4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Watch, Great Functions, Frustrating Alarm
Published on 7 Jan 2009 by Simon-E

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch but its only jewlrey
Whilst it looks rough and tough (Titanium case, 200m water resistant, sports styling etc.) it isn't. Mine was dropped less than 2 feet by my 2 year old daughter. Citizen claim it can't be dropped, not even that far or it won't work and it isn't covered by the guarantee. Rubbish. I've had many (much less expensive) watches that have coped with far rougher treatment than...
Published on 27 July 2009 by R. Scriven

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Watch, Great Functions, Frustrating Alarm, 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Watch #BL5250-02L (Watch)
I have received this watch as a birthday present, although it was bought online elsewhere. It is not too big, light weight and feels natural on the wrist. The leather strap appears strong and is good quality. The rotating bezel works smoothly and there is no slack in it. The dials are easy to read, the chronograph function being especially easy to use. The second hand does stop when conditions are dark - but probably so dark that you wouldn't be looking at it anyway. The perpetual calendar makes setting the date every month a thing of the past, and the local-time is great for British Summer Time.
The reason I have given this watch 4 stars and not 5, is the alarm. The alarm is about the same volume as most digital watches I have owned which is not an issue. The problem is setting the alarm. When you switch the mode to alarm, the hands move to show the previous alarm time. Each full rotation of the minute hand takes about 6 to 8 seconds. So before you can set the new alarm time you have to wait for both hands to move, which could take up to about a minute. And whilst the hands are moving you have to wait....
Overall its a lovely watch, but you will find the alarm on your phone quicker to set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 12 Nov 2008
Good all round watch, solid construction, good size, lightweight, dial easy to read. Alarm is pretty quiet, and the power reserve feature means that the second hand doesn't move in the dark (the luminous hour minute hands are visible quite clearly though).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch I'd definitely recommend, 18 May 2011
B. Griffin (UK) - See all my reviews
I carried out a lot of research before deciding to buy this watch and tried a lot of different watches out in various shops before buying this from Amazon. Personally, with purchases like these where I want to hold the product and try it out, I always prefer to buy it from a shop in person. But as the shop in question wouldn't budge on price and were 60 more expensive than Amazon at the time, it was a no-brainer to buy from Amazon again (also check up on the best prices as I've seen the price vary wildly in the space of a few months).

The watch itself looks as good as the photo's you can see online, if not better. I've seen a few photos of the watch face that seem to vary in colour from black to almost being a royal blue. I'm not sure if there are variances in colour from earlier/later batches, but I can confirm that mine bought in the summer of 2010 is a very very dark blue.

The strap is a solid, high quality leather strap that hasn't shown any signs of wear and tear, or discolouration from the few times that it has been exposed to water (although it's waterproof, I generally take it off when exposed to water). The watch body and controls are all solid with a quality feel to them, although you do need to take the watch off in order to switch between modes (ie. time, chrono, alarm setting etc).

And of course, there's the big list of features! The eco drive watch doesn't require winding or movement to keep it going, all it needs is some light, which for me is a great plus point as many watches I've had in the past required minor maintenance to keep them going (especially when they can be left in a drawer for weeks at a time). The other main feature that I love is the date feature. It not only keeps track of the day of the month, but the full date, including leap-year details, so you don't have to alter your watch every other month, or even every 4 years when February decides to over-extend its welcome (nb. I've not tested the leap year feature yet, but I'm sure it will work as intended come February 2012 :)

There are probably hundreds of other watches out there that do the same job as this one, but I challenge anyone to match all these features with the build quality, great looks and price!

Positives:
Accurate time keeper, solid feel without being too heavy, quality build and finish, great set of features, easy to use, fantastic looking and all at a very reasonable price.

Negatives:
The leather strap (as with all leather straps that I've experienced) is starting to show some wear marks around the buckle hole. This watch would get 5 stars if Citizen used a bracelet style clip for their leather straps, similar to the one you can see on the Tissot PRC 200 (leather strap) watch. The only other negative is needing to take the watch off to alter settings/modes, but this isn't a big problem for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great eco drive watch with many features!, 3 Oct 2011
First of all i must say, that this is my first Citizen watch, and my first Quarz watch for a long time (prefer automatic and handwinding). But i am completely satisfied! It has a ecxellent Value for the money. Show me another Watch that combines all that features for less:

-solar movement
-titanium case
-200 m water resistance (like a "full" diver watch!)
-unidirctional bezel with a lume-dot on "12" position
-Second time zone
-chronograph
-alarm timer
-perpetual calendar
-shows warning if power is low
-very long power reserve
-very good and long lume of hands, markers and numbers

