5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and great features.
The value for this plasma is amazing. With the 1024x1080 resolution you can watch DVD at the max industry media supported resolution @ 1080 (interlaced). I was amazed at the picture quality and as mentioned by the other reviewer do not let the in-store displays fool you with the poor signal.

I also use somtimes use this plasma for my laptop. I connect with a...
Published on 13 July 2006 by Rick Rosario

3.0 out of 5 stars Up to expectations
Published on 21 Oct 2006 by M. Speakman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and great features., 13 July 2006
This review is from: Philips 42PF5521D- 42" Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV - With Freeview (Electronics)

I also use somtimes use this plasma for my laptop. I connect with a DVI to HDMI cable and it maintains the wide-screen aspect ratio (my previous tvs only supported 4:3 via pc connection) and crystal clear picture. Playing games via my laptop was a great experience and watching movies/music videos.

With DUAL HDMI inputs you can insure you will have the highest quality digital picture. This plasma is Playstation 3 ready which will utilize HDMI.

The sound for this plasma is decent. it incorporates a virtual dolby surround sound. While testing this it does not really compare to a true surround sound (i have a pioneer dcs-360 surround system) but it is still decent for watching movies and watching regular tv. I would recommend investing into a true surround sound if you want the ultimate cinema or gaming experience.

Positive things to point out:

*10,000:1 Contrast ratio

*1024x1080i resolution.

*Dual HDMI inputs.

*Nice big widescreen - clear picture - looks excellent mounted.

*DVDs looks absolutely fantastic

*3ms response time (fantastic for games - no ghosting)

conclusion:

There were alot of plasmas that were more expensive than this one but with lower resolutions and even lower contrast ratio. I am very happy with the purchase of this hdtv.

i bought this tv for £1200 but you could probably find it online for less than that. Comparing this to other plasmas of the same/similar specifications would cost around the £1700+ range.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING PLASMA!!!, 24 Jun 2006
David Healey (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Had this tv only 2 weeks and must say it is amazing!

After shopping around for a 42" plasma for some time i decided on this Philips (partly due to me having Philips tv's for some time without any faults). I was put off slightly when i viewed the tv in currys, comet etc as the picture quality did'nt seem that good, however the shop assistants said this was due to the poor signal which is received in their stores.

To my absolute delight they were correct. The picture is crystal clear (even without a hd signal) & even better on dvd & in my opinion a great price for a quality plasma tv.

In essence if you are considering buying one go for it, i am well pleased with it & the set up is the easiest i've ever come across!

Buy on line, i saved £350 from the high st price of £1500!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good., 7 Nov 2006
Mr. G. Ward "Wardy" (UK) - See all my reviews
I would agree with all the reviews on this Philips T.V. I've had it for just over a month now, and let let me just say 'wow' Its really great to watch, I dont have Sky HD yet but normal Sky looks quite good. My Xbox 360 looks awesome at 1080i. And I've downloaded some HD trailers from the Xbox Live Marketplace, this T.V. really does deliver.

I was dissapointed with the sound from the inbuilt speakers, but its not a problem for me because the telly is connected to my dolby sorround sound system.

If your looking for an HD telly then put this one on the list, good value for money

Picture : 5 stars

Inbult Speakers: 3 stars

Design: 4 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for good price, 12 Jan 2007
R. Affolter - See all my reviews
Can only confirm the previous reviews! Received my TV today and played around with it for a few hours. It looks huge in my living room (seems much bigger than when you see it next to 50inch screens in the shop. Freeview picture quality is great and the functions this TV offers are more than sufficient for an "average" TV-viewer. Picture quality when playing DVD's is just amazing, and also the Playstation 2 looks pretty good on it (I can't wait to see a PS3 game on it).

So for this price it is definitely a good deal at the moment and the quality is definitely good enough to justify this investment! If it wasn't for the bad delivery service from HDNL, I would be even more than 100% happy with this purchase (but since this doesn't affect the product, I give the maximum stars).

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality at a bargain price, 31 May 2007
I bought one of these last month after searching for a while and reading reviews. This TV is great, excellent picture, easy to set up/use, virtual dolby sound works well too. This replaced my 32" CRT Hitachi, it now feels like being in the cinema and the kids are thrilled. A bit annoyed that it is now selling for the amazing price of £685 on Amazon ! I wish I waited a few more weeks, however even at £799 that I paid for it,it is still fantastic value and the TV looks great too - I'm not a fan of the increasingly dominant black cased tv's taking the fore now, the silver surround is aesthetically pleasing.

You can't go wrong with this at that price! 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Up to expectations, 21 Oct 2006
M. Speakman "Mike Speakman" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This Tv delivers what it says on the box. The picture quality is truly excellent. It came well packaged and with a good manual. Set up was straight forward. It is at its best when connected to my home cinema via HDMI. Picture quality is superb. So far I have got it to receive digital TV via its inbuilt box, analogue TV and Sky through my Sky Box. I cant fault it really. Its inbuilt sound is adequate, but you really need the home ceinema for the best experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD picture, good connectivity, 2 Feb 2008
This TV does a great job with both HD and analogue signals. Being a 1080i TV this TV is nearly as good as a 1080p TV but for much less the price. The TV has an S video connection which allows me to connect my laptop seamlessly. The sounds is aso quite good in my opinion and the different viewing settings are always very helpful. The TV can displan pic in pic via its two HDMI inputs but will not do pic in pic for analogue channels. Most TVs in his range won't od pic in pic at all. The TV'sdigital tuner is a good asset, and it has loads of Scart Video and Audio components.

All in all I rate this tv a 4.5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars In yer face, 4 July 2007
T. James "Quasselstrippe" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I read reviews before buying an item 'cos I believe customers more than manufacturers. However, in this instance I should have been more weary because this television does not allow an almost new and rarely used Philips DVD Recorder to be connected to it.
It is such a shame because I was overwhelmed by the beautiful silver/black appearance and wonderful screen view with the amazing colours. I sat open-mouthed for the first five minutes but then disappointment set in when my DVD recorder could not be fitted and however I contact Philips, they refuse to respond so I'm going to have to replace the TV with a more caring brand, such as Panasonic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good screens, 7 Dec 2011
Janice Minton "janice2728" (Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
Bought two of these for hospitality suites. Amazing picture quality, the envy of other suite-holders (a motor racing circuit), great connectivity with loads of sockets, superb for presentations from a laptop and good sound. Can't fault them. Beware though, buy a good wall bracket and have three people to fit it to the wall - they are heavy! Sold one to friends with HD etc and they are absolutely delighted as I was, and hooked on Frozen Planet at the moment!

2.0 out of 5 stars PC Connection Nightmare, 28 July 2007
I own a audio visual business and as such have a pretty good idea about technology etc. I have to say that Philips need to be lined up against the wall and shot for what they have done in describing this product (and others)! Hence 3 major distributors have withdrawn selling Philips Plasma products because of this.
The unit has an excellent HDMI Picture and at a massive 10,000 contrast ratio the image is almoost alive on the HDMI. However Philips state "fully compatiable with personal computers" as you would expect - WRONG - you can connect via the HDMI port using a DVI input but for those of you like me who have VGA it's a big NO NO.
Philips customer services are probably the worst in the world we've dealt with! Every other major brand are at least 10 times better than Philips. In a word forget this Plasma there are better ones are available for the price!