5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Beauty
This is one of the wonderful creations that gently seeps into your consciousness without you really noticing it.

I was drawn in initially by the sweeping chorus of Setting Sun, which is a real spine tingler. When you realise that this doesn't appear til track 9 (of 12) it gives a fair indication of the quality that precedes it (and what follows too)...
Published on 8 Sep 2006 by Gorebrook

3.0 out of 5 stars Moody, haunting and uplifting.
Continuing Australia's rich heritage of fascinations with gothic culture, Howling Bells make blissful music with a dark and seamy underbelly. Their self-titled debut - released by Bella Union and produced by Coldplay producer, Ken Nelson - is variably uplifting, moody and haunting.

Opener, The Bell Hit is a gentle indication of the pacific melancholia that...
Published on 18 April 2006 by J. W. Bassett

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Beauty, 8 Sep 2006
Gorebrook (Lytham St Annes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)

The range of possible influences is wide: The Go-Betweens, Throwing Muses, Sundays, PJ Harvey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs have all been previously (understandably) mentioned, but I can also hear the likes of the Rain Parade, All About Eve, The Bad Seeds and even the Cocteau Twins (some of the etherial guitar lines) in there. It's an intoxicating mix with a degree of a throwback to the 80's goth scene, mixed with a little folk, country and some wonderfully infectious and atmospheric chorus lines.

It's fair to say that it's unlikely to leap out and grab you completely on the first listen. I'm on about the tenth now and it's really starting to blow me away.

If you've heard (and liked), Setting Sun, Broken Bones or Wishing Stone on MTV2 or such, then I'd thoroughly recommend the rest. Persevere, it's a very rewarding listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hell's Bells, 29 Dec 2006
J. Morris "A Simple Kid" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
This is a very confident, consistent debut. The female vocals (resembling an evil twin of The Sundays) and the great guitar work are picked out by some very slick production, creating a beguiling album, full of twists and dark corners.

I agree with the comment from Piperboy that "Velvet Girl" should be later on in the track listing, but even so, it's a very good debut. "Setting Sun", "The Night Is Young" and "Low Happening" are standout tracks and this would have been my favourite debut of the year if some lads from Sheffield hadn't gone and brought out a blinding LP.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOWLING BELLS, 27 May 2006
Chas "the Ageing HippyProgRocker!" (WELSHPOOL, Powys United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
Howling Bells. This eponymous debut album is a cracker in my opinion. Superb musicianship, excellent vocals, and a set of very good songs. Nice guitar licks, and definitely spot-on hooks in the lyrics... most notably the chorus of Wishing Stone.

Sometimes Juanita sounds reminiscent of Grace Slick, sometimes a touch Sonja Kristina-ish, sometimes the band makes me think 'Fairport Convention' no matter, she has one helluva good voice, which can swing from the husky, breathy style to gentle melody and raw power.

This CD has really grabbed me, nicely written tunes - but sadly I don't see any of them charting as singles, they're just too good for the 'Top 40'. The album does however deserve to do well in the Albums Chart.

~~~~~ 'nuff said, I think!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent debut, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
Agree with all the comparisons that other's have made and the Bells certainly have woven these into something of their own but surprised nobody yet has mentioned Throwing Muses! Really promising and moving stuff, look forward to whatever comes next

3.0 out of 5 stars Moody, haunting and uplifting., 18 April 2006
J. W. Bassett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)

Opener, The Bell Hit is a gentle indication of the pacific melancholia that follows, and is followed by Velvet Girl, a slightly woozy and casually unsettling pop song, which recalls the inert psychedelia of Sister Lovers-era Big Star.

At the forefront of these opening tracks, and the remainder of the album, are Juanita Stein's astonishing vocals. Comparisons with PJ Harvey, while lazy, aren't too far wide of the mark. Her lilting swoon glides and swoops over almost the entire album, but on Broken Bones, she raises the pitch and completely lets loose. While the track is a somewhat traditional tale of a broken heart ("broken bones may hurt / but a broken heart will never mend."), Stein delivers the words with such power and such conviction that you look past the lyrical shortcomings; it's a trick that Stein repeats on Low Happening, the track with the album's outstanding chorus. As if to prove her versatility, Stein turns down the volume and raises the tenderness on A Ballad For The Bleeding Hearts, a glowing country song.

From the brooding Setting Sun to the almost whimsical, The Night Is Young, Howling Bells offer a stunningly dazed rock n' roll that fans of My Bloody Valentine and Mazzy Star would be well advised to check out at the closest opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
I have been listening to this for a while now and it really has gotten under my skin. 'Setting Sun' in particular is in heavy rotation and great for listening to in the car. I agree with others here: The Sundays and The Cocteau Twins popped into my head too which is certainly no insult. If you like tuneful, indie-pop with great jangly guitars and sweet vocals then give this a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Howling Bells, 31 May 2006
C. Wingrove (Kew, TW9) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this CD. It was something of a whirlwind romance with this band...I saw them supporting the Cooper Temple Clause, and bought a 7" of theirs at the gig. Rarely have a support band caught my attention like this. The songs stuck in my head so much I had to go out and buy this album, suffice to say I wasn't disappointed.

I agree with some of the other reviewers, that PJ Harvey comparisons are lazy, but somewhat apt. Cat Power would also be a name to mention as comparable. As always though, the CD is worth more than the sum of it's comparisons and influences.

The music is windswept and dense, with excellent playing from all musicians, and a great singer. Her voice is clear, and soulful and there is no hint of their Australian-ness in the songs. The standout track for me is Low Happening followed closely by Wishing Stone.

Great packaging too!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a debut!, 13 Jun 2006
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
This is such a wonderfully beautiful debut album. I first heard this album on the NME.COM website and wow am I glad that I clicked on the name!

Together with Juanita's haunting voice and the sublime melodies of the guitars it creates a surreal darkness that accompanies this album. Personally my favorite songs are Low Happening and Setting Sun which the latter is an incredibly moving track that will quite simply touch you. Very hard to believe that they are not well know but more like well kept secret for the enjoyment of a select few.

I have already seen them in concert which again they were impressive, will just have too sit tight until there second album which in no doubt they will release one day in the far future.

This is simply a must buy for any music lover, anyone who buys this will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to live for, 11 May 2006
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
I have been listening to a lot of bands over the past few years searching for something that I could never quite find. I wasn't quite sure what it was that I was looking for but when I heard the howling bells I knew I had found it and not just some of it but all of it. Dark, haunting, brooding yet beautiful this album is the closest thing to perfect i have ever heard. Its an album to live your life to. It reminds me of how I felt when I was a teenager and all the feelings that went along with it.

If there is one album that you must buy this millenium this is the one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Listen again and again., 19 July 2006
This review is from: Howling Bells (Audio CD)
Do not leave this album alone, if you don't like it on the first listen, then listen to it again and then again, all of a sudden it will be the only album you will want to listen to.

My only gripe is that I don't think 'Velvet Girl' should be the second song with its very low, slow beginning, it seems to stall the momentum that 'Bell Hit' initiates.

There are many comparisons, personally I hear echoes of The Sundays within some songs. I think its good that no one seems to be agreeing, perhaps we have a band with a truly distinctive original sound.

Howling Bells
Howling Bells by Howling Bells (Audio CD - 2000)