5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good
I received my IXUS 800 IS and Selphy CP710 printer the day before going on holiday so I had little time to experiment before putting them to use.

Published on 4 Jun. 2006 by matsw

2.0 out of 5 stars Upsetting
The camera has been very useful and reliable for the past 7 months or so, good photos and the IS system is extremely useful especially when taking night time shots without a flash! HOWEVER i have had a constant problem with the lens, sometimes it would not retract and sometimes it would, sometimes it would not come out, and sometimes it would. Now having had it for not...
Published on 30 Dec. 2007 by S. Foy

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 4 Jun. 2006
matsw (Woking, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews

My previous camera was a Casio EX Z4, which produced excellent photos in bright sunlight but tended to produce grainy images with a purple fringe around foreground subjects in low light. Whilst the Z4 was reported to have a fast start up and shutter response time, it was hard to capture action shots. With the Z4, I would say that 25% of the pictures were poorly focused.

I waited for the IXUS 800 IS to come out as a number of my friends and familty have other IXUS models, ranging from the 50 to the 750 and all found them to be high-quality cameras that produced good results. I was told by a camera shop that the Image Stabiliser was worth waiting for to improve the sharpness of action shots, shots using the zoom and shots in low light, and so addresses many of the concerns I had with the Z4. They were right!

I took 134 pictures on holiday. I need not worry about not having time to experiment as the camera is very simple to use, either with its point-and-shoot option, the pre-sets or the manual mode. Only two of the pictures were less sharp than I would like - both being action shots of the kids in the pool with the evening sun. Some of the pictures taken with a flash are a little dark, which I think were using the zoom, so to be expected. The shots taken at the maximum 4x zoom in daylight were as sharp and clear as the ones with no zoom. The low light shots are all clear with no fringe or ghosting around the foreground subjects. All in all I'm very impressed with the ease of use and the quality of the images in all conditions.

When I returned home, I printed a selection of the pictures on the CP710 directly from the camera onto 10x15cm Canon photo paper. The prints looked sharper than the same prints from my HP Photosmart 7960 printer on HP Premium Plus Photo paper but the colour was not as bright. Shots taken on the beach in bright sunshine looked like they were taken on a dull day in comparