on 22 February 2007
I used to have an hp Officejet 6110 and the ink used to last a lot longer than this Canon MP530. I don't know which represents the "norm" as I've only ever owned these two printers, but this one (the Canon) goes through ink super-fast. I think I do a pretty standard amount of printing, and not that much colour printing. It's not as user-friendly as the hp and even my very techy husband has not yet got the incoming fax working (and we've had it a while now). The rest is all fine though, and it does look nice!
on 12 March 2007
I was sent this Multi Function Printer as a replacement for a defective printer. I have now been using it for several months and I feel that this is one of the best printers that Canon have made. It is super quiet, fast, great reproduction on scanning and copying. Fax is a bit of a gimic combined with it, as a private individual I have not used it to date.

The CD/DVD printing is excellent quality (providing you buy decent disks) and I do not find the ink usage excess at all, I do a reasonable amount of printing and using the MP530 with FINEPRINT lengthens the life of them. Really nice to have visble ink cartridges. Well done Canon.
on 13 December 2006
This compact multifunctional has everything (except a USB cable - remember to include a USB 2.0 Device Cable with your order)!
Build quality is excellent and extremely compact - you don't need the sticky-up bit at the back other than as a one-off bypass feeder so it looks neat too.
Despite the daunting diagramatic instructions, it's easy to set up.
Its single-ink system consumption is positively frugal (better than some of Canon's standalone printers).
Printing is quick for an inkjet and very good quality; it's so convenient having an all-in-one for copying and scanning even if you're not likely to use the fax very often.
Good for the money, too. A very nice machine to own.

PS One year on: Canon have confirmed that the printer will use a little ink cleaning the nozzles every time it's switched on. I've been turning it off as I don't use it that often these days; leaving it on standby avoids this constant cleaning. It's your choice depending on how often you print. By the way, at Amazon's price, £74 less than it was in Dec06, it's an absolute bargain!
on 26 April 2008
I like canon very much .. until I bought this printer. The printing is fine, but the printer cartridges have a chip on them that causes endless problems - if you touch the contacts on the cartridge the printer could think that you have the incorrect cartridge in and will not print anything. NB clean them with a tissue makes them work for a while - just very annoying.

With previous canon printers I could use cheap replacements - but these replacements are more trouble than they are worth as you have to move the chip to the replacement cartridge and override the software to fool that there is ink in the cartridge. I never quite got this to work satisfactory, and now use Canon cartridges - but still having problems.

Why has Canon over complicated a simple process?
on 12 March 2008
I bought this printer about 6 months ago and always try and hold off from writing reviews until I have used it a lot so can write something useful to people!

What I can say about this Printer is well done Canon (again) - they seem to be impressing me in all of their products at the moment. This printer does all of its 'multi functions' very well. The actual printing is quick and clear, the photo printing aspect is amazing, I've not had a bad print yet and the ink is dry as soon as it is finished. You can print off an entire album in a matter of minutes.

The printing onto CD/DVD is also a feature I really like and it was something I was looking for when buying the printer. I'm certainly not disappointed with it, (again) very clear and quick and the bundled software is fine to work with.

I've not used the fax machine (didn't think people faxed anymore!) but I use the scanner regularly for both single documents and batch scanning and both are better than I thought they would be. The only slightly annoying thing is the batch scanning sometimes likes to take lots of the paper in at the same time, but not very often.

The ink lasts ages, and considering I am always printing off photo's and CD/DVD's I am amazed at how long it does last, and how cheap (and easy) it is to replace.

If your looking for a scanner/printer/photo printer in one then get this. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because it is rather big and so you will need to think about where to put it. If there was a 4 and a half star rating I'd give it that!
on 22 June 2007
I purchased this printer because it was described as Vista Compatible.

No doubt this is a good printer but Utilities supplied like Presto PageManager and Omnipage SE 4 are not Vista compatible.Presto PageManager is to be upgraded this month to make it Vista Compatible. Nuance.com provided me with download link to upgrade Omnipage SE 4 which does not upgrade the supplied utility.Neither Nuance.com nor Canon are helping me with my dilema.
on 30 March 2007
Generally this appears a good purchase. The print quality for ordinary office documents is very good but I've not printed out any photographs yet. The item is quite large but it looks reasonable. The scanning quality is average (I've had better) and I think the scanning is a little loud but otherwise it's fine. I have not run out of ink yet so I cannot comment on ink costs but they were easy to install. So far no problems!