5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous historical drama
Films about Elizabeth I are hardly thin on the ground, but this one is something special, driven by a mesmerising performance from Helen Mirren and a taut, intelligent script. The drama plays out in the second half of Elizabeth's reign, which makes for drama just as dramatic as her early years.
Mirren approaches the Virgin Queen as part coquette, part dominatrix,...
Published on 10 April 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed production
I should like to comment first on the positive aspects of this 240-minute two-parter on the life of Elizabeth I in her later years. Helen Mirren gives us a fine, gutsy performance and a worthy interpretation of one of our most famous and wilful monarchs. Like many I have grown up seeing Helen in a wide variety of roles and she always adds something special to any part she...
Published on 29 Oct 2006 by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars The childish Queen, 31 Mar 2011
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
All in all I found the film quite well. But for me, there is one major drawback.
After having already seen Helen Mirren as Elizabeth II, I was very disappointed with her portrayal of Elizabeth I.
I can not imagine that a country could have been ruled so successful by a Queen either wailing, crying or behaving like a pubescent 14 year old the whole day through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helen's 'Elizabeth', 11 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
Although, the DVD has not been released yet,I saw the two part drama, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The focus on the later part of her life was interesting.
Helen Mirren, Jeromy Irons, played their roles superbly. Helen Mirren gave a very interesting contrasting 'Elizabeth' to Glenda Jackson's portrayal. I enjoyed them both, however, the drama gave one of many updated perspective on the subject of 'Elizabeth' produced quite recently, which I enjoyed the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all 'Elizabeth I' Fans!!, 7 Feb 2007
S. Reid "superstu86" (Essex, UK England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
This was a masive hit here in UK, it won the golden Globes too!! It was a fantasic performance of the monarch who has fascinated us for centeries. Helen Mirren played her like no other. This version plays on the 'other side' that we never got to understand of Elizabeth, her relationships! We get an insight into her mind and can sympathise with her. You must watch this if your a fan of the Elizabethan period.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too bloody, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
The actors are excellent, however I was chocked by some of the bloody scenes which according to me did not need to be showned in this way. Very different from the other Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett. This film is much more darker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth I, 27 Nov 2009
Amy (Home Counties, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
After viewing many times the two DVDs about Elizabeth played by Cate Blanchet I wondered why I recollected another actress playing this part. So I checked online at Amazon and realised it was Helen Mirren and ordered this DVD from Amazon straight away. I was so delighted with viewing this DVD as it covered a period in the life of Elizabeth, in her later years leading up to her death, that was so in need of being shown on a DVD. I would really recommend this version to everyone interested in this subject as Helen Mirren gives a rare quality of drama in this story of an aging queen that is often ignored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beth la poignante, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
Helen Mirren n'est malheureusement pas assez connue en France : elle est so british, terriblement, mais si remarquable ! Bien que le "sujet" ait été régulièrement et savoureusement incarné par les plus grandes, comme un "morceau imposé", elle donne ici dans le rōle d'Elisabeth, les failles imperceptibles d'une femme déjà mūrissante, extraordinairement passionnée, ardente à la fois de fraicheur amoureuse et de devoir politique dévorant.
Ceux qui l'ont adorée pour sa justesse émouvante auprès du très grand N. Hawthorne dans "la folie de Georges III", retrouveront les infinies nuances de son jeu dans sa relation avec l'exceptionnel J. Irons - magnifique charmeur vrai, encore et toujours -, très bien secondé dans cette aventure, par H. Dancy dont la belle jeunesse craquante met en valeur les masques blancs de la reine.
Magnifique interprétation qui résiste à toute critique, dans une mise en scène historique juste et suffisamment discrète pour justement mettre totalement en relief le talent des acteurs : les splendides P. Malahide, I. McDiarmid et T. Jones. Quel casting !
Tom Hooper rend ce film plein de finesses incontournable : un très excellent moment à renouveler sans modération pour apprécier les infinis détails de chaque scène...Un très grand plaisir.J'y retourne immédiatement...

4.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed this dvd, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this dvd. Once you watch this dvd you will agree that it deserved all the awards it received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen is better than Cate, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
I actually have already seen it . I think Helen Mirren is far better in the role than Cate Blanchette .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good series, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
This was a good series of the later life of Elizabeth I, overall it was a good interesting series. And may be of interest to those interested in the early modern period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helen at her best as Elizabeth., 9 May 2011
This review is from: Elizabeth I [DVD] (DVD)
As usual Helen Mirren is excellent.
She has played both Queen Elizabehts and has become both those people. She gives a totally different portrayal that no-one has done before her, and extends her acting ability to extremes.
An excellent purchase.

Elizabeth I [DVD]
Elizabeth I [DVD] by Tom Hooper (DVD - 2006)