5.0 out of 5 stars It's about flippin' time!
At last I can update from my grotty old Rank Library VHS.

This film is hilarious. It works on so many levels that even after all these years I spotted a couple of gags I'd not noticed before.

Published on 12 July 2006 by R. A. Caton

3.0 out of 5 stars Where are the rest?
Published on 25 July 2006 by R. Bardell

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about flippin' time!, 12 July 2006
R. A. Caton "Arcaton" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
At last I can update from my grotty old Rank Library VHS.

It's not a silent comedy so much as a comedy without dialogue, and as such it transcends the barriers that mere spoken words can put up. It needs to be seen to be appreciated (looking at Ronnie Barker's crumbling, demented General Futtock reminds me that round about this time he had done "Hark at Barker" on TV as the crumbling and demented Lord Rustless who shares a few details with Futtock!) so I won't try and convey in words what Ronnie Barker and his distinguished colleagues do in seconds with their excellently timed visuals. And make no mistake, we have a cast of veterans here...(is the old artist played by the same Roger Livesey that we saw as "Colonel Blimp" and in "A matter of Life and Death"?). Not comedians, but serious actors, for comedy is a serious business when done to perfection.

The extras aren't up to much; just a commentary by the director, Bob Kellett... but there is a fact related there that I have no qualms about sharing since it surprised me; the house in the film is none other than W S Gilberts house, Grims Dyke! and you should hear how little they hired it for.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Where are the rest?, 25 July 2006
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
The format of Futtocks End is very well described in the other reviews here, and I would only add that this piece, though dated, has retained it's charm and the ability to entertain through the sheer strength of the comic timing of Horden, Barker et al. But Ronnie Barker made two other dialogue-free short films in what could be described as a series. To have put "The Picnic" and "A Day Out" on the dvd would have given a total running time of just over two hours and made a very attractive package. What we actually get here is a missed opportunity and it has resulted in a poor value-for-money product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Silent Short!, 19 Mar 2011
Philip Roberts (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
If like me you are a fan of the great Ronnie Barker you will like this 48 minute short. If you are a general fan of British comedy, perhaps you won't. This is a 48 minute SILENT feature, so you will probably only watch it once or twice. Still, as a Barker fanatic it is nice to have it in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a classic!, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
This is an old film, sound effects, background music and grunts. Still extremely funny, which I didn't expect since I last saw it when I was a child. With the added bonus that now I could understand what the lecherous butler was looking at! What a shame we have to age!

Great film, a real classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 4 Sep 2012
Stephen Bloom "Steve B" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
Hardly a silent movie, the background music is full of grunts and mumbo jumbo talking...the story seems to be about Futtock's relatives coming down for a weekend visit...plus an innocent Japanese tourist who makes the mistake of climbing into the car ferrying the guests to Futtock mansion. The rest of this intriguing story is very Benny Hill, with scantily clad women and carryings on a plenty. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Ronnie Barker., 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
Funny with a hint of 'smut', Typical of Ronnie Barker. Look for a book called 'Sauce' by Ronnie which shows his sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed myself silly!, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
Very funny and I have watched it time after time. I would recommend this DVD to anyone who is a Ronnie Barker fan

1.0 out of 5 stars This was not what was ordered, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
The packaging said Futtucks end but the film itself is 'The 5th Beatle'. I had bought this as a present for an elderly relative so it was a bit awkward.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still funny - and very clever, 31 July 2011
Garry P. Humphreys "garryph" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
I was prompted to get this DVD - and rediscover this amusing film - after visiting Grims Dyke, W S Gilbert's former home at Harrow Weald, where most of the action is located. I did not previously know this, so now it has an added interest. Very cleverly conceived and wonderful characterizations by a distinguished cast: Barker, of course, and particularly the late, great Michael Hordern. I think my reaction is different from 30 years ago, when it first appeared on television, but it's still well worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Futtocks End, 2 Feb 2010
Mr. Michael J. Charman (Mayfield East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] (DVD)
My family and I saw this Ronnie Barker epic when it was first shown on BBC TV. Recently I have been trying to find copies of Ronnie Barker's 3 'silent' films. They were 'By The Sea', 'The Picnic' and 'Futtocks End'. The BBC could not help in locating them but I have now bought all 3 from Amazon. Futtocks End, like the others, is timeless, harmless and immensely funny. With no language involved it can be understood by anyone in the world. Yes, it's a little risque in parts but it has many elements of tried and trusted comedy. We never tired of seeing this film as there was no plot to follow, just a succession of hilarious happenings.
Thank you Amazon for preserving this, and other, classic shows.
Michael Charman

Futtock's End [1969] [DVD]
Futtock's End [1969] [DVD] by Bob Kellett (DVD - 2006)
4.99