It needs a little bit of reading the manual to get familar to all the functions, but its quite easy for a average watch-enthusiast;-).
You can find on various sites on the Internet that the dial is dark blue. In fact it's not, it is Black! But Totalisators refelcting the light a bit in Dark Blue. That is caused by the solar cells that can be seen through the totalisators, which are dark Blue!
I must admit that the bezel is not mat, it's polished. If you prefer a mat bezel buy this watch with titanium band.
In General the Watch is very well made and the leather band is very nice and easy to wear. But i have changed the band for a NATO-Strap, to give the watch a more "toolish" appereance. But if you like a dressy looking watch, the leather band is perfect!
Thanks to Amazon for the fast delivery to Germany (This watch is not available in Germany)!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice watch with some issues, 23 Feb 2012
Hi,

I just bought this watch from Amazon.uk and it was a painless, fast transaction. Delivery was promised within 3 days (for my birthday). I had my doubts but the parcel did arrive even one day earlier. A very recommendable service!

For the last 25 years or so I had a Seiko Quartz Chronograph watch, which I liked a lot. However, in general terms I was sometimes pissed off with the quartz technology requiring a change of the battery about every 2 years. On 3 occasions the battery died on me when it was most inconvenient: on a tropical island, on a camping trip or in a city on Friday afternoon, when all the watchmakers had closed down for the weekend. On each of these occasions I had to do without the watch for a couple of days. I thought a new technology will eventually free me of this nuisance. I kept watching the development of Citizen's Eco Drive but for many years I didn't like their styling. Then my trusted Seiko started to fail and a repair would not have been economical. So I took a fresh look at alternatives. "Never need to change batteries", a nice chrono design and positive reviews by other buyers helped to make up my mind to buy this new watch.

After a few days' experience I have to say, the watch looks even better in real life than in pictures. It is light, agreeable to wear, will not destroy my shirts' cuffs since there are no sharp edges on the housing and in spite of the crowded dial the hands are easy to see.

What I don't like: to measure an interval in chrono mode you have to switch specifically to that mode which is best done taking the watch off your arm. My old Seiko just needed the push of a button to start measuring, no switching of operating modes. Then, the manual says "your watch needs inspection once in every two or three years...". In my Seiko the battery change every 2 years cost about 8 or 10,- each time and it was done in 10 minutes. On these occasions the watch used to be checked visually if all was well. It never needed anything else than batteries for about 25 years. I called the Citizen service center to find out about this recommended periodic inspection (where no battery change will occur, of course): 60,- and it will take about 2 weeks. Not an attractive proposition at all! Eventually I found out that this service consists of changing the seals so water resistance is maintained and charging the battery (the latter you can do at home for free).

This is like buying an ink-jet printer at a reasonable price and then spend regularly a considerable amount on the cartridges. So I keep wondering if after all the Eco-Drive is making my life easier or is it a pain-in-the-you-know-where.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!!, 5 Jan 2009
Xmas present. Quite pleased, lightweight, looks and feels great. Alarm is weak though..barely audible. Dont let that put you off though..the quality and price make it a great bargain!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch!, 25 Aug 2012
Excellent watch, the best looking of the Eco-Drive as far as I'm concerned (I don't care for bracelets). I was looking at the Seiko Kinetic range, but was advised to have the Seiko serviced every year/18 months at a cost 90% of the watch by a Seiko service agent. The chronograph is a good feature but the jewel (no pun intended) in the crown is the perpetual calendar. The rotating bezel is superfluous in a non ISO 6425 watch, and I don't dive.
Be aware this watch is of the e82 movement that needs the crown to be pulled out to position 1 to change mode.
Buy it.
You won't regret it.

Note:

The 5 year warranty is a bonus.
This watch has been discontinued in Ireland, (still available in the UK Thank you J. D. Mason for this info). Snap one up before they go.

Dev.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch with slightly complicated settings, 25 Oct 2011
Quite impressed with the look & feel of the watch. The only sore point is the complicated settings sequence. Build quality is good but the outer rotating dial is slightly loose which raises a few question marks. Overall pretty satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Watch, 30 Dec 2009
Mr. Damian Bryant (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I love big watches and wanted to buy another watch for work and for wearing out. I currently have a Breitling Navitimer, Mont Blanc Timewalker and TAG watch. When I saw this watch I loved the look of it. I was put off because of a 1 star review, however, having looked at the Citizen Calibre 2100, I felt this looked so much better. I ordered it yesterday and it arrived at 7.45am.. Woke the children but it was worth it! All I can say is I love it. The images on the internet dont do it justice. It is a nice sized watch, it is big and will certainly be noticed! Its not heavy, but at the same time oozes quality. If you are thinking of getting this watch, (and I love watches), then trust me and buy this. You wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful pilot watch, 17 Jun 2014
The only disadvantages: the instructions leaflet needs actualisation and the titanium bezel is too shiny. The watch has a great wrist presence and is one of my favourites in my rotation

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›