4.0 out of 5 stars Tamron AF 70-300
Published on 27 Feb 2009 by Dr. J. Mccormick

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Thought I'd give Tamron a try - but I wish I hadn't wasted my money. Sharpness is poor at the long end, especially at wider apertures. Macro switch is cludgy to operate. Zoom is counter-intuitive (or maybe I've used too many lenses with the reverse motion). Sony or Sigma in future.
Published on 4 Nov 2008 by TheWongle

4.0 out of 5 stars Tamron AF 70-300, 27 Feb 2009
The lens itself feels pretty good build quality and for the money, the optics are good too. As other reviewers have rightly pointed out, it is a little bit soft at the longer focal lengths (200-300mm), with some noticeable cyan fringe chromatic abberations. Lets face it, for 130 (or there about) you are not going to get top quality optics. If you are on a budget, as I was, you will not be disappointed with this lens. Just dont expect to be able to take razor sharp images at longer focal lengths with the clarity of a high quality apochromatic "pro" lens. In relatively low light conditions, you will find that the lens "hunts" so you have to switch to manual focus occasionally (esp if you stop down to f/8-f/11 to sharpen up at longer focal lengths). It maybe a touch noisy during auto-focusing but not too intrusive. The lens barrel rotates during focus so using circular-polarising filters can be a little troublesome but this can be overcome by focusing then switching to MF and adjusting your filter.

Pro's
Good focal length for mid-range nature photography.
Reasonably fast (f/5.6 at 200-300) for a cheap lens
Sharp under 200mm
Light weight
Good build quality

Con's
slightly soft over 200mm (can be rectified by stopping down to around f/8-f/11) or in CS3 post-production
Some noticable cyan chromatic abberation

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly nice lens, 23 Mar 2009
This lens:
Does NOT win the title for the best image's sharpness.
Does NOT win the title for the best macro quality.
Does win the race for the best ALL in ONE value lens.

I am totally happy with this lens, its cheap and effective. Its not the best out there as i said- you should not expect a supreme lens with this price any way!-.
Its effective, nice photos, good macro feature, and good built quality.
I would recommended to any one who is a beginner -like me- and want to do some practice on different aspects of photography (macro and telephoto)before moving on to the serious part where you have to pay at least double the amount for only one of the previous features.
All in all:
Image quality: 3.75/5
Focusing: 3.5/5 (noisy and slow)
Macro feature: 3.75/5
Value: 5/5

A Pro? well, you should not be looking at this lens any way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value For Money, 4 Feb 2010
K. Pugh (Bristol) - See all my reviews
I have been an avid point and shoot photographer for years, capturing the delights of parties and holidays for my facebook account, but at Christmas I was given a Sony A230 so I could start taking my photography a bit more seriously. I am a big sports fan, so decided to test the camera out at my boyfriend's rugby game. I was delighted with the picture quality, but with the standard lens I could only get good shots when the action was right in front of me. So I decided I needed a zoom lens. As this is only a hobby for me I could not afford to spend mega bucks on it, so searched Amazon and Photo Plus magazine for some advice. This piece of equipment came highly reccommended, and carried a very reasonable price tag. And I must say it did not disappoint. My rugby shots are now improving week on week and are even going to be displayed in the team club house. The other thing I love about having a zoom lens is that people think you are a professional and get out of your way. HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it., 8 May 2010
A. Styles - See all my reviews
I bought this lens as a replacement for the standard 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 Sony kit lens that came with my Sony Alpha 200W DSLR, and I have to say it was worth it.
Although it only has roughly the same specification as the original sony lens, the difference in image quality is noticeable. I take alot of pictures of wildlife and motorsport (not to mention portraits and landscapes, but obviously not with this lens) and I had terrible purple fringing (CA) at 200-300mm particularly in high contrast situations, and I have to say this lens reduced this effect massively. This has improved image quality no end. At 62mm diameter it is also a better light gatherer (the Sony is 55mm dia) which helps to keep the shutter speed up in overcast conditions. In low light the autofocus can struggle and 'hunt' a little, but the Sony lens used to do this anyway and if you set up your autofocus to center spot AF, you should find moving targets are not really a problem. The manual focus ring is decent on this lens unlike some, so manual focus is not difficult when photographing stationary objects if the AF is struggling.
The lens build quality is good for the money, it is a plastic lens but to me I think of the weight saving this brings rather than looking at it as a negative. It's length is also shorter than some which makes it easier to hand hold coupled with its low weight.

