5.0 out of 5 stars Future Nostalgia
Published on 13 Mar 2011 by H. Llewelyn

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
I really, really like El Camino and Brothers and bought this without realizing it's a tribute to Junior Kimbrough and his songs - my fault.

It's a short electric blues/rock album which is ok but without, to my ears, being memorable in anyway. After several plays I can't remember any of the songs unlike on the aforementioned albums.

I'd say listen...
Published 10 months ago by M. R. Massey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Future Nostalgia, 13 Mar 2011
H. Llewelyn "Hugh Llewelyn the Welshman" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
Being a relic of the 60's Brit Blues-Rock era and a fan of Fleetwood Mac/Chicken Shack/John Mayall blues (a reference to Liverpool Scene if anyone can remember them), I was amazed when I heard this EP and thought I must have been transported back in time. I am sure I will feel as nostalgic about this album in 40 years time (even though I will be 100) as I do about Cream or Ten Years After albums now. That they're Yanks rather than Brits is just a technicality. Although I thought I knew many of the old black blues artists, I had never heard of Junior Kimbrough (which only goes to show what little I know) so had no idea what to expect when I first heard this EP. But from the opening track "Keep Your Hands Off My Woman" (what a brilliant title! and it's an absolute electric blues gem) to the last "My Mind is Ramblin'" (which particularly resonates with me an my stage of decreptitude) the whole album is a real treat. Not one dud. If you're someone from my era who just doesn't know what to buy of current music, buy this. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 23 Nov 2007
G. Kimpton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
I have listened to The Black Keys for years and, although thickfreakness was great, I believe they still havent managed to re-create the magic of The Big Come Up. With Chulahoma all of the intimacy and warmth of that record is restored. Its obvious Dan is a huge Kimbrough fan; the songs are lovingly performed at a leisurely pace that works really well. I liked Magic Potion, but I probably now listen to this Ep more than any of the other albums. That could be worrying since the songs are not theirs, but the execution of them is pure Black Keys. Enough of the Jack and Dan comparisons, they are worlds apart and as good as each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Tribute, 6 April 2010
Scott Coates (Stoke On Trent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
When I brought this I had never heard of Junior Kimbrough but was a huge fan of the Black Keys. Despite that this artifact of pure soul and heavy gut punching rock is to me there best work and a shame that it did not extend to a whole album. Every song is performed from the heart. Keep your hands off her is the opener which floats above the air entering your mind with Dan Auerbach's plea to leave his girl alone. Have Mercy on Me is my favourite song as it kick statrs with brooding stormcloud of blues rock we are all use to from them, then after the storm comes the repentance, a perfect song for anyone who has done things worng in there life and how much we all seek mercy and forgiveness. Work Me and Meet me in the City are both excellent numbers but the next track Nobody But You surpasses them, the crying anguish of the blues are ever present here, the lusting after a girl you can't get who is always on your mind. The closer My Mind is Ramblin is the poetic wanderings of the mind and builds up to the crescnedo that has been worked up across the EP. The guitar work pierces the skin and Pat's heavy hitting brings you down to the ground.

The Black Keys have created something timeless and incredibly special, so much so that we are treated to at the end a phone message from Junior Kimbrough's wife expressing her appreciation of what the duo have put together. As for the man himself, it is well worth checking Junior Kimbrough out. An often overlooked figure when discussing blues giants. Now thanks to this moving and flawless tribute, it will direct people towards his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing EP Buy it Now, 1 Oct 2008
Mr. Craig Smith "nifmasterjay" (Hamilton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
I agree totally with the previous reviews. A straight blues cover EP, that has so atmospheric, emotional and quite simply beautiful. It's the best £6 you'll ever spend. My favorite keys album, along with Thickfreakness.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album You've Never Heard, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
As The Black Keys forge ahead with El Camino, their awesome new modern rock album, Chulahoma remains the unsung pinnacle of their old blues rock style, and still my favourite by a long shot. I hope that some of the fans who've picked up on The Black Keys in recent years will be able to appreciate it. If you liked 'Everywhere I Go' (Thickfreakness), well, it's like that, only better.

This is an album of gorgeous, brilliantly balanced blues rock, reinterpreting Junior Kimbrough's music with real class. The Black Keys smooth out the sometimes frenetic rock solo style of Thickfreakness or Rubber Factory into a finely tuned and polished blues sound, combining their own grit with Junior's driving rhythm. While Dan's guitar hits the nail on the head, Pat's drumming is intricate and so good that you can listen to the whole album without hearing anything else. Sometimes more like rock, sometimes more like blues, in a nutshell, this is the best of what The Black Keys duo have to offer in one highly concentrated package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic blues, 7 April 2008
DAVE HORN "Dave Horn" (Ellington Village, Northumberland, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
I agree with the two other 5* reviews already given for this EP. It is a truly superb piece of work. I can't imagine many other bands covering an EP of someone else's material and to do so you must really love it.

If you like blues of any sort and especially The Black Keys then you'll love this. It could just as easily be an album of their own compositions. Pure blues magic.

You even get a little message from Junior Kimbrough's widow thanking the guys for doing such a good job.

Thanks guys (and Junior Kimbrough for the songs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best thing they've ever done, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
I'm a Black Keys fan but their take on Junior Kimbrough's music is extraordinary. It's a shame that a blues artist as talented as Kimbrough needs the intervention of a modern band to introduce the world to his genius, yet out of that unfairness has risen something wonderful. Describing this as the best thing the Keys have ever done isn't meant as an insult, after all they had the entire Kimbrough backlog to choose from so you'd expect an EP of covers to stand a fair chance of being successful, and this is a masterpiece. This is blues that is sad yet somehow simultaneously gloriously uplifting, almost hypnotic, and you'll find yourself drifting off into another world at times, carried along by the music.
If you're a fan of the Black Keys or even just have a passing interest in the blues, buy this. And if you're not a fan of Junior Kimbrough yet then do yourself a favour and buy yourself some of his own recordings too, as I can't believe anyone who likes the blues could fail to fall in love with his music. The word "genius" is much over-used but Kimbrough deserves the tag, and paired with one of the most innovative bands of the last decade it's no surprise this record is as good as it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought they'd lost it........., 4 May 2006
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
OK I will be honest, I found Rubber Factory fairly average and was disappointed in their new DVD, for me Thickfreakness was their last golden moment. So I ordered this with not much optimism but intrigued to hear them covering Junior Kimbrough (who I am not familiar with), and............

IT'S ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! It has a very unique chilled vibe to it while still having that g'ole Black Keys sound. Tempo is fairly slow on all the tracks while theres lots of long windy guitar instrumentals, it just makes beautiful summer music,, and it's a wonderful coincedence that the weather has been so good on its week of release.

BUY IT!

And, finally, I am extremely anti the whole 'Keys VS Stripes' thing, Dan and Jack are the most different blues based guitarists you can get, Jack's white-hot at rootsy stuff while Dan's much more inventive. BUT, now the Stripes have gone very wrong in their 'new direction' (and then split!) i can safely say in 2006 the Keys win!

Right, now I'm off to check out some JK stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars The real mccoy, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
Great stuff. Atmospheric and, at times, emotional. 'Ramblin on my mind' is just brilliant but there are no duff tracks. If you like the blues but like it sounding raw, then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars wicked, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Chulahoma (Audio CD)
Love this cd have played it over and over saw them play the o2 they were great I have found out my son has this cd but it was still worth buying

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Chulahoma
Chulahoma by The Black Keys (Audio CD - 2012)