4.0 out of 5 stars Zero 7 - The Garden
Published on 19 Aug 2007 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Split down the middle
This new album has really split opinions, and I have to say that I'm not too sure either.

The Zero 7 boys have compiled The Garden on a Somerset farm and, on first listen, you'll think that the local scrumpy was rather stronger than they thought (being a Zummerzet man, I know the feeling).

The swirling strings and coherent melodies of the first two...
Published on 5 July 2006 by Musical Gee

4.0 out of 5 stars Zero 7 - The Garden, 19 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Garden: Limited Edition (Audio CD)
The third album by Zero 7 moves in a different direction from the 2 Albums that preceded it. Whilst still showcasing the electronic sounds that popularized the band, here the main focus is on the acoustic guitars and on the vocals of Jose Gonzales and Sia. This gives the music a summery quality, and you almost feel the album has a Summer Garden Music concept about it.

Unfortunately, The Garden is not as engaging a listen as Simple Things. Where it is let down is on the instrumental tracks. Seeing things, Left Behind, and Your place lack the addictiveness of Polaris or Likufanele, that made Simple Things a great listen all the way through.

However, you should not disregard "The Garden" because of this. There are Gems to be found on this album. Throw it all away, Crosses, and This Fine social scene are fine pieces of songwriting, and display the potential that may come from this band expanding on their sound. The Garden is definitely worthwhile listen, but be prepared for a slightly different listening experience.

(NB: "Special Edition" refers to its digipak packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop listening...., 10 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
It's taken me a while to get round to writing this, but felt I had to applaud this outstanding effort by Zero 7. As others have mentioned, this is very different to Simple Things and When It Falls - the influence of Jose Gonzalez definitely comes in, and Sia's voice is tested in different ways (and she does magnificently, as always). Yes, it took a couple of listens to 'get it' but now, I am a woman obsessed. Favourite tracks would be Futures, You're My Flame and Fine Social Scene. Track 3 "Seeing Things" reminds me a bit of the theme tune from a 70s educational science video!!!

Anyway, go and buy it, give it a chance if you've been hooked on Z7's 'old' style - and then let it all become very clear how brilliant this is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Split down the middle, 5 July 2006
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)

The swirling strings and coherent melodies of the first two albums have been replaced by a heady, folk influenced mix of the good, the bad and the odd. An example of this is Futures, which starts as a gorgeous, mellow track, and then descends into a complex mess of knob twiddling on the mixing desk.

Having said all that, Sia's vocals are as superb as ever, and the album is still worth buying. If you loved the earlier albums, give it several listens because some of the tracks will eventually eat into your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better every time you hear it, 26 Jun 2006
Br Pace (University of Warwick UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
The third album from Zero 7 after the two brilliant albums When it falls and Simple Things. The first time that I heard When it Falls I wasn't blown away, and then I listened to it again and then again and again and again and came to love every track, similarly with Simple Things only one track immediately stood out (destiny) and then I became addicted to the other tracks as well after a couple of listenings. When I heard The Garden for the first time I started to think "oh god they've gone experimental and what I loved has gone!" but just like the previous albums after listening a few more times I find myself adoring The Garden's quirkiness combined with the old zero 7 themes. As always Sia's soulful tunes blow you away, particuarly with You're my Flame on The Garden and Gonzalez's Crosses. This album is now constantly being listened to and like the old albums I don't see myself getting tired of it. Stand out tracks include: You're my Flame, Crosses, This Fine Social Scene, Seeing Things, Waiting to die, Pageant of the Bizarre and Throw it all away. (I came close to naming every single track). I have fallen in love with this album and only wish that I could have seen them live :( , I hope you love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different. Different Can Mean Better..., 4 Oct 2006
B. Gaskell "Media Lover" (Near Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
This album may be far from the delights of prior releases, however change can be a good thing. Mostly this isn't true, yet with Zero 7 it is. I was lucky enough to catch them in Liverpool performing at the top of their game after having this album and repeat for days beforehand. Songs that stand out? Everybody seems to applaud 'Futures', although I'm quite partial to 'This Fine Social Scene', with bouncy melodic bass and ultra swave vocals. I have to hand it to the group for, in my personal opinion, outdoing themselves. Well done! I would recommend this album to anyone who enjoyed 'Simple Things' and is open minded to the direction of the genre, after all, everybody would complain if it was too similar. Can't win in this world!

By the way, Zero 7 are even better Live with so much energy it's like they were 'in hailing thrills through twenty dollar bills...'

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely grows on you in a big way, 14 May 2006
E. Park (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
The first time I listened I was disappointed, being a huge fan of Simple Things and When It Falls. Second time around I still wasn't sure, but decided to keep trying. Third time I thought it was great. Now I love it.

If you don't mind the fact that they don't have any of the girls singing the slow ones (like Home, Destiny, In Time, Waiting Line) you'll love it after a few listens. Particularly good are Throw it all away and Pageant of the Bizarre.

I guess pretty much anything Zero 7 touch is going to be great.

5.0 out of 5 stars zero 7 spread their wings, 19 July 2006
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
The range of opinion in these reviews is very interesting. I've been a zero 7 fan for a few years now, and am very impressed with their latest offering.

This really shows zero 7 at their best i think, trying a few new things out, but still remaining very true to their original sound. It definitely has a more folky feel in parts, but the introduction of more instruments to the mix just helps create a stronger sense of the music, whereas on the second album i felt sometimes it all just merged into a big floaty mess, albeit a very nice sounding one.

Tracks such as this fine social scene and pageant of the bizarre stick out for their great lyrics and melodies for me, but each song on this album offers something new, different, and always a pleasure to listen to.

Keep it up guys!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better every time you listen to it!, 24 May 2006
D. Martin (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
As some of the other reviews have said, when listening to this album for the first time is mildly dissapointing until that distinct Zero 7 feel kicks in.

I bought this album on impulse as I had only ever listned to a few Zero 7 tunes in the past and loved them all, this is just so easy on the ears. I think it actually makes Jose Gonzales sound better than he did on his last album. Throw It All Away in particular is great and is probably up there with Zero 7's vest. Overall this is not just easy on the ears but a treat for them as well, I would hugely recomend this. I liked it so much I've ordered the first 2 albums already!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it ever was, 17 April 2006
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
Zero 7 have always been firm favourites of mine. Their first album was sublime, and the second album equally so.

This third album takes a little longer to grow on you, but is of an equal calibre and still has that true Zero 7 flavour.

The inclusion of Jose Gonzales on a few of the tracks fits in nicely with the whole vibe.

High spots for me - Fine Social Scene and Crosses.

I'm not going to give too much away but suffice to say Zero 7 fans will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality !, 11 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
Having really liked the previous two albums by Zero 7, I foolishly held back from buying their third, due mainly to negative reviews both here and in the general media. But eventually I gave in ( as I knew I must ) and have got to say, it's up to the same standard as the others. Yes, it's different, a more folky and organic feel to it, even a little AOR in places, maybe they've been listening to Fleetwood Mac ! But generally, it's quality, and that's what you expect from Zero 7.

The Garden: Limited Edition
The Garden: Limited Edition by Zero 7 (Audio CD - 2006)