it must be a rumour, but it's true; every character in the MK universe is present on this game. No unlocking, no fuss. This has a major advantage over other fighting games, as no other game would offer you such a wide choice of characters. The graphics are great. Every single fighter is designed with great detail, and you can even create your own fatalities! The arenas are also very well thought out; some complete with killer features! The first time I played I was crushed under a rolling wooden barrel, and yes, I lost that round. If there is one thing I am not too sure about, it is the konquest mode. Yes, the one where you have to complete a training course and gain 'koins' to unlock items. You do not have a choice of character as you did in the previous editions, you have to be the male fighter, Daegon. And the story line tends to get boring after a while. But the Motor Kombat feature is brilliant! You get to choose a character and a car, out of a possible eight choices (including Sub-Zero, Kitana, Raiden, Mileena, and Johnny Cage), and complete 5 laps on a track of your choice. Think Need for Speed with added gore - great fun. I definitely think that this is the best Mortal Kombat game yet. With a choice of 60+ characters to choose from in versus and arcade modes, you just couldn't be bored with this. And don't let the slightly boring Konquest mode put you off, it's still a winner. Midway have delivered the goods for the last time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the best MK since Trilogy, 26 Oct 2006
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
I've recently purchased the NTSC format as I wanted the Premium Edition. Though I would strongly recommend the Premium Edition for the sole purpose of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and the cool cover, it is in every aspect the same as the original Armageddon. The seventh title in the series (not counting Shoalin Monks) is argubally the best ever. Every concievable character is available, apart from a few no-names from the past series.

What I genuinely like about Armageddon is the strong presentation. Almost every past feature is revamped, from graphics to gameplay. Having played a dreary Konquest Mode in Deception, I didn't much care for the feature in Armageddon seeing as it didn't hold a strong impression on me. However, a very notable change has been made. Kreate-A-Fighter compliments Konquest Mode in every aspect as I can create a character of any caliber and take them on a journey that may end in triumph or despair. I really like how the MK series picks up great qualities from games, such as:

The Kreate-A-Fighter adapted from Soul Calibur III

Konquest Mode pays homage to the classic ICO

Areial combat mirrors the DBZ series

Gameplay oozes traits of the Tekken series

These small aspects have elevated the MK series to greater heights. Though Deception was considered the best thus far, Armageddon topples it with nearly every feature it displays. The fact that 62 fighters are in it whets the appitite of every MK fan. I classify Konquest Mode as time well spent. Not only does it give me that eerly felling of playing ICO again, but it somewhat reminds me of games such as X-Men Legends, God of War and TV Shows such as Hercules and Xena.

62 characters, Konquest Mode, Kreate-a-Fighter, Kreate-A-Fatality, Areial Kombat, Arcade Mode, Motor Kombat (Mario Kart style mini-game) and interactive backgrounds are just the few reasons you should buy this game. Though it can never be compared to MK: 3, it is the ideal and best MK game out now.

If you have NTSC engined PS2, purchase the Premium Edition just for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, it's worth it.

9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game arrived before approx. date in perfect condition!, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
As the title says, the game arrived earlier than estimated, the games were brand new with the official Playstaion 2 plastic wrap still on it, and the game works perfectly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing send-off to ps2 series, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
An amazing game that wraps up the story perfectly,From the incredible opening sequence to the awesome konquest mode and 60 kharacters to choose from,this will keep you busy for a while.However of course it's not perfect.Each character now only has two fighting styles (a technique and a weapon) and the endings for the kharacters are very weak,only a animation of the character jumping around like an egit with a voiceover telling you what happened!
Overall though an amazing game that is well worth the cheap price!

3.0 out of 5 stars lost all the excitement, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
i consider mortal kombat one of my top 5 games ever, but only until the 3rd.. after that i lost all excitement and had enough of it. maybe i grew older and this was not for me anymore, but the addiction of so many characters, complicated storyline and several fight styles for each fighter made me sooo tired... so much stuff to learn! the first mortal kombat had a massive impact, the second and third followed through and i went crazy. but that was enough, i reckon. still, it's a playable game if you fancy fighting games. if only i could find the first mortal kombat for ps2...

5.0 out of 5 stars good old game, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
Bought this for my son,he seems to like the older games more than new ones. Good price,arrived quickly in very good condition. Have bought from Happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
This is a great game. I would recommend to all Mortal Kombat fans and anyone who enjoys the fighting genre. Well worth the money and a great purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars my veiw, 6 Aug 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) (Video Game)
Not what I thought it would be this game is a platformer, playing the game has been delayed due to another game being started first but, great character selection, great fun making your own fighter a generally fun game. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars MOOOORTAL KOMBAAAT !!!!!, 30 Nov 2010
Carol Astley - See all my reviews
MOOOORTTTTAAAAAAAAAL KOMBBBBAAAAAAAAAAT !!!
One of the best games in the franchise and it includes nearly every character and fighter from the series. Very good game and definitely better than MKvDC.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2)
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (PS2) by Midway Games Ltd (PlayStation2)
9.99