If you are after your first telephoto zoom lens or are looking for a replacement for the Sony kit zoom lens and have not got 500 to spend, then I can certainly recommend this lens. It will do the job you want it to in most situations providing you the photographer, do your part of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro for Sony Alpha, 17 Jan 2009
YorkieBen (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Sony/Minolta

The Tamron is a nice and cheap telephoto lens. It is soft over 200mm but then all the lenses in this price range are. Its bokeh is great but the autofocus is good and for the price (I paid 100) it can't be beaten - better than the poor Sony 75-300mm and it doesn't suffer from the build quality problems that the sigma 70-300mm is reputed to suffer from.

I only sold mine as I bought the Sony 70-300mm SSM 'G' lens which is the best 70-300mm for any DSLR - sharp wide open, good build quality etc.

However for the price you can't knock the Tamron.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 25 Nov 2008
Paula Dawn (Leeds, Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
At this price it would be unfair to expect perfection and, admittedly, at the 300mm end at wide apertures it's a bit soft but so are most other brands in this price range. Zooming was a little stiff to start with but soon eased and the macro facility is very good. (What switch kludge?).
Focusing is fast and accurate if just a little noisier than Sony's own brand and it's over 15 cheaper. Only the soft focus at 300mm and slightly higher noise level stops me from giving this lens five stars in this price bracket.

5.0 out of 5 stars great kit, 16 Mar 2010
This lens was great choice for my budget, shame i didnt come to amzon first or would have saved Loads of dosh. the images it gives are great its like any piece of equipment you need to take time to get use to it and take your time with the shots. I use the lenss on my Sony A200 and glad I had Chosen the lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, 8 Aug 2010
J. Richardson (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
Wow, what a cracking lens! I did a lens swap for the day with my girlfriend's brother-in-law, giving him my Sony 50mm portrait lens. I took the 70-300mm to the Mela Festival in Edinburgh and limited myself to this lens for the whole day and I have to say I was well impressed. Even though for a close-range subject you have to move a little further away, the narrow depth of field you get on a bigger zoom is incredible, and also the fact that you can get in so close from so far away was a revolution to someone whose biggest lens to date had been the Sony 18-70mm kit lens. I felt like a proper paparazzo, and you can take some fantastic candid shots without the subject being (too) aware! (All the subjects in my sample images were performers, so there were no issues with invasion of privacy.)

Some other reviewers have talked about image softness at longer focal lengths, but as far as I could see, the colours were rich, vibrant, and very true to life - no complaints from me.

Granted, the auto focus can be a little slow at longer zooms and it's also very noisy which may startle wildlife, but it's still pretty good and the manual focus is very easy to use.

Even though I think I'm going to save my money for the Tamron 18-250mm superzoom, I think that this lens is an absolute pearler for the price. The only thing which puts me off buying this one is having to change lenses when I want a wider angle photograph. It may, however, get to the point where I'm too impatient to save up any longer and just buy this one instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it for what it is, 23 April 2010
Love This lens, it takes some good pictures as you can see from the ones I have uploaded. The only downside to the lens is the auto focus, it loves to go hunting around to find focus and by the time its found the subject you are shooting it may be to late if you use it for wildlife that is, but for big clear subjects it is OK, its also a little bit to noisy. For somebody on a tight budget I highly recommend this lens. Im using it on Sony a200.(which is a fab camera)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top product for the money, 28 Dec 2009
Mr. P. Norman - See all my reviews
Despite the first one going missing in transit, I finally got my hands on the beast at second time of asking. The images appear crisp despite the weight of the lens pulling foward when extended, I guess that's common in all zooms. The motor is hardly quiet, and quite slow, but I suppose you get what you pay for. All in all, a fair lens for a fair price, but definitely one for the beginner/amateur.