5.0 out of 5 stars Much, much better than Scrabble 2003
Published on 9 Jan 2007 by P Jacomb

3.0 out of 5 stars Its almost, but not quite, brilliant
I've certainly learned a lot from playing this version of scrabble - I'm beginning to see how to play better every time I play.

The only reason the game gets 3 stars overall from me is due to following reasons:

*) The game graphics do not work on a wide-screen resolution correctly - parts of the top or bottom go missing

*) The game...
Published on 17 Jan 2007 by P. Holmes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Much, much better than Scrabble 2003, 9 Jan 2007
P Jacomb "Paul RHJ" (Chippenham, Wilts, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I originally owned Scrabble for the Psion 3a about 10 years ago, which, given the limited monochrome display, was a great game. I moved on to the Win 95 version for PC, which was marvellous, no fancy 3D display but amazingly fast. You could even set it to play itself on level 9 (full Scrabble words dictionary at it's disposal) and the game was over in about 2 seconds, both "players" usually scoring 500+!!

With the demise of my Windows 95 PC, I naturally assumed the progression to the 2003 edition a few years ago would result in a still more improved game - NOT SO!! The 2003 game was slow, lumbering, difficult to set up, and I never finished a game on it. In fact I threw it away.

I've recently seen Scrabble 2005 for less than 10, and, ever optimistic, I guessed that a company like Mattel MUST have listened to the criticisms they undoubtedly received about Scrabble 2003.

And sure enough, they appear to have done so. GONE are the fancy graphics, slowly "floating" you tiles on to the board, and back are the fast, manual and intuitive "point and type" methods for board entry. The board is smaller than I remember it, and stuck in a 3D mode, but it's quite acceptable. However, the training extras, example games, and different modes of play are all there, and all appear to work perfectly adequately.

I can't grumble about any feature of the game - except maybe that it doesn't appear to let you just manually sort the tiles on your own rack, as you would if playing the game manually. I did find this a little irritating, if there is a way around it I haven't found it yet. It's something you get used to when playing, but I'm sure having a manual arranging facility would allow me at least an extra 10-20 points per game by getting better words out.

This is not an evolution of 2003 Scrabble at all - it looks and feels like a totally new game. I'm convinced Mattel must have commissioned Ubisoft to get a totally new version done - and they've done a great job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its almost, but not quite, brilliant, 17 Jan 2007
P. Holmes "Keba" (Austin Texas) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)

*) The game requires the CD-ROM in order to be played - annoying if you have a laptop and don't really want to have the CD-ROM with you all the time in addition to everything else you carry

*) You can't rearrange the tiles you are given (or at least I can't see how to do it!)

Other than that the game is great - the computer players are a tad too clever for me (I've yet to even get half the score of the computer players), but I always like playing against people better than myself - I find I learn how to play better myself as a result!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but still fun, 21 Jun 2007
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I agree with some of the other reviewers here that there is room for improvement.

One problem with the game is that you cannot update the dictionary to include new words. One website I visited gave 'fe', 'ja', 'ki', and 'za', as possible two-letter words, but this program won't have it. However, I noticed it it quite happy to use 'ph' which the website did not have. I realise the word list will change in both directions, but it is frustrating to know words are allowable - in online play for example - but not when using this program. The only solution is to wait for the 2007 edition. The pre order listing here on Amazon states that the dictionary can be updated in the new version.

I would also say that the navigation through the menus is not very intuitive and I often end up playing the better cpu opponents because it forgets my preference to play against the idiots!

A couple of reviewers have said that they would like to be able to rearrange their tiles on the rack. You cannot do it there but there is an area at the bottom of the actual board which is intended for that purpose, though it took me a while to realise it.

Personally, I'd take a punt on the 2007 edition, which will be available in October 2007, if your looking to buy a scrabble game or at least wait until that one is reviewed here on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scrabble, with a few nobs on, 16 Nov 2006
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I found this game to hit the mark spot on. It plays Scrabble. You get a choice of computer opponents (some of whom are very challenging) to play against. You can also play duplicate Scrabble. There are even a few extra word games and options for online play thrown in, too. It's all very elegantly put together. For under a tenner you can't really go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tarty Scrabble, 1 Dec 2006
G. Lloyd "gruff76" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
Okay, okay, it's Scrabble and there is precious little that you can do to tart it up. However, tart it up this lovely little game has. There are three boards to play on - the Standard, White and Deluxe. You can choose a background and atmospheric noises based on one of the four Seasons. When actuall playing a game of Scrabble there is the option to have your game timed, you can choose to switch on the in-game dictionary not only to check the spelling of words but also to check how many hooks that particular word has and there is an scrabble mentor who will tell you what the highest scoring word using your tiles is and where to place it. All of these options can be switched off if, unlike me, you are not a shameless cheat and do not mind losing to the computer. Alongside the Scrabble there are various other word games that may appeal, I have found them to be a boon to my Scrabble playing ability. All of these little touches certainly add to the appeal of this game.

