5.0 out of 5 stars What a Reunion!
Published on 17 Nov. 2006 by David Terrar

3.0 out of 5 stars Not half bad
On first listen this album really didn't seem to hit the spot, but I think it's a grower, because after a few listens I liked it more and more.
I've not heard of the group before, but saw that they were playing locally in the UK and judging by the list of instruments shown in the programme, thought they would be my cup of tea.
I think I tend to judge all folk...
Published on 21 April 2008 by MilleR

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Reunion!, 17 Nov. 2006
David Terrar (St. Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reunion: A Decade Of Solas (Audio CD)
Back in 2002 I did one of those impulse purchases when you buy a CD on the strength of a comment on the promotional sticker on the front. The album was Edge Of Silence by Solas. Actually it wasn't completely on impulse. I have one of those Putamayo world music compilations from '98 called Celtic Tides, and one of my favourite tracks on that was Maid on the Shore by Solas. Edge of Silence is a brilliant mix of contemporary and traditional Irish music, by an American/Irish band based in Philadelphia. I've since tracked back through their back catalogue and bought everything since. Earlier this year they released Reunion, to celebrate being around for 10 years. The CD is beautifully recorded live, and is fantastic value, because it comes with the DVD of the reunion concert.

They assembled all of the musicians that have ever played with the band, including their first singer Karen Casey, and their current singer Dierdre Scanlan. The CD has 17 songs, and the DVD 25, tracking through the history of their output. Some songs are done with the original line ups, and others mix the personnel, or have everyone, and some guests, playing together. The band is fronted by multi-instrumentalist Seamus Egan, and violinist Winifred Horan who have remained constant throughout the changes, and create the signature of the Solas sound. Some of the traditional material is hundreds of years old, but with their arrangements, and fantastic musicianship it all sounds so fresh. Their own songs and more recent material is mixed in, and there is a fine balance between ballads and songs, and Irish jigs and reels. Particular favourites include Silver Dagger, Black Annis, Who's in the What Now... oh, actually I'm about to list all 17 songs. If you like Irish music, you'll love this, but if you just like music, I defy you not to get involved with the beauty and the fun of it.

The documentary/concert DVD is absolutely excellent too - makes up for the fact that they rarely (if ever?) get over to the UK. If you ever saw the movie The Brothers McMullen, Seamus Egan wrote the music. That soundtrack is well worth tracking down too, but go buy Reunion first.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Reunion: A Decade Of Solas (Audio CD)
great came in early great music and musicians i have seen it at least twenty times wish them the best of luck with their ùmusic

3.0 out of 5 stars Not half bad, 21 April 2008
This review is from: Reunion: A Decade Of Solas (Audio CD)
I think I tend to judge all folk type bands by 'Show of Hands' standards, so of course they have a lot to live up to straight away, but Solas are definitely more of Irish influence in their music, so i can't make a direct comparison.
A bonus is the DVD - haven't viewed this yet, so can't comment on the content.
My favourite number is 'On a sea of Fleurs de Lys' and I enjoyed a lot of the other upbeat tunes. Some of the slower numbers really don't appeal, but overall - not a bad album.

Reunion: A Decade Of Solas
Reunion: A Decade Of Solas by Solas (Audio CD - 2006)