5.0 out of 5 stars 'Systems of Romance - A Retrospective by welbourn TEKH
Whenever I begin to champion this album, I always commence with an apologetic disclaimer and this review will not diverge from that well-trodden path. It must be stated, that the original Ultravox line-up, fronted by John Foxx, bore no resemblance to the later, `Slick' - Viennese-rollers fronted by that chameleon of popular culture - Midge Ure.

When `Systems...
Published on 10 Aug 2006 by Terry Welbourn

3.0 out of 5 stars The best of the three John Fox period albums.
Published on 22 Jan 2001 by ian.fordebates@itcarlow.ie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The best of the three John Fox period albums., 22 Jan 2001
This review is from: Systems of Romance (Audio CD)
I firts bought this album in around 1983 & I wish I could say that it changed my life, but I don't think it did. Of the three albums that Ultravox made with John Fox at the helm this is by far the most polished & well produced. But from this it does loose some of the raw edge of the first two albums. I only have the album on good old fashioned vinyle, & was with out the means to play it for several years. What I can say about this album is that in this time without vinyle, I did miss playing this album, & now nearly 18 years after first buying it I still listen & thouroughly enjoy the intricate lyrics & melodys which are still more than able of stiring many happy memories from my youth. I feel that this album will have the same appeal to a lot of other thirtysomethings who were caught up in the pre "new romantic" era ushered in by bands like Ultravox & people like John Fox.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dress rehearsal for magnificence, 29 Dec 2004
Paul T Horgan (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Systems of Romance (Audio CD)
Ultravox had a problem in the late 1970s. Namely that it had been fromed in the 'consensus' era of the early-to-mid 1970s where there was Glam, Progressive/Art Rock, Pop and Disco. Punk/New Wave washed that all away.
The second problem is that John Foxx cannot sing. He tries to be David Bowie or Bryan Ferry, but he only succeeds in being off-key. The rest of the band compose and play their instruments with skill and verve, but Foxx's vocals drang them down.
Listening to this album *after* Vienna is interesting as you can see the direction of the music. But important things had to happen first, namely Foxx leaving and being replaced by someone who could sing and also wider acceptance of synthesizers and style after the stripped-back punk era.
The production qualities on the album are a shadow of its successors. Conny Plank must have upgraded his studio in the intervening period.
I am at a loss as to the praise heaped on Foxx in his Ultravox years and solo career thereafter. In my mind he is the weakest link.
Buy this album if you are interested in the prehistory of the 'golden age' of Ultravox or are a completist.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Systems Of Romance
Systems Of Romance by Ultravox (Audio CD - 2006)