The last two people who gave a review said that this was not very good i have to disagree. I have had the PSP for 7 months now and think it has alot to offer.

Firstly shall i address a few problems people have mentioned:

Published on 22 Aug 2006 by Michael Kerby

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm......
I have owned a PSP for about 6 months now and wanted to relay my experience of the console.

The Hardware: There has been much written about the PSP's dodgy controls but they're not that bad. I tend not to use the analog 'nub' since it feels very imprecise and is rather awkwardly placed but the D-pad does just fine for almost everything. Battery life is...
Published on 27 Dec 2006 by A Disenchanted Consumer

5.0 out of 5 stars Console for people looking to buy PS3 and prefer Playstation and Sony over others, 22 Aug 2006
Michael Kerby "M Kerby" (London UK) - See all my reviews

Firstly shall i address a few problems people have mentioned:

It is very simple to put videos onto the PSP IF YOU USE THE CORRECT SOFTWARE (PSP Video 9 is free and has helped me with many videos or you can buy converters for DVD movies).

Memory is NOT expensive. On amazon you can buy a 1GB memory stick for 20 and sometimes even cheaper - compared to buying hard disk space that is very cheap (i have got 20 videos of half an hour at decent quality on mine and game space is very small)

The network access code COMES WITH YOUR ROUTER OR WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD INFO FROM THE SONY WEBSITE!!! - it doesn't take a genius to do this .... just someone who has common sense really

Games tray is weak ..... if you want to use your PSP to smash people over the head with!!!! You do not want to leave it open but you wouldnt leave you CD drive open on your computer would you

Games that have been released recently have been to show the different capabilities of the PSP, graphics, game play etc - the better games will be released to come along with the PS3 (which also means you can use the PSP with the PS3 as a controller by the way)

Pixels do become dead HOWEVER you can download programs created to get rid of this problem if it occurs

The DS is good (i currently own both) and the features of the DS are good aswell, but they offer different things - the DS offers classic Nintendo games and the similar game play to this with the obvious benefit of the double screen. The PSP offers wider range of 3D graphics and do what it asks to do, play music, videos, games and pictures. I prefer the PSP (its not for everyone and for me it is its versitillity more than anything) but people need to know that the problems with it are just the same as any other new console and these are not very big problems anyway

4.0 out of 5 stars PSP: Bad start, but good once it got going., 20 Jan 2007
Mr. J. R. Bain (Northamptonshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
I recently purchased this console because I was quite eager to get my hands on Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. My first attempt to buy this console turned out bad, turns out the memory port on it was broken, after buying another memory stick to rule out the possibility of it being bad, I discovered that the unit was to blame.

Sony were less than helpful, my first call to them being absolutely laughable; the chap kept harping on about downloading the latest firmware... How?? The memory card isn't being detected! Furthermore he couldn't seem to wait to get me off the phone (when he wasn't being distracted by his mate). Other "engineers" also espoused that it was the fact that firmware 2.81 wasn't good at detecting 2gb memory stick's.

All of it was nonsense as up to this point 2gb sticks were fine, it was 4gb sticks that had issues with earlier firmware. After my own deductive logic, the last engineer eventually agreed it was the unit. I should note that one call to them even got disconnected in the middle of giving the girl my information, cue beating head against a brick wall.

Trying to RMA the unit through Sony was as laughable as their "engineers" and customer services; after being told I should fax my receipt to them, it turned out their fax machine was broken. Imagine a support centre as big as Sony could afford, having one solitary fax machine in the whole place, no doubt the gravity of the task of receiving hundreds of faxes a day, forced it to commit suicide. I too was on the verge of this, so I and the fax machine had bonded it seemed.

Thank heaven's for Amazon and their swift replacement procedure; I couldn't thank the customer service chap I spoke to enough, for his help. I now have a new unit and it now accepts both memory sticks and I am pleased to say, I am happily starting to get the hang of the controls while playing through LC:S and VC:S. I admit these seem obscure to me, but that's years of being an x-box gamer

Once it gets going, you should be happy with your choice in the PSP... if things go wrong however, expect very little help from Sony's customer care centre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 Feb 2007
L. Burgess "l_eeburgess" (Bristol, Avon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
I work a lot of night shifts, and its sometimes very boring while your on your break.

