5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing on Ice is dancetastic
This DVD is the story of dancing on ice so don't expect to buy it and get a DVD full of routines because it's isn't full of routines.

It is basically the story of how it came together and how Torvill and Dean became involved with it. You get to see one full Torvill and Dean routine (the Let me Entertain you one) and clips from some of the other ones...
Published on 11 Mar. 2007 by M. C. Batson

2.0 out of 5 stars Dancing on thin ice
Published on 10 April 2006 by Mrs. L. Best

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Dancing on thin ice, 10 April 2006
Mrs. L. Best "lbest101" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
After thououghly enjoying the Dancing on Ice series my family and I eagerly awated the arrival of the DVD. We wanted to see the routines by the celebrities over again and of course the routines performed by Torvill and Dean. If this is what you are expecting then please do not buy this DVD as it focuses mostly on the background happenings and commentary as opposed to the routines. Listening to the belittling comments from some of the judges and only snips of the routines is not what I was hoping for. The appeal of the series was to see the progress each couple made and this is taken away from the viewer as you do not get to see all the routines, only those selected for you. Even the Bolero at the end is split screened so you have to see the winning 2 routines at the same time. Overall a thouroughly dissapointing DVD. It gets 2 stars however for the addition of Fire and Ice with Torvill and Dean (not for the faint hearted with Christopher Dean's thong at the start) but good fun nevertheless.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm ... OK, not great, very disappointing!, 10 April 2006
T. J. Rolls (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I expected a lot from this DVD, but I was sorely disappointed. The main feature is about 1 1/2 hours long, and barely shows any performances. It is mostly Torville and Dean talking about it, and there are little headings all the way through higlighting the 'story' of the show. One part of the show focuses on Kelly's 'journey' and this takes up a fairly large portion of the DVD compared to other people's parts. When it comes to the final you see Bonnie's flying routine, none of the previous routines they had done, and although you do get to see both Gaynor and Stephan's boleros, they are together, both on the screen at the same time for comparison. It is great first time, but you never get to see them separately and that is very irritating. You do get to see Bonnie's bolero, which is fantastic, but that doesn't make up for the disappointing footage of the others'. The only extra part of the DVD is Torvill and Dean appearing in a show or something, which is lovely and I'm sure appealing to lots of people but I certainly would have preferred behind the scenes gossip or something like that. And after all that, some of the songs they danced to didn't feature on the DVD and were replaced by others. For example the one that David and Pam danced to when Pam fell on her chin was not the song which appeared on TV, but a completely different one, which was something else which made me actually quite annoyed with it.
Overall I think the DVD is a nice little momento of the series but not worth the money, and I would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing on Ice is dancetastic, 11 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)

The stars and Torvill and Dean talk about their journey on the show from training to the actual show itself and is intersperced with clips from the show too so you can mainly just hear their voices whilst clips show on screen.

You also get to see Bonnie's Balero which is good too.

One top of that Fire and Ice is on here, it's a dance show that Torvil and Dean filmed for TV years ago and it shows off their amazing ice dancing skills.

