5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
Published on 18 Sept. 2006 by Kay Scarlet

3.0 out of 5 stars Bold, but slightly disappointing.
The woman is quite barmy. Endearingly so. But what people tend to dismiss, or ignore altogether, is that fact that in a world filled with by-the-numbers pop by pretty faces Shakira is not content to follow the path well-trodden. No, she wants to come up with something unique. Until now, this attitude has been watered down for her "English" releases, but now,...
Published on 27 Mar. 2006 by IWFIcon

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol.2 (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Shakira since her hit Whenever, Wherever hit the charts. I bought this album after hearing Hips don't lie and La Tortura. I loved both songs, and I generally love Shakira's music, so I purchased it. I love this album. There is only one song on it that I dislike (day and time) because its a replica of a spanish version on her oral cd 1...whichI had already. I can listen to the album all the way through. Illegal is a sad sounding song...its a little haunting and is beautiful.

How do you do questions the existance of god...which is why it was banned in some countries. But it makes you really think.

Animal City and Hey you are both lively, great tracks. I didnt originally like costume makes the clown, but after a few listens I loved it. Shakira's voice sounds beautiful on almost every track and I truly recommend the album.

All I would say is that there isn't so much belly dancing themed stuff on here... but its still just as catchy. I do miss the belly dance element though, being a belly dancer myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shakira's best album of her career !, 12 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol.2 (Audio CD)
On this album she has decided to go back to her "Rock Chick" roots which she displayed in her Pre-Whenever, Wherever days on her spanish speaking albums. This is evident on her "Donde Estan Los Ladrones" album.

Also she has always had a firm grip on other genres of music which she has included on this non- album filler cd.

This re-release is some what dissapointing considering most fans have to buy this to gain the two exclusive songs:

1. Hips Don't Lie.

(The biggest hit of Shakira's career to date- considering it's been number 1 almost everywhere including the USA- sometimes it has revisited the top spot more than once, and has even made the biggest leaps in the charts)

2. La Tortura ALTERNATIVE VERSION,

This version has Shakira singing its chorus in English and Alejandro in spanish.

(Also a "MASSIVE" hit in Spanish speaking countries, orginally off Oral Fixation Volume One!)

This is truly the best Shakira Album ever, and equally enjoying as Volume 1!!

Track by track:

1. How do you do 10/10- Great hooky chorus, a Stadium Rocker.

2. Illegal 9/10- Santana's guitar work, fanastic lyrics, ballad in the same vein as "Underneath your clothes" but maturer.

3. Hips don't lie 10/10- Latin meets the Caribbean, Trumpet riffs.

4. Animal City 8/10- Traditional Spanish mixed with electric guitars and mexican trumpets and EVEN howling wolves.

5. Don't bother 10/10- One of my most favourites, everyone's heard it.

6. The day and the time 8/10- English version of "Dia especial" off Oral Fixation Vol 1. Reminds me of the band "The Magic Numbers" one of their mid-tempo songs!

7. Dreams for plans 10/10- Mid paced calm, sunday morning songs to relax to! warm and delicate!

8. Hey you 10/10- One word the "INTRO!!!" incredible, the quirky lyrics, the slighty punky music blended in with a chorus similar to something on a broadway musical!!

9. Your embrace 9/10- Lovely music and lyrics

10.Costume makes the clown 10/10- The best rock moment on this cd!! Led zeppy music, and some more of those quirky lyrics!!

11.Something 5/10- The english version to "En Pupilas" from Oral Fixation volume 1, i prefer the spanish version. A 60's-ish sounding french song.

12.Timor 8/10- sounds like a 80's Disco song

13.La tortura (alt. version)

Get the fuller picture and get Vol. 1, it's a Spanish Masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very impressive album., 25 Mar. 2006
David Wood "dwood2001" (South Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol 2 (Audio CD)
I have so much respect for Shakira as an artist, as a musician. So many these days don't write their own songs, and those that do pander to what's popular. Shakira continues to go her own way with this album. Like her last she proves once again that she can and will write songs in any style she likes, with any instruments; she clearly writes music for herself as much as others, because she loves it. That's what art should be.

Once again she utilises instruments from around the world, but the style is somewhat different to the previous album. What she seems to do is have variations in style throughout each album, but still retain a general character for the album as a whole. This has a character which is distinct from the last: it's much more guitar based, and tends more towards light rock song structures. It's also more upbeat and fast paced than the last album. A move such as that could so easily have made it more mainstream in style, but it still has her flavour and still has a Latin/Spanish twist.

As usual her lyrics are unique and interesting. Her instrumentation is at times inspired, though not as varied as the last album. Every song has a great melody which sticks in your head without ever being repetitive or annoying. She once again spends time using the voice in more unusual ways, this time experimenting with non-tonal vocals amongst other things.

To say that her voice isn't the best out there, that there are artists in pop with better voices is extremely critical. Yet that's the only criticism I could give- something which of course is totally out of her control. I'd sooner listen to Shakira's varied and interesting work than more polished voices any day.

A brilliant album, not to be missed by anyone, especially a musician that's lost faith in popular music. Albums such as these show that there is true musical talent out there, even in the realm of pop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there a 4 and a half star option...?, 23 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol.2 (Audio CD)
Formerly a passing fan of Shakira, I only really got into the Colombian temptresses music with the Fijacion Oral, Vol 1. CD which, although sung in a language that I do not and will probably never understand, is simply excellent. As a result, I bought previous albums, including her first English work Laundry Service, complete with the primo pop song Whenever Wherever and the superb Donde Estan Los Ladrones?

Naturally, I was eager to listen to Oral Fixation Volume Two, even though I was rather underwhelmed by first offering Don't Bother. The release and and subsequent global success of Hips Don't Lie has since tempted me back to it and listening to the album with the benefit of a killer song like that is certainly useful.

Ultimately, there doesn't seem to be an all-round song that will likely deliver a second number one, but with a better grasp of English compared to Laundry Service, with exception to the rather curious album title, Oral Fixation is a confident release.

As for potential follow-ups to Hips Don't Lie, I would be intrigued should the bizarre, electro-pop Timor is released - corny, but deliciously captivating, it is a song that demands to be listened to, whether it is loved or loathed. Indeed, there is no middle ground for a song like this.

Costume Makes The Clown or Something would also be interesting releases, although ultimately I would kill for an English version of the superb La Tortura, arguably my fave Shakira tune yet. The Beatles-esque Hey You and aggressive Animal City are also an acquired taste, but Shakira's rather quirky image prevents them from sounding as out of place as they would anywhere else.

The only reason why I don't give the album the full five stars is the rather soppy offerings Illegal and The Day and The Time, which do little for me, but they are nonetheless beatifully written and sung.

A curious but ultimately satisfying mixture of Latin, pop and soul makes this album well worth a listen, even if just for Hips Don't Lie or La Tortura.

5.0 out of 5 stars An oral fixation that will have you begging for more, 29 Nov. 2005
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol.2 (Audio CD)
No-one can accuse Shakira (real name Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll) of being a run of the mill Latin pop artiste. Her voice can be picked out from across a room, and those dance moves – you’d have to be visually impaired not to notice her.
There’s a reason for her popularity, and in this English language follow up to Fijacíon Oral Vol.1 (June 2005), she proves that she can keep her English-speaking fan base happy too.
Dramatically starting off with a choral rendition of a section of “The Lord’s Prayer”, “How Do You Do” is definitely one to watch, and first single “Don’t Bother” is about losing a lover to an admittedly better woman in all areas but one.
“I’m sure she doesn’t know
How to touch you like I would
I beat her at that one good
Don’t you think so?”
Chock full of great songs, she follows up the first two songs with “Illegal” featuring Carlos Santana, and “The Day and the Time” with Gustavo Cerati. “Animal City” and “Dreams for Plans” are also good, “Hey You” is a bundle of retro fun, and then she turns down the pace for “Your Embrace” and “Something”. Just to make sure you know your rest break is over after the last few songs, she hits you with the dance track “Timor” as a grande finale.
This is an oral fixation that will have you begging for more.
Amanda Richards, November 29, 2005

4.0 out of 5 stars What a voice, what a talent, 17 Jun. 2008
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol 2 (Audio CD)
I've had this album since it first came out but it's only now that I've put any thoughts about it here for others to read. It's my only Shakira CD and yes, I wish it had included My Hips Don't Lie but there's plenty of compensation, not least 'Illegal' featuring the unmistakable support of Carlos Santana, one of the greatest guitarists who has ever lived. Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll has a very mature and distinctive voice for one so young (28 when this album came out) and of course although she's a national heroine in her native Colombia she is now a global superstar, being the 6th most successful artist so far for the last decade, in terms of single sales. It's not hard to see why. This album is not pop music as we know it, it's in a class above and it will, I'm sure, stand the test of time that so many other pop artists fail to achieve once the novelty has worn off. No, Oral Fixation stands that test - three years on it's as good if not better and I'm very glad I added it to my collection. Favourite songs: 'Animal City' and 'Dreams for Plans' (just)

5.0 out of 5 stars You can still get hips dont lie!, 17 May 2006
J. Haigh (jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol 2 (Audio CD)
Dont worry! go to shakira.com if you purchased this album without the hips dont lie single and you can download it for free!

I bought both vol 1 and vol 2 shakira albums when I was in Buenos Aires and they are both fantastic! I recommend the spanish album (vol 1) as I think she sings better in her native language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shakira's English Return!!!, 20 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol 2 (Audio CD)
Oral Fixation Vol.2 is Shakira's first english album since Laundry Service in 2002. If you liked Laundry Service, chances are you'll like this. Oral Fixation is in very much the same stlye as Laundry Service with it's funky-pop-rock songs such as Animal City, Don't Bother and Costume Makes The Clown. There is also more versatility on this album from the pop-dance of Timor to the Beatles-esque Hey You. Whereas not as good as her previous album Fijacion Oral Vol.1, Oral Fixation is still an excellent album!!!
Best Tracks:
1. Costume Makes The Clown
2. Hey You
3. Your Embrace
4. How Do You Do
5. Dreams For Plans

4.0 out of 5 stars !!Be Careful!! This version does not include Hips Don't Lie!, 29 April 2006
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol 2 (Audio CD)
I was very disappointed to find out only when I recieved the album that is does not include the incredible Hips Don't Lie. But other than that it is an incredible CD! Fell instantly in love with the other tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars In True [English] Shakira Stylee...., 17 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol 2 (Audio CD)
I thought that 'Oral Fijacion vol. 1' was excellent... my spanish is pretty rusty but i got most of it... Vol. 2 however blew me away.. After having imported my copy from USA I am pleased to say this collection of works is impeccible... the songs are well constructed and sung beautifully. Also as shakira has said in the past, her songs rely heavily on her "female intuition and feminine artistic licence" as always its all here and does not disappoint... I Love It!

Oral Fixation Vol.2
Oral Fixation Vol.2 by Shakira (Audio CD - 2006)