I usually pass the time playing games on my mobile phone, but one day somebody brought a PSP in and I sat and watched him playing syphon filter, I knew then I had to have one.

So I got one with wipeout, GTA liberty city and vice city and killzone.

I have to admit that I intended to use the PSP when I am out somewhere and am bored, but I have started playing it more and more at home now and I love it.

The graphics are very impressive for a handheld console, as is the sound. The WLAN is also good, but a little slow and quite often you cant view an entire web page as you run out of memory, which is a little frustrting at times, I just use the PC for the internet anyway so its not a problem really.

My only complaint is with the analogue stick. It seems as though it was an afterthought and just stuck on at the last minute. After an hour or so playing I get thumb ache. It should have two analogue sticks and also an L2 and R2 button. Not a major problem though, and even with that I'm still rating this 5 stars because its just brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely piece of kit, 4 Oct 2006
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
There are a lot of very childish reviews about the PSP that I assume come from small children that own Gameboys and I am surprised that Amazon publishes them. This is genuinly a very good gadget. I own both a PSP and a Gameboy (although not a DS yet). I spend a lot of time sitting on aeroplanes and at airports and this thing is a god send. I especially like that I can put movies and TV shows on it, as well as music and games. For a hand held console the graphics are amazing, considerably better than anything else on the market. I also think there are some very good games out there too.

The only gripes I have are that it really would be nice if it had an in-built hard drive (20-40gb would be nice) and it is definately too quiet. It's fine for playing games but when you want to watch tv or movies or listen to music on a plane, even through "in-ear" headphones you can only just hear it.

That aside, I don't think you'd be disapointed with a PSP. I'm not and I'm usually very hard to please.

4.0 out of 5 stars PSP vs. DS (non fanboy perspective), 26 Jun 2007
Peri Urban "periurban" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
In the field of portable gaming the choice that most newcomers will make will be between the PSP and the Nintendo DS.

Having traded in the DS to get the PSP, I might be slightly biased, but I think the strengths and weaknesses of both platforms can be pretty easily identified.

The PSP has better graphics. End of story. Have a look at Ratchet and Clank running on the PSP and see if you can find anything that looks like that on the DS. You can't. Only the much lauded Metroid Prime: Hunters comes close.

If you want the latest colourful toy to impress your friends with, then consider no further. The PSP is your thing.

But it isn't quite perfection.

The PSP has a bigger screen, with brighter and sharper colours, but it is bought at the expense of some pretty extreme blurring at times. Rotate the camera in Chile Non Carnage to see the landscape simply wash out into a mush of rich Mexican gold. Or witness the fringing effects around strong toned sharp edges in LocoRoco.

Having said that, the screen is easy enough to look at, and the blurring issue doesn't

spoil the experience.

The double screens on the DS are both solid. But then they aren't doing as much.

The controls on the PSP are fairly standard issue. The PSP has an analogue stick, which works pretty well. The DS doesn't need a stick, because it has a touch screen.

Neither system is perfect, with the PSP suffering at times from button overload. It's all too easy to hit the wrong button whilst simply adjusting your sitting position. The thing bristles with buttons! The DS is relatively sparsely populated by comparison.

The DS can feel a little cramped at times, especially when using the stylus on the touch screen at the same time as a full set of buttons. The PSP feels better, but lacks the precision afforded by the touch screen.

The PSP has way better sound, but only through headphones. Neither machine has anything approaching enough volume through the built in speakers, the PSP being particularly bad. But through a half decent set of cans the PSP wins out hands down.

The DS uses a traditional cartridge format, which is much less of an issue in these days of cheap chips and memory. But the PSP UMD CD based format does have the potential to deliver more Including full length movies). But that does mean that the PSP needs a memory card, which might be a bit of a pain if it wasn't for the many other uses you can make of it.

You can (of course) save games to the memory card, but you can also connect it to your PC via USB and share files. You can store and play back both video, pictures and music from your PSP. The DS has no such magic.

Both machines will address the internet, but only the PSP allows you to download demos and software direct to the memory card. Through wi fi you can play multiplayer with both machines, either between individual units in close proximity, or over the web.

