5.0 out of 5 stars A dream to use
Published on 28 Nov 2007 by L Bentley

3.0 out of 5 stars good for RSI
I bought this on advice from a hand therapist at hospital re RSI. I would recommend you see a hand therapist at a local hospital via your doctor for advice as only he/she can advise the right mouse.

Published on 17 July 2011 by grace

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream to use, 28 Nov 2007
This review is from: 3M Optical USB Ergonomic Mouse, Wired, 3 Buttons, Small / Medium (Personal Computers)
I work as a document specialist in a big law firm and regularly amend and reformat documents of 200 pages or more. After many years of doing this, my wrist and hand have suffered. Our H&S guy gave me one of these to try out and I have had no wrist pain since. The only finger movement (apart from the thumb) is to push the scroll button on the side. However, it's a very slight movement and a totally different action from the usual clicking and scrolling with your index and middle fingers. It keeps the arm and hand at a natural angle and the movement from the shoulder is very gentle. It is very responsive and fast, and I had absolutely no trouble adapting to it. In fact I have bought another two for home computers. I can't praise it enough. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU 3M! SUPERB! DOES WHAT IT SAYS!, 4 May 2007
I bought this mouse because of all the reviews saying it helped alleviate wrist problems from rsi/carpal tunnel and it worked for me. I have frequent ache after long periods on the PC. My father suffers severley from carpel tunnel, confirmed by his doctor/hospital and it does not aggrivate it like a normal mouse does. Thank you 3M! Actually looks much cooler in real life than in the photo and will be a talking point for curious envious visitors who will feel like they are back in the stone ages with their wrist hurting mice. It take a little getting used to, and is very accurate, nice feel and high quality. It's not a joystick where you move the paddle, you move the whole unit which is like a mouse at the bottom. This is great for a gift to the person who has everything too. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 7 Jan 2009
After several years of typing on small keyboards in bad chairs, I developed a nasty case of RSI. With this mouse and an ergonomic keyboard, I am pain free and VERY happy.

I would advise anyone who uses a computer for hours at a time to invest in one of these BEFORE the problems start, not after. You would save yourself a great deal of unpleasantness.

This mouse can also be used for gaming, scrolling, it is highly responsive and exceedingly comfortable.

Every one of my friends who has tried it (and they all want to) have found using it to be very intuitive, and adjust to it in a very short time.

Thank you 3M, without this mouse, I would probably have had to give up my chosen career, because the RSI was so painful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth trying, 23 Nov 2010
Good points...

* Reduces wear and tear on index finger joints
* Wrist friendly
* Well made
* Confuses normal mouse users!

Bad points

* Pin-point accuracy is tricky
* Clunky to move around compared to the standard shape
* Too easy to hit that big centre button by mistake

Overall

Worth buying if you have index finger or wrist problems but at the cost of loosing accuracy.
Expensive for just a normal mouse turned sideways.
Note this is one solid unit - that handle doesnt tilt or swivel.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3M Ergonomic Mouse, 12 May 2008
Mr. Peter H. Worley "Budgie fancier" (Broadstairs, Kent) - See all my reviews
I bought two of these mice - one for work and one for home - and have now used them for about one year. I was put off buying one earlier because of the price, but I can honestly say that they have made a huge difference to the discomfort I suffer with normal mice. I broke my wrist years ago and the resulting arthritis makes even small repetitive movements painful. The 3M ergonomic mouse makes you hold your wrist in an easy upright position, and has the added benefit of removing the wrist from an often cold desktop (arthritis sufferers will know what I mean!). The controls take only a few minutes to get used to, and a conventional mouse now seems quaintly old-fashioned! I couldn't recommend it more (despite the price).

3.0 out of 5 stars good for RSI, 17 July 2011

Now iv done the disclaimer!! i was advised to use this because it keeps the arm straight and sideways - however you need to make sure you have the space to use it properly - at the right height for it to work - it is hard to get that right and my arm hurts if it isnt perfectly positioned. correctly spaced it is excellent.

it stopped working for a while and i contacted the seller but got no reply - reason given a lower mark. if i have problems i dont know what help i will get so will hav to go through Amazon themselves re the 6 years british law says you have for an item to do its job - the sale of goods act doesnt cover a year only as guarantees do - the law states items should last longer than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good ergonomic mouse - medium manufacture quality, 20 Sep 2010
functionally - ergonomically speaking is very good. It helped me a lot with my wrist problem. the manufacture quality it seems average or below average. it doesn't feel like it is built to last for a long time. it seems it is very cost saving built.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable!, 2 May 2009
I had a period of 2 years with pain in right hand (normal mouse hand) and pains in index finger. Swapped to left hand and gradually the pain appeared there. Then tried this mouse - GREAT. In combination with the MS Keyboard 4000, my computer pains all disappeared - primarily due to the use of this mouse.

Yes - it is "different", though it is far more pleasing to use and certainly more comfortable than a conventional mouse. The top button is a rocker button for the thumb for the left/right mouse clicks and the on handle button for scrolling. Works with XP and Vista. Note that there are 2 sizes a "Small/Medium" and a "Large" - 3M's site has advice on which would be more suitable.

Only downside is that it is a bit bulky for a laptop bag - I have damaged one where the handle broke, but had no second thoughts in ordering another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent solution, 11 Mar 2009
My hand pain was very bad but this mouse is helping me back from the brink... I just wanted to add two provisos... No question about it, this mouse is not for LEFT handers. I was hoping it might be possible to swivel the handle or something but no... As a former attempt at cure I have re-learned how to 'mouse' using my left hand and hoped to be able to swap over but no way is that possible. Might be something to consider if anyone at 3m reads this... Having said that, the design is really pretty good - so much that even a sore hand like mine may not need to swap over - even long term. The other thing is that although miles better than a ball-mouse, it does get a bit confused on some surfaces - that's mice for ya...

1.0 out of 5 stars not usable for me anyway), 6 Nov 2011
This seemed like a good idea but I found myself unable to use it. I wanted to help my RSI but I could not make fine movements with this. Perhaps it's just me.