5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest cyclist of all time

It's ok
Published 10 months ago by JASPER

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest cyclist of all time, 25 Aug. 2007
Mr. T. Rees (West Mids England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddy Merckx - Legends Of The Tour De France (2 Disc) [DVD] (DVD)
I think it was in the summer of '72 when I first heard of Eddy Merckx. I was 14 or 15 and I remember a schoolmate telling me that Eddy Merckx, who he had heard was the greatest cyclist ever, filed the paint off his bikes to make them lighter. Obviously this wasn't true (although I think it was in 1972 when he started drilling holes in some of his Campagnolo equipment - e.g the brakes!) but it was the sort of tale which added to the mystique of a sport hardly reported in the UK in those days. I joined a cycling club in the beginning of 1974 and immediately started buying Cycling magazine every week. The Paris Nice stage race was the first big event on the calendar and Eddy Merckx made it onto the cover. I also bought back issues of International Cycle Sport, their annual books on the Tour and Giro and their series of biographies. I would read and re-read these and pore over the photos. At last, with the release of this DVD, I am able to see my boyhood heroes in action on the routes of those Tours.

The DVD covers the period from Merckx's first participation in 1969 to his last in 1977. The two years in this period when he didn't compete are also covered briefly. I don't know how much footage is available of the Tour in this period but the DVDs last about 1hr 50min covering nine Tours so given the time constraints there is probably enough included. Generally it focusses on the significant moments of each Tour. Much of it is black and white but that is to be expected. I didn't notice any factual inaccuracies in the narration (which made a change!) and the interviews with Merckx, Poulidor, Thevenet, Zoetemelk and Van Impe were illuminating.

This is one of the few DVDs I have watched which did not leave me feeling slightly disappointed and I consider it fully merits 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD poor background music, 30 May 2013
Enjoyed all the footage, although it does seem a bit rushed in places. I would have liked to see some of the footage which I already have on another DVD of Eddy's bike production after his retirement.
Don't understand why there needs to be two discs when there is only 50 minutes on each. The biggest drawback is the use of subtitles which you have to concentrate on and means you miss so much of the picture, fortunately most is interviews.
The background music is annoying especially as the volume is well above the narrative which it is slotted in between.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bio that conveys the drama and excitement of Merckx's career, 8 May 2009
As a fairly detailed review of this product has already been provided I will keep my thoughts short and merely supplement what has already been said.

I was unsure whether or not to buy this DVD initially. I had previously watched another DVD in the same series covering great Italian riders of the Tour de France. Though the coverage of Marco Pantani in that DVD was excellent, I found the rest of it rather disappointing - the race footage was very limited and too much of the DVD was subtitled interviews.

I was slightly worried that the Merckx DVD may be more of the same. Fortunately that is not the case. There is plenty of excellent race coverage that properly creates the atmosphere that surrounded Merckx's achievements and makes this great viewing. Thankfully the interviews augment rather than detract from the coverage.

Overall this has persuaded me that it is worth trying the French riders DVD in the same series. I hope it is as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddy Merckx, 17 Aug. 2013
I really enjoyed this documentary, even the background music - although the volume difference between the narrative and the music is a bit irksome. I purchased this without being thorough enough is my research. This dvd is also included in the 6-dvd "gift set". The difference being that the 102 minute film is on one disc rather than arbitrarily split onto two, and the case is different (standard cheap black plastic). So for a similar price you get five more films (or three if you don't care about L. A.) hence more value for your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Mar. 2013