Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 January 2007
I first heard this duo on an episode of Scrubs. After a time searching for the artists and track, the trail ended with this album. I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed. Their songs will appeal to fans of the folk/pop and acoustic genre.

At times they borderline on country sounding, particularly in track "citywide rodeo", but that's only with this track. On the other tracks they mix their folk/acoustic melodies well with beautiful crafted vocal harmonies.

Deb Talan provides most of the lead vocals for this album, while Steve Talan provides largely backing vocals and combines with Deb to create some great harmonies. The exception being "world spins madly on", where Steve takes the lead and creates an infectious track that may have you humming the tune til the end of the day.

They don't try to impress anybody with deep political meaning in their lyrics or overpowering orchestra's, they seem to just enjoy making great and simplistic music.

A well written and crafted album, for those looking for a relaxing sound.
on 18 July 2006
A superb album. Normally I am wary of 5 star reviews on Amazon as they are generally written by avid fans - HOWEVER! Having heard one track once on the Gerry Anderson show on Irish radio, I took a punt on this and it is sensational. It dips into watery student-dom a wee bit but Deb Talan's beautiful vocals and Steve Tannen's complimentary singing style work a treat. Quirky simple songs which stay in your head all day. Can't wait to see them in concert.
on 15 September 2008
A subtle, charming collection of songs from a husband and wife song-writing team with talent to spare. They take turns singing, Deb leading off with the sentimental 'Take it from me', whose quirky opening lines are indicative of what's to come: "what shall I compare you to, a favourite pair of shoes - maybe my bright red boots, if they had wings." Steve takes over on the darker 'World spins madly on' and the skiffle of 'Riga girls', but generally lets his partner have the best tunes. While a couple of songs meander a little, and "Painting by Chagall" might be one clever lyric too far for some, 'Say I am you' is pleasingly understated in its gentle harmonies and simple instrumentation, and no song outstays its welcome.

Bands like this could easily be overlooked as coffeeshop generica, but strong melodies and a keen wit keep The Weepies well ahead of the pack.
on 12 June 2008
I've only just discovered the Weepies and am kicking myself for not knowing about them sooner. Beautiful voices, great lyrics and a few quirky songs to keep you interested right to the last seconds of this amazing record. This is an album for all seasons, you'll be listening to this tucked up in bed during the winter and still be listening when you're chilling out in the sunshine during the summer. Perfect album.
on 28 June 2013
I have an eclectic music collection spanning the 1930s to the present day. However, there are only a few albums which have been played every year, without fail, since purchase. After listening to two of The Weepies albums frequently over the last couple of years, the pleasure is not diminishing, it's growing. As a fan of good melody, thoughtful lyrics and distinctive voices and arrangements - what more could I ask for than possibly another album. These are songs and melodies that make me both sad and happy in equal measure.
I'm surprised that The Weepies are not better known amongst my peers or my children's generation, maybe my grandchildren will discover them in my collection as they grow older.
I thoroughly recommend them to anyone with an iota of romance in their soul.
on 29 July 2013
Its good but not the best I have heard but some good catchy tunes and nice mellow listening. Words a bit cheesy at times.
on 10 March 2015
Very twee. Some of the songs are a bit too sickly sweet for me, but there are a few real gems.
on 8 July 2010
Simple melodies, great vocals. Easy to listen to with great lyrics. A relaxing listen.
on 19 March 2016
I love this album. Reminds me of Simon and gaefunkle.
on 4 April 2015