5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous historical drama
Films about Elizabeth I are hardly thin on the ground, but this one is something special, driven by a mesmerising performance from Helen Mirren and a taut, intelligent script. The drama plays out in the second half of Elizabeth's reign, which makes for drama just as dramatic as her early years.
Mirren approaches the Virgin Queen as part coquette, part dominatrix,...
Published on 10 April 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars The childish Queen
All in all I found the film quite well. But for me, there is one major drawback.
After having already seen Helen Mirren as Elizabeth II, I was very disappointed with her portrayal of Elizabeth I.
I can not imagine that a country could have been ruled so successful by a Queen either wailing, crying or behaving like a pubescent 14 year old the whole day through.
Published on 31 Mar 2011 by Markyta

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Cate Blanchets Golden Age!, 21 Mar 2008
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
This is miles ahead of the cate blanchett version. With Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons as the main cast, acting in the golden age of elizabeth I's reign. With a supurb script and cast list AND! historic acuracy!! (which must be stressed with films portraying hisory!) you cant go wrong.

If i could choose either Elizabeth I Golden Age or this it would be this without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vivid, Colourful and Moving Performance From A Brilliant Actress, 27 July 2007
J. Roberts "Jinny" (Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
Helen Mirren's performance is stunning in this, cementing her position as one of Britain's most charismatic and versatile actors. This film charts the life of another impressive woman, Elizabeth the first, during various tumultuous stages of her life.

What is particularly brilliant about this film is the way in which Mirren so convincingly shows the anguish and difficulty of Elizabeth the First's reign, in an age where Monarchs had purpose, strength and challenging lives. The most convincing part of Elizabeth's struggle which Mirren has perfected is Elizabeth's dilemma when it came to balancing business and pleasure, or more specifically, balancing the greater good of the country with her sexuality and desires. This is part of what makes this film so fascinating and potent - for every women has the same dilemma in life, and at some point in her life, finds that logic and sexuality cannot always co-exist in perfect harmony. Being the nigh on perfect actress that she is, Mirren encapsulates this battle between business and pleasure with convincing aplomb.

Elizabeth's various (apparently unconsummated) relationships with various men, including the Earl Of Leicester, are detailed here, as is her unique and impressive ability to reign supreme over all men, keeping them all in check and reverent to her impressive, assured authority.

In portraying a unique and inspiring woman, Mirren absolutely dazzles, and truly brings the Elizabeth of the history books back to life, in order for viewers to investigate and celebrate the life of one of history's most impressive leaders.

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't compare to the Tudors, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
After having watched the Tudors boxset, we were up for some more flms set in the same era.
But we didn't find the story very gripping unfortunately.

As for the order of the DVD, everything went smoothly and it arrived on time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boooring...., 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
Well Im going against the trend of reviews here. Im a great fan of Elizabethan dramas and frankly found this version boring me to tears. Actually had there been any tears it may have good sign ie bring out some emotion in me but it didnt, hardly stirred me, unlike the Cate Blanchet version expecially the first. So called gory scenes, not even that stirred me.

Basically your being shown 2 episodes, 1 on Earl of Leicester coupled with Anjou the 'frog' and the other one that pansy Earl of Essex, both supposed romances of the Queen. Is this what 40 years of Gloriana was all about? I very much doubt it. And to see Helen Mirren's great acting talent relegated to flimsical plays of romance and swoonings of a Queen..........give me a break - bruddy boring! I am being generous with 2 stars here. In the end you will have to judge it for yourself and at the price why not. Just dont expect too much based on good reviews here.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa476fdc8)

Elizabeth I [DVD]
Elizabeth I [DVD] by Tom Hooper (DVD - 2006)
4.98