5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible film set down the toilet !!
Published on 9 Jun. 2007 by S. Turnbull

3.0 out of 5 stars OK.
FLUSHED AWAY is one of those films that is bitter sweet. The animation, humour and voice-overs were all great along with the storyline. But the cheesy lines were no help whatsoever! Some of the slapstick was fun but the characters were not very well thought up! I dont know...3.5
Published on 27 April 2011 by G. Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible film set down the toilet !!, 9 Jun. 2007
S. Turnbull (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
I know that this film did not do too well at the box office which absolutely flummoxed me.I first saw it at the cinema with my 11 year old son-loved it so much that we then took along Grandma-then dad and then rushed out to buy the dvd upon release.The humour is without a doubt first class,some goes over the children's heads and are specifically aimed at the adults but without exception we all roar with laughter at every viewing.As with other reviewers I must point out the brilliance of Ian McKellen as Toad,Bill Nighy as the lovable but supremely daft henchman Whitey,Miriam Margolyes as Rita's crazy grandmother and Jean Reno as Le Frog.

There are lots of humorous references to other movies which will keep you on your toes as they come and go so quickly! Nemo is spoofed when Roddy sees a fish swimming around in a toilet bowl and is asked 'Have you seen my dad'(complete with liverpudlian accent!),Le Frog bears an uncanny resemblence to Inspector Clouseau with one of his henchfrogs being a mime artist called Marcel,an obvious reference to Marcel Marceau,there is a spaghetti kiss between two slugs (lady and the tamp)Toad mimics Larry Grayson in a 'Shut that door' imitation~I could go on as there are tons more but I shall leave you to discover then for yourself....

Please buy this dvd~laugh yourself silly and then watch it again to discover all the bits that you missed first time round.I cannot recommend this film highly enough so go on, get flushed away,you know you want to !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever animation - great fun, 26 April 2007
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
The story is about a pampered rat named Rodney who lives in posh Kensington in London but then suddenly finds himself flushed away to the sewers and an underground world of ninja frogs, hench-rats and hilarious singing slugs. The animation is marvellous, and the attention to detail sublime, check out all the things the rats use to create their own version of London, very clever. Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Sir Ian McKellan, Andy Serkhis, Shane Ritchie et al provide the voices and are all brilliant. The story although good is I feel a little slow in places, hence the four stars and not five, but having said that, this movie will appeal to children and the child in us all. I definitely recommend this movie though, its great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars World's second most perfect film, 6 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
I don't wish to repeat all the astute observations given by the other reviewers. This is indeed an hilarious film, appropriate for all ages, expertly voiced by one of the finest lineups of actors I've seen in an animated adventure.

Three reasons to see this film:
(1) singing slugs;
(2) frog mime;
(3) the rest of the film.

I consider this to be the world's second most perfect film. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is still number one. But then, Were-Rabbit has Wallace and Gromit, and was hand-animated. Let's consider this a *close* second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but loved it, 19 July 2007
Dodster (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
Initially I was put of this movie by the mixed reviews and my kids who had seen it and not particularly liked the movie.
How wrong can some people be? This is a cracker, with a lot of adult humour wrapped up in a kids movie.
The story line has flaws, but it is a cartoon. The lead voices are great and give the characters great life.
I don't think the story would have translated onto a movie set using actors, but as cartoon characters it all hangs together and provides great entertainment. My kids loved it second time around!
Don't be put off by the bad reviews. Treat it like a cartoon and enjoy your childhood all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not up to Aardman's best standards, 4 Jun. 2007
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
Admittedly, those standards are 'way above anyone else's... I chuckled a few times in this, whereas "Chicken Run" had me in tears. It has the usual Aardman trademark of so many verbal and sight gags and references to other films flung at you that you need several viewings to get them all. Ian McKellen's megalomaniac frog was wonderful, as was Jean Reno's "Le Frog", but the singing slugs were the best. Still worth a view (and the kids will love it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Flushed Away..........Blown Away!, 28 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
Like many people with young children, we are constantly "forced" to watch the increasing number of animated films being released. This really isn't a problem when there are many such wonderful films with characters you love and care about.Then the bubble was burst with the "in our opinion" totally awful Madagascar rip off,The Wild ( wrong wrong wrong). So We delayed and delayed and reluctantly gave in to our sons demands to see Flushed away...... Oh my Goodness!! Laugh we didnt stop! It was wonderful and restored all my faith in this Genre. Youll love the characters ( Whitey and the slugs are mine!!)The quality, the story with lots of action, Everything. Gandalf as a Slimey Toad...Hilarious. Jean Reno as a froggy assassin. Its just brilliant...and when you watch it again and again you see more and more sneaky little jokes. Watch it,laugh at it, Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flushed Away just flushes away the competition and remains a floater.., 11 July 2007
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this on recommendation The story is simple enough, yet adequately satisfying by the time the end credits roll. As the trailer suggested, Aristocratic rat pet Roddy from Kensington (Hugh Jackman) thought he just had the whole classy apartment to himself, when an unexpected guest Slobby Sid voiced by (Shane Richie) from the sewers gatecrashes into his abode via his kitchen sink, and poor little roddie finds himself being flushed away via the jacuzzi/Bog lol All this in less than 10 minutes. So begins a mad journey in an unknown sewer world which replicated the modern London City above it with junk, where he has to figure out friend from foe, and find his way back to where he belongs.