At my level I am unable to give feedback on the, if any, strategy the program uses. The computer may have been playing defensively at Master level but it looked aggressive enough to me as it wiped me clean off the board.

If you like Scrabble and are don't have enough humans willing to sacrifice themselves upon that altar of your awesome vocabulary then I would buy this game and try to pummel your computer. I will admit that it is not as satisfying to laugh and poke fun at your computer when it loses.

Incidentally, I am unsure what kind of board the reviewer who only gave this one star was expecting but the usual 4 sided, 225 squared grid kind as represented in this game, does me fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 April 2008
R. B. Jones (England, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
It's kind of fun, but it's annoying at the same time:

1) Interface feels really sluggish. You click on a button and it pauses for half a second before making a sound and doing what it's supposed to do.

2) You can't set a default difficulty level, but have to scroll through a list of "personalities" every game. But they don't do anything interesting with the personalities idea - it just serves to make selecting a difficulty level harder.

3) It chops off the bottom of the screen if running in widescreen, as most laptops and many desktops run in these days.

4) It crashes very often - maybe 1 game in 8 (running XP), in the middle of a game

I could live with all of these except the crashing. Just feels like the development was rushed.

Unlike what some other reviews said, it is possible to shuffle your tiles, and you can spell words out on the area on the side of the board. It is a bit annoying though not being able do this directly on the rack.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complaint, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
Think it corrupted my laptop. Still not played it. When i loaded it, the image was too big for the screen, so i could not see my letters.

Shall i send it back, or have you any advice.

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst game I've ever bought, 3 April 2007
D. Robinson - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
I've played Scrabble for many years, live and against computers, and I've also played many other strategy games on computer, and this is the first time I've come across a program so heavily biased towards the computer opponents. At the higher levels, (rating 2000 and above) it will go to extraordinary lengths to prevent you winning.

When the machine plays a fair game I can beat its highest rated AI opponent, but when it cheats, for want of a better word, I have no chance. It consistently delivers a rack of nothing but vowels or nothing but consonants, to lower your scoring chances, or it will deliver a rack of single point tiles while the opponent not only picks up the high scorers but also has the opportunity play them out. It fishes for words and invariably gets them, it successfully blocks when it wants despite the fact that it is not supposed to know what you have in your rack. Pick up the Q and you will not get a U to go with it, get rid of the Q and you will pick up a U on the very next turn, and yet with the machine picks up the Q it will not only get a U to go with it, but will have the other, necessary letters to form a high scoring word.

All these things can happen in a game of Scrabble, but with this software they happen in EVERY game. Withdraw and it will carry on pulling the same tricks on the next game until you let it win. I don't like wasting my time to feed the programmer's ego.

This was bought for me as a Christmas present and I'm only grateful that I did not pay for it.

It's one saving grace, and the reason it scored 2 stars instead of 1 is that in the Playroom there are various other games conundrum for exmaple, which are fun to play and enhace your vocabulary.

As an addenda to this review, I've just played the computer again and in order to win it played 3 "F"s even though there are only two available.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute waste of money - Rubbish!, 4 Jan 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
The makers/programmers of this 2005 version really need to take a reality check. We don't need fancy boards which don't even lie in an even plane. We don't need 'clever' computers which will not let you win, and cheat by using more letters than available in a 'standard' board game. It won't let you play your mates on a one-to-one basis. It won't allow you to shuffle your tile rack - I could bore you with my wingeing for hours.
Before bringing out yet more rubbish, I suggest the makers take a good look at the original Spears game that could be played on Windows 95 & 98. It may be old fashioned, but it worked, and provided years of fun. I do not want 'interactive' whatever that means, and I do not want music.
Just do everyone a favour, and reproduce the original (Windows 95/98) game in a format suitable for XP and Vista.
Until that day, Ubisoft will not have another penny of my money, and I will spread the word!

1.0 out of 5 stars Memories., 2 Sep 2008
R. Mussett - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) (Video Game)
This game reminds me of when I used to play it with my eight year old son who invented words in order to use up his letters. Your virtual opponent, even if a novice, always has enough letters to make sizeable words, half of which do not appear in any dictionary. It is even happy to place words parallell to others thus creating two or three random two letter words. My exasperation threshold was reached after two games!
Don't waste your money!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD)
Scrabble 2005 Edition (PC CD) by Focus Multimedia Ltd (Windows XP)
Used & New from: 3.87