Well worth the money, I loved every second of this DVD and I can't wait until the second one comes out!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice memento, but far too short, 3 April 2006
C. D. Meetens "cdmeetens" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I loved this show, and was really pleased when I heard ITV were releasing a DVD of it. I thought I could see a large selection of the dances I had loved, and watch through all the Torvill and Dean routines, which began the programme each week.
I was wrong.
The "Dancing on Ice" section of the DVD is only 86 minutes long - not much time to fit in 8 weeks worth of programmes that were over an hour each. They have selected a few dances (and I mean a few) to show in their entirety. Otherwise, the dances are merely clips of every dance that week set to anonymous music.
The Torvill and Dean routines are mostly clips as well - a medley, again set to anonymous music. In their entirety are "Let Me Entertain You", and "Bolero". In addition to these, the DVD does contain the entire "Viva Las Vegas" sequence, but not to the same version of the music that was used on the show, so it doesn't quite work.
What is nice is that you relive some of the drama of the show, see great behind-the-scenes interviews, as well as a new interview from Torvill and Dean filmed after the show finished. Also, Bonnie's Bolero, filmed at the dress rehearsal, is included, and is wonderful to watch!
The quality is superb, and the DVD is grouped into sections, making it easier to find what you are looking for, although it still progresses in the order of the show.
As a special feature, the DVD includes "Fire and Ice" - a really beautiful performance by Torvill and Dean previously available on VHS video. While I'm happy to have this, I really feel ITV should have used the 50 minutes "Fire and Ice" takes up to give us more of "Dancing on Ice".
In summary, a great memento of a wonderful show - definitely worth buying. However, just don't expect too much, because, in my opinion, a lot of what made the show wonderful is missing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Dancing on Ice I was expecting!, 6 April 2006
Joy Kluver "joy1970" (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
My 2 small children are besotted with DOI and they pester me daily to watch the clips on the internet. So I thought getting the DVD would be a good idea. Unfortunately it's not what I was expecting.
The DVD tells the story of the programme with commentary by Torvill & Dean and some backstage footage. They focus in costumes, falling over and on certain celebrities such as Kelly & David and the skate-off between John & Stefan. For some unknown reason the music played for Stefan in that particular skate-off is different to what he actually skated to. My 4 year old son spotted that it was a different version of Viva Las Vegas as well. These may seem like small things but they're enough to niggle.
There aren't enough of the performances on this DVD for my liking although it is great to finally see Bonnie's Bolero. Fire and Ice is ok but I would rather have had 50 minutes more of performances from Dancing on Ice.
So will my children stop pestering me to watch DOI online? Well as I've been writing this, my 2 year old came in and said 'Dance ice' so I think the website is going to be on my Favourites list for a while longer!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I found this DVD disappointing. I absolutely loved the series on TV and wanted to see some of the dances all over again, but this DVD shows very few of the dances, its mainly Torvill and Dean talking and shows the same clips over and over again. It seems to be aimed at people who didn't actually see the series on TV.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please try again!, 8 April 2006
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
You can't possibly expect all the routines from the show to be on the dvd, and the skating on the dvd is extremely well edited to show off the techincal ability achieved . . . but to different music! My six year old daughter helpfully suggested that they had forgotten which music went with which. A (very) few routines are shown in their entirety with the music 'as shown on tv'. Some routines have the same music, but a different mix ie:'Viva Las Vegas'. You eventually find some nuggets hidden in the editing ie: 'Black Horse & the Cherry Tree', but nowhere did I find 'Barnum' or 'Mack and Mabel' unadulterated. So the back of the dvd is essentially wrong. Some of the celebrities hardly appear on the dvd, which isn't terribly fair to the amount of effort involved. Yes - there is lots of T&D in conversation - there is ample coverge of the various media fixations - and lots of falling over . . . but 'Mack & Mabel'??!!??!!??! Please can the editor go back and start again!?

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 April 2006
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This DVD was rather disappointing for me.
I was really pleased at the thought of being able to see all of my favourite bits from the TV series again.
Sadly, this wasn't to be. It is mostly a documentary on the series, with the odd full dance routine thrown in. You do get several compilations of the various routines (which don't even have the original music to them). Neither do you see all of the full T&D routines from the shows.
The bonus show on the DVD is NOT Torvill & Dean with the Russian All-stars (something I was looking forward to as I have never seen this show) - it is in fact their Fire & Ice show.
All in all I am extremely glad that I rented this DVD rather than buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Torvill & dean's Dancing on ice, 9 April 2006
c j (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Having watched the weeks run by on itv and seeing the stars of the show perform their skating i was hoping for a great dvd. Unfortunatly their is very little of this on the dvd and it just seems to bounce around the weeks not showing any routines ( think their is probably about 5 on it)but mostly the interviews in between the shows.
This could have been alot better by showing loads of routines and knockouts which if you watched the show you would have been more interested in.
The best thing about this dvd is the belero by bonnie which is good to watch if you havent seen it..
overall a bit disappointed with this..

2.0 out of 5 stars Dancing on Ice featuring Torvill and Dean - sparingly!, 28 April 2006
N. Stocks "Nikki Stocks" (Northampton, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
If you are a Torvill and Dean fan hungry for DVD footage, you will be sorely disappointed.

2 stars for Let me Entertain you and Bolero which we get to see in full, but T and D skated 6 other exclusive routines which have been inexplicably missed off the DVD release.

Yes the celebrities were great but the producers of the DVD fail to grasp that T and D were the main draw on this show... back together after 10 years. It puzzles me as to why they have failed to include their magic in full here.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean  [DVD] [2006]
Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006] by Phillip Schofield (DVD - 2006)