5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb scanner for film and photographs
Published on 27 April 2006 by Charlie-CJ

I was looking forward to this, as it is considered to be the best value around. Yes I did read the reviews on here and some of those mentioned the Epson help desk, I thought hopefully I won't need them and placed the order.
I must say from the outset that Amazon were faultless, delivery correct, on time etc etc.
The problems started when the scanner would only...
Published 17 months ago by michael mc mahon

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb scanner for film and photographs, 27 April 2006
Charlie-CJ (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
This is a superb 6,400 dpi scanner for 35mm film, 120 negatives, 1/4 plate negatives, and can scan any film size to A4. The resolution of the scanner is as good as a dedicated Nikon 4,000 dpi scanner and noticeably sharper than the admittedly cheaper Epson 4990 Photo and Canon 9950F flatbed film scanners (at 100% mag). With it's 'hight adjusters' for the slide holders it's a bit fiddly to use, but the results are simply first rate. See it fully reviewed at [...] The scanner comes with a very good twain interface and Silverfast SE, plus Photoshop Elements 3 (not 4). It deserves Photoshop CS2 though, if you afford it.

The V700 can scan 12 slides or 24 negatives in one go, scan time is in minutes per frame. There are also 120 and 4x5" negative holders, plus an A4 film area guide for full platter negative scans (plus a clip on white matt for A4 reflective photograph & document scans). Digital ICE (Kodak) infra-red scan hardware is included that eliminates dust and scratches from old film (although it can soften the image quality at high settings and add the odd artefact). I don't get much improvement in scan quality going above 3,200 dpi or to 48-bit colour as the scanner is clearly exceeding the grain size and quality of my old SLR slide film (mainly 100 ASA Agfachrome CS and older Kodachrome). Scanning of details in shadows is very good, but the image benefits from Photoshop CS's shadow/highlight utility to lighten these regions (otherwise shadows can be too dark). Photoshop elements 3 [supplied] has a similar tool, but I use Photoshop CS.

Perhaps the only reason not to buy this superb scanner is that the 'improved optics' of it's big sister, the V750 Pro, may tempt you even more when it's soon released - that will cost another £150 over this V700 though. Otherwise, an excellent scanner that should be at the top of any shortlist. In fact I can't really tell any difference in resolution between scans on this scanner and those from an [8,000dpi] £10,000 Imacon Flextight 484 - although the V700 images need far more twain and post-scan Photoshop tweaking to match the Flextight ones and naturally this consumer V700 does scan at far slower speeds. This scanner obviously does great reflective scans as well, but naturally has few advantages over far cheaper models if you don't want to scan film or photographs.

4.0 out of 5 stars V700 Scanner, 7 Oct. 2009
C. Downes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
I bought this scanner to digitise about 7,000 slides that my family has taken dating back to 1957. I had thought of buying the Braun magazine scanner, but then it's twice the price, and what do you do with it after you've finished scanning slides?

The Epson worked straight out of the box, and is giving excellent results. Most of my slides are Kodachrome, so I can't use the Digital ICE with them, but on Fuji and Agfa stock, it seems to work very well, especially on the 'Speed' setting.

As has been said in other reviews, the slide holder is a bit flimsy, but I've done about 3,000 slides so far, and it's holding up well.

The only additions I've bought with the scanner is a FireWire cable, (the data transfer is a bit faster than USB2.0), a spare slide holder (£10 from Epson)and upgraded the bundled SilverFast software to SE Plus. The upgrade has given me Multi-Pass scanning, which does give better results, although does take slightly longer.
The Epson scan software is quicker if used in fully automatic mode, but the results are nowhere near as good as I can get using SilverFast.

In conclusion, it's a great scanner, works well and gives very good results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scanned my medium format wedding negatives.., 21 Sept. 2006
Mr. R. D. Turner (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
I wanted copies of my medium format wedding photo negatives but the cost of getting prints duplicated or scanned by professional photo labs was just too high.

So I looked around for a decent film scanner instead. The Nikon 9000 is very nice, but at £2500 it ought to be. I already had an Epson 2480 flatbed scanner and had used it to scan 35mm slides before with some basic success so I was happy to buy an Epson again. I looked at the Canon 9950 but by all reports the software is awful.

The Epson software is actually really good. It even knows that I have two models of scanner installed and will switch between them. I have to say that in use, scanning the negatives was really easy. As reccommended by Photo-i.co.uk I adjusted the film holder spacers to be 3.5mm (turn them round) and loaded up the scanner. The film holders are flimsy but very sensible. They allow strip film of any size to be put in and the software works out where the gaps are. As long as you tell it which size you are scanning (645, 6x6, 6x9 etc) then it does a really good job of finding the images. The digital ice works well and the default sharpening is at a sensible level. The resolution is way above what I needed but I didn't buy the scanner for that. What I wanted it for was sharpness and colour. The sharpness is good, very good in fact for a flatbed scanner. The colour is outstanding and the shadow and highlight detail really comes through. Film may have grain but it also has a tonality that digital rarely captures.

Very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Scanner, 17 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
Very impressed indeed with this item. I bought the Plustek Opticfilm 7200i scanner at first but the software was so unstable i couldnt run it on Vista. then i saved a bit more money and got this baby and i'm so glad i did. the quality is brilliant. professional mode gives you all the control you could want and the silverfast software has some great features too. you can scan 35mm, medium format, large format and its great for my panoramic swing lens camera too. Also scanning a whole film at high quality is a dream on this compared to the Plustek. i can leave this working away for hours (24 frames on very high settings) and be sure its fine, where as the other one could crash and burn after seconds.
very pleased and would certainly recommend this if you can afford to pay out a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Scanner, 27 Feb. 2009
Andrew Drinkwater (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
Easy to get going, takes a little time to get the best results.

Installed software and all Vista upgrades before plugging in scanner, once this was done had no issues at all running scanner under Vista.

Very easy to get scans of films, negatives, slides etc. If you want really hi-res results or something a little out of the ordinary takes a bit of time playing with settings to get best results.

So far tried colour and b&w prints, colour slides, colour and B&W 35mm negatives, and 120 B&W negatives, and no issues at all. Slides and negatives are great, just load up the holder, click preview to ensure it looks OK, and then click go and you get a nice collection of files output for all the images loaded.

It is quite a big unit, so takes up a lot of desk space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Epson V700 Scanner, 12 Feb. 2010
Mr. P. Lovell "Peter" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
My primary purpose for purchasing the product was to scan 8,500 railway 35mm railway slides taken between 1973-1992. The product was delivered within 36hrs of ordering. I also ordered a separate USB cable although this was included.

The instructions are OK. They could be more comprehensive, but with an hour or so of trial and error you can determine your preferences. I have been very pleased with the quality of reproduction where the original slide was sharp and kept well. The ICE and dust removal software is good, although I have switched it off as it misread train headlights for dust and covered them over. I found the integral colour restoration feature lacked sensitivity as slides requiring digital enhancement need to be looked at individually to achieve the best result. Results from old B & W photos have also been good. A box of 36 slides takes about 45 minutes to scan. The frame holder takes 12 slides so once you have loaded it and started scanning you can leave it and replensih about every 12-15 minutes. One of the retaining clips in the 35mm slide frame has broken after being used about 700 times, although this is not a problem as the slides still sit in their mounts without moving.

The package also comes with a separate digital enhancement package that appears very comprehensive (with instructions!). I have not used this so far finding it faster to move any images needing enhancement into the computers existing software (Apple iphoto) with good results.

Overall I'm pleased with the product and recommend potential purchasers to seriously consider it. If purchasing also consider buying a small mobile vacuum cleaner and/or soft brush to keep the scanner and slides free of dust, hairs and loose fibres.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving 35mm slides into the digital world, 17 Oct. 2009
Mark Wingrove "Wingers57" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
I have owned several digital compact cameras since 2001. Last year I moved into the DSLR world with a Canon 40D. I have a legacy of over 3000 slides from the good old days and was looking for a method to digitize them so that I could get them into a similar format to my recent digital images. Like most people I have boxes of old photographs in one form or another, through out the 1980's and 1990's I moved to slides because of the inconsistent quality of prints.