So, in technical terms the PSP looks much stronger, with only its somewhat Heath Robinson ergonomics letting it down. The DS has the second screen in the lid, allowing both screens to be protected when the unit is closed. You will need a tough case for the PSP or that lovely screen will be scratched fairly quickly. I never needed a case for the DS.

Incidentally, in practice the double screen of the DS is a gimmick. The touch screen effectively acts as a control surface like a touch pad on a laptop. But it is as much a pain to use as it is a joy, requiring one hand to be suspended unsupported above the console. It would be fine if the graphics of the DS were up to delivering a good first person shooter experience, where a "better than a mouse" control system might come into it's own. But they aren't.

When it comes to games the sheer breadth of variety available for the PSP again pushes it ahead. There is still a good variety of stuff for the Nintendo, but in terms of the number of games available at any one time there is a bewildering paucity. Where is LemmingsDS - the game the platform might have been made for? Where are the good driving games? The PSP has two Burnout titles every bit as good as the "grown up" versions. The DS has Mario Kart. Fine if you're a fan of Mario Kart (which I am!) but hardly cutting edge stuff.

So, if you love games and want to have a good supply of them get the PSP. If you'd like to watch videos, store pictures or listen to music on the same machine, get the PSP. If you want to browse the web from free hotspots, get the PSP.

If you want to play Nintendogs or Mario Kart, get the DS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Entertainment....................................... anywhere, 8 May 2006
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
I've got to test the PSP's abilities since it's launch on September 1st and boy, it's been a nice ride. The screen is HUGE, the graphics of the games are unbelievable and the sound is great if you use the earphones. Films, music and photos just make it better. The UMD's are great and can fit huge games and films. The controls are great and the analogue stick is very nice to use. The one thing that it's missing is a second analogue stick. The FPS on the PSP are hard to use with the "shape" buttons been used as up, down, left and right. Still, that's the only niggle with the whole thing though. It's expensive sure, but it's worth it. If you have a console and don't go away much, it may not be for you. The PSP basically supplies great entertainment in any form wherever you are, so it's your decision. People complain about the battery life. I personally find the six hours plenty, especially since it charges quite fast. Look, you've probably read about all it's features before. I'm just another fan encouraging you to buy it. I think it's worth it, but it's up to you. Hope you enjoy the world of the PSP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 8 Dec 2006
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
Well....let me tell you i owned a DS for about half a year and yeh it was great fun! However the games were just not my kind of games so i sold and purchased a PSP!

Graphics: Insane! for such a small thing the graphics are superb! I own Burnout, Pursuit force, medievil and virtua tennis. All of these look great and are fun to play! But to really get the best graphics from your machine you should really get games like: GTA Vice City Stories or even just Lego Star Wars 2 (strange conbination i know) but i have played both and they are extremely good.

Music & Photos: Excellent quality pictures thanks to the bright,powerful screen. You can zoom in and out and set your favourite photos as your background at the main menu. Music is good quality when listening through the headphones but quite quiet nothing to worry about though! still good to listen to out of the main speakers but not as good quality. It is a shame that you really have to get at least a 1GB memory card to be able to get a descent amount of music to listen to but you can get them cheap now!

Videos: Films and videos are a very nice feature. It is simple to convert your own films and UMDs are excellent as well. The picture quality is amazing and the screen is a surprisingly good size. Good stuff!

The other nice "touch" that is great is being able to go on the internet. i dont have wireless but my friends do and its fast and smooth when you are surfing the net.

I have had no problems with mine and i hope this helps any unsure people who can't decide between a DS or a PSP!

But come on your not going to get GTA games on a DS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best handheld out there, 17 May 2006
L Hentschel (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
Ok this is my first ever handheld console & have to say I'm very impressed. Being 26 years old I felt my home-made PC was tying me to my desk far too much. Why play games, watch movies or listen to music at home when you can do it on the move, right?

I chose the base pack because if you look around the net you can get more for your money by accessorising rather than buying a gigapack.

Like other techno buffs I did extensive research into Sony's PS systems as well as other leading brands. It was important to know if my handheld includes a range of connectivity options other than a PC, and we all know that most devices can connect to PCs.

The PSP in a wide range of reviews from CNET.com to IGN.com has been accused of being a mediocre multi-media centre. Its music player has been compared to iPOD & vPOD, its movie player compared to the latest portable DVD players and multi-media centres, and its gaming capibilities compared to the PS2 & Xbox. Lets get a reality check here; you aren't going to get all of that in one machine, at least not without making it a whole lot chunkier. So here what I think of the PSP:

The screen is absolutely beautiful, the supplied demo disc shows you its full colour & motion capabilities. Games demos and music videos look vibrant and alive.

The sound system (without headphones) is suitable only for gaming, remember its not a Sony Wega home theatre system or a DJ's mixer board so its output is limited. With headphones its a different story, in my opinion sound is crisp and clear with plenty of bass which is good for movies. There are also a few different presets such as Heavy, Jazz or original.

Connectivity options are very good without the need for a PC which is why I got this system. It can connect to the internet through its built in browser all you have to have is a wireless broadband router.

For music and movies I recommend a Neuros Recorder 2 (do a Google search). These can cost almost as much as the base unit but all you have to do is connect it to your satellite or digibox, dvd player/recorder or VCR. Then put in your memory card, press record and when its done put the card back in the PSP. No taring your hair out with PC software.

I'm still waiting for some games to come through but I've no doubt they are going to be entertaining.

Accessories: You would also be well advised to get a Logitech PSP protective case (available from Amazon). These are cheap, rubber lined armoured cases but virtually indestructable and will save your PSP from scratches and damage.

A decent size memory card is also advised as the base pack does not include one.

4.0 out of 5 stars psp review, 20 Aug 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
i've had my PSP for a year now and i can say has now become part of my daily life,from the train to and from work to just a quick game of something while waiting for the missus to get changed for going out,their a some detractors going on about the games available for the PSP and to some respect they have a point quite a few are little more than a direct port of ps2 games (normally with a few added features especially wireless/multiplayer)but is this a problem "if it ain't broke don't fix it" most games nowadays can directly link themselves to a game in the past (all fps are just Doom in a different coat).It's also fair to say that UMD has bit the bullet but thats not a problem because you can easily get free on the internet programs that will convert any dvd you have to psp requirments then it's just a simple drag and drop into the memory card ( yes these can be expensive but again look on the internet and you'll find cheap ones ).The dead pixel problem is not one i've had nor any of my friends so i can't comment on that but if it was as big a problem as some people have made out surely Sony would be suffering in PSP sales.So to end what Sony have made is a top class gaming machine that will (with a 2meg memory card)easily cope with a couple of movies a whole lot of mp3's and all your game saves all in one not quite pocket size machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Versatile and Worth the Investment, 21 Dec 2006
This review is from: Base Unit Console: Black (PSP) (Video Game)
I own a DS and while that is fun in it's own way (you can be 8 years old for a while) it doesn't compare to the PSP. This thing is amazing. The graphics are something else and really do put the DS to shame. Don't listen to the kids that come on here and try to compare the PSP to the DS, it's like comparing a Push Bike to a Motor Cycle. The PSP is defiantly aimed at the older market and the DS is firmly for the under 15's. You can surf the net, watch films (via UMD or memory stick) and managing it via a PC or MAC is childs play. There are a lot of free programs out there that will let you make legal copies of your DVD collections and save them to your memory stick. I got 4 episodes of Spaced, 1 episode of Little Britain, 1 Episode of Doctor Who, 1 Episode of Buffy, Scream and Serenity onto a 2gb memory stick that I got for 15 off Amazon Market place. It certainly makes a 3 hour coach journey fly by.

The games blow you away from the instantly absorbing GTA-Vice City to the utterly addictive Loco Roco and then to the blistering Wipeout:Pure there is something here for everyone. With the prequel to FF:7 coming next year along with Silent Hill Origins and Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary the PSP is set to get some real classic EXCLUSIVES. The DS just wouldn't be able to handle these games. You only have to compare like for like titles like Tomb Raider Legend, and while this isn't the ground breaking game it once was it certainly looks and plays better on PSP.

If you fancy playing with a virtual dog get a DS, if you want to play proper near PS2 standard games, get a PSP, it's worth the extra bit of cash.

With Nintendo reportedly redesigning the DS AGAIN, why would you want to buy something that is going to be out of date again in a couple of months?

Base Unit Console: Black (PSP)
Used & New from: 28.99