5.0 out of 5 stars Best in class !
This is a fantastic camera and the 12x zoom is phenomenal. I looked at a number of superzoom cameras including the Panasonic FZ7 and decided that this had the best range of features in its class. I wanted a camera that I could grow with, so the manual features do not dissapoint. The camera also functions well as a simple point and shoot when required with an ultrafast...
Published on 25 May 2006 by Mr. J. Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with digital noise
This camera can take razor sharp superb images, proving your ISO setting is either 80 or 100. Use anything higher than that and you will get digital noise (grainy images). For its class, getting digital noise at ISO settings above 200 is expected, but getting significant digital noise at 200 is disappointing.

Most of the time, I take pictures during daylight...
Published on 24 July 2006 by SharonUK

4.0 out of 5 stars CANON POWERSHOT S£ IS, 19 Jan 2007
L. Greeen "Mr Fab" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Powershot S3 IS Digital Camera[6MP 12 X Optical] (Electronics)
reat Product, well packaged and presented. Ergonomically designed for comfortable use. Battery life is good especially with 2500mAh NiMh.

- Especially poor things: Struggles to focus on maximum zoom in low light conditions

+ Especially good things: Easy to use from the box in auto mode. Offers great flexibility for the advanced user with many modes. Especially like the sports mode for rapid fire shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliably excellant pics, 28 Feb 2008
I have to say I'm extremely happy with the pictures this camera turns out. I take alot of nature shots and they look stunning - and I'm not in any way a pro with a camera!! It takes great close-ups. It's a nice weight to use ie It feels like a camera and not a little matchbox size toy as I find many of the others to be. I have no intention of changing this one anytime soon - I'm certain I made the right choice buying it.
If I were to criticise anything - it should have come with a more extensive manual and a case would have been nice!
Other than that I definately recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars superb camera, 13 Mar 2008
NEIL STUART (KESWICK, CUMBRIA UK) - See all my reviews
I have been using this camera for a few months now and the results are first class. You can point and shoot or use all the "bells and whistles". The zoom is excellent and the Image Stabilisation means that you do not need a tripod. Down-loading images to the computer is trouble-free. It is not too bulky but fits the case snugly so you need to carry spare batteries in your pocket. I am no expert but I have been congratulated on some of my results. Buy this camera with confidence; it even comes with two manuals - simple and advanced.

3.0 out of 5 stars Snap, 23 July 2009
Hmmm - in hindsight i wish i had just gone for a full blown starter DSLR. That was my mistake.

Tbh this is a good little camera that takes nice snaps and has a reasonable amount of options to keep most pick-up and shoot people happy. I didn't really notice too much difference in quality over my Canon Ixus s5.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair digital camera, 14 Feb 2014
Quite a good zoom on this. But the images are quite noisy, as seems to be true still with more recent Canon bridge cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 2 Dec 2012
Still going strong after all these years. Handles light better than my 450D ever did. Takes better aircraft shots than my new SX40 HS (albeit at a lower resolution). Certainly had my moneys worth out of this little beauty...

3.0 out of 5 stars Much has been said..., 23 July 2010
Much has been said about Canon's Powershot S3 IS all of it justified.. Well in my opinion is not half as good as they say! I have many cameras at half the price and a lot better in almost all departments.
I got it just last week and can't get on with it and the pics are not that great, I know a bit about the subject as I do a lot of it for my web site. In short the Fuji Fine pix F70 EXR wins hands down. Cheaper faster more portable and better pics,, Well is only my opinion after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera shame about the software!, 12 Oct 2006
Having decided to replace my Pentax SLR with a digital camera I read the revues and, having decided to buy this camera, I was not dissapointed with my choice. The only disapointment is in the software supplied to download the images. I have a much simpler Fuji finepix camera but the download software is far superior. Using the Canon software I can only look at a picture as a small thumbnail. I can choose to download one image at a time or all images to a single file. This option would then require me to rename and relocate each picture (they are downloaded with a numeric identification), I would have to sort pictures into relevant files containing similar pictures i.e. holiday, landscape, children etc (very time consuming and boring!) Should I choose to download one image at a time the process is very long winded and ends up with the downloaded picture being displayed on the browser which then has to be turned off and the whole process began again for the next photo. The Fuji system is very simple and quick. Point to a picture, click on image and it appears almost full screen for me to decide if it is good enough to keep, click on "save as" and the standard windows dialaogue box appears, enter details of folder and file name, job done! I have discovered that I can use the Fuji software with the Canon so I will ignore the Canon software and the problem is solved. This may seem a minor point but the continual swapping of file locations, changing names, deleting unwanted files etc. tends to fragment a hard drive and a fragmented drive works much slower!

Apart from this technical computer related gripe my results with the camera so far have been excellent and I am very happy with my choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon is3, 15 Nov 2008
I am really pleased with this camera, however the noise after iso 200 is a bit of a pain but can be sorted with some thing like "Neat Image" . outdoors fantastic!! well recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best, 11 Feb 2008
there are some web sites that compare photos taken with different cameras in detail. compare a photo taken by this camera at ISO80, with a photo taken by Fujifilm Finepix s6500fd at ISO400. Supposedly, an ISO400 photo should have much more noise. Then compare an IS100 photo taken by Fujifilm. The results are embarassing for Canon. s6500fd is much cheaper than this camera yet produces photos of much better quality.

Canon Powershot S3 IS Digital Camera[6MP 12 X Optical]