The themes of family and friends do not come on too strongly, instead the story preferred to let the character interactions bring forth the messages. Supporting or interfering in his quest are characters like Rita voiced by the ever so sexy and gorgeous (Kate Winslet), The Toad voiced by(Ian McKellen), and French Le Frog voiced by (Jean Reno) and rat minions Whitey (Bill Nighy) and Spike (Andy Serkis). It's quite commendable that in its less than 90 minutes runtime, it allowed for quite a bit of set action pieces to develop, along with almost laugh a minute lines of dialogue, a good mix of songs (Hugh sings!) and ooh, a diabolical plot.

But what perhaps is the show stealer, are the sewer slugs. Ever popping up and performing at the right time, I'm sure they are crowd favourites despite their less than pleasant looking exterior.
If too many animated flicks left this year has left you jaded with the genre, Flushed Away to me is a breath of fresh air and to put it simply it flushes away the competition and sinks the rest and remains a floater..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant...Don't be put off by some of the other reviewers, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
I don't understand why this film has got such a bad press. Sure, it suffers slightly from a mild Americanisation thanks to Dreamworks, and I suppose that everyone misses some of that clay animation charm, but the script is witty, fast paced with some of the best sight gags that we have come to expect from Aardman. And despite the Dreamworks influence remains staunchly British in feel and humour, which might explain why it bombed in the US. To my mind it is less Americanised than say Chicken Run which may sound odd as that film is set on a chicken farm in the North of England, but that film was a definite attempt to break the American market and consequently lost some of it's essential Britishness in its attempt (Mel Gibson as the American Hero anyone!). Flushed Away is a little gem of a movie that remains determinedly British in the face of the American purse strings, and that I believe is why the Aardman/Dreamworks partnership dissolved. Aardman would not be bullied into changing its winning formula, changing very British references and humour, just to make the moneymen happy (there are even some American rat tourists in the film, touring the streets of sewer London, that become the butt of one particular sight gag. Possibly an dig by Aardman?) My 4 year old adores this film and so do I. It's Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 25 May 2007
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
This is an excellent family film, which the kids will enjoy but will also have the adults laughing out loud. It is not of the same calibre of animated classics such as Lilo & Stitch or Monsters Inc., but is very enjoyable nonetheless. The plot is a little predictable, but this is to be expected, and it is still an enjoyable romp. The Toad is a brilliant super-baddie, and watch out for the scene-stealing slugs!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Trust me, you will laugh!, 5 Aug. 2008
E. Payne "spinagain2" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
After watching the oh-so-brilliant Rataouille last week and sitting there with my jaw hanging open at the brilliance of its execution and style, I was in the mood for another reliable source of animated genius: Aardman. I have always been suitably impressed with all their work and actually nearly busted a gut laughing when watching Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were Rabbit not so long ago so I thought I'd give it a try. To be honest, I was beginning to lose faith in the CGI animated movie genre after the recent influx of these films has brought about some really pointless crap (Hoodwinked anyone?) and often they can be far too hit and miss to part with your money for. With Flushed Away I made an exception and thank god I did. It starts off a little sober and neglects to set the scene somewhat so, initially, you find it hard to root for a character you really know nothing about. Then, however, the action comes tumbling out and the film begins spewing gags at break neck speed. We're not talking particularly intellectual gags here but actually some of the most physically painfully hilarious visual gags I have ever seen in a movie of this genre. I was literally weeping through a good 50% of Flushed Away, it was absolutely spot on. The amphibians in particular are inspired (especially the mime-frog with the mobile phone) As for the story, its a little hard to swallow as there are big gaping holes and that is why I gave this film four stars; we never really find out what got the sewer rat into the house in the first place, how come football was so important when it hadn't been mentioned before etc. The action is very fast too and there's alot to look at in a short amount of time but I'm looking forward to seeing more and more with each viewing. If you want to laugh, and I mean laugh, then definatley buy this visual masterpiece of animated comedy. If a more substantial tale (get it) about rats, with real heart and soul then Rataouilles your movie. If, however, you're not picky then buy both. They're both excellent and worthwhile additions to any animation collection.

Flushed Away  [DVD]
Flushed Away [DVD] by Sam Fell (DVD - 2007)