I read several reviews on this product, and the Epson V750. I did not feel I could justify the V750, I liked the idea of pure optical scanning at 6400dpi, and the ability to scan with infra red as well. I own a dedicated film scanner from Acer (Scanwit) so had some experience. This product could scan up to 2400 dpi and turned in some reasonable results. My problem however was making the decision to empty several cubic feet of slide boxes from a cupboard and get them into a digital format. So my first requirement was automation. The V700 can scan 12 slides at 3200 dpi in around 18 minutes. This assumes that you don't do anything clever with them, just equalize image, and select backlit or colour restoration through the Epson scanner s/w.

I have had the product for 10 days and have scanned in 1400 slides so far. I have another 2000 to go, then I will move to the negatives and prints. It is very easy to use, and produces very good results. It is more versatile than the limited way I am using it, but I will comment below on my experience as there are probably many other people out there thinking about digitizing their old 35mm slides or negatives as well.

One downside is that it comes with Laser Soft SilverFast scanner software; which only loads onto an XP machine. I have several PC's but I wanted to use this with a laptop which had Vista on it. I had not come across Laser Soft before, but I can see it is held in high regard by professionals. I did go to the Laser Soft website and download SilverFast AI. This application comes with the V750. There does not seem to be much other than an anti reflective coating and the SilverFast Ai software to differentiate between the V750 and V700. So I paid around Euro's 99 to get the upgrade. BUT....

While I cannot say I have fully utilised all aspects of SilverFast Ai I found that the standard Epson scanner software was easy to use, and produced comparable results. So this is what I have used for this mass scanning activity. For the odd picture that is underexposed or complex in some way I have used SilverFast Ai to do an HDR scan which takes a long time but does produce a better result. It is a matter of time really.

One thing to bear in mind is that what we do today with a decent 10 megapixel camera is better than what you will likely produce with scanned slides. I tried scanning at 4800 dpi (equivalent of 22M pixel) and did not get a better result than the 3200 dpi. 3200 dpi produces a similar file size to a 10M Pixel camera that uses low compression (3-5 MByte files) in JPEG format. At 3200 dpi (and I have seen this too at 2400 dpi with an earlier scanner) the film grain starts to show. It depends on the speed of the film. The other thing that is noticeable is whether the image was accurately focused or not. I found slides that I was quite proud of turned out to be poorly focused at 3200 dpi. Get a sharp image and well exposed with high contrast and it will produce a stunning digital image.

So in conclusion, very easy to use, intuitive even when using the expert menu's. The ability to scan at 48 bit resolution (TIF) is important if you want to get images that you can play with before reducing them to JPEGs. The Epson software is great. The ability to convert 12 images at a time relatively quickly was what drove me to this scanner. I am also more than happy that should I need to go higher resolution or higher bit depth, then this scanner can do it. It is also highly recommended because of image density it can resolve. Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner really IS Perfection, 20 Mar. 2009
Mrs. M. Baker "Moira B" (Outer Hebrides, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
I purchased this scanner because I had masses of photos and slides which I wanted to scan onto my imac. I can only say the outcome has been fantastic, considering some of the slides were 50 years old! The slides themselves appeared damaged but when scanned in, were perfect. I am so impressed and would confirm this is a great piece of kit and worth every single penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb slide scanning, 3 Mar. 2010
David Bird - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
With hundreds (if not thousands) of slides that need scanning I purchased a product advertised as specifically for scanning slides. It was absolute rubbish. It is frequently advertised in newspapers and magazines - do not buy it. Buy this Epson Perfection V700: it is superb. Scanning twelve at a time, it can be loaded and left running while doing other work. Most of my pictures look better than they ever did as slides because corrections can be made. Money well spent!

1.0 out of 5 stars good scanner, but epson help desk absoloutely and utterly useless, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner (Electronics)
The problems started when the scanner would only scan two thirds of the glass plate, the last row of slides were only partially scanned. This is where the Epson help desk comes in, they were very good at checking round suggesting looking for stray packing pieces etc., but to no avail. I suggested that I wanted a replacement, but they don't have any, or any parts, or an engineer to call in empty handed for a look, but I had to do all the phone calls despite many promised call backs. Then they started to blame the local service agent who they would not name, so I couldnt go directly. I got a different excuse every day for a week, some of their staff are cool and experienced, some are down right cheeky. I gave up disgusted at their antics, and returned it via Amazon who were again brilliant refunding postage costs and the purchase price with excellent communication.
Now I need a scanner and will I look at Epson ?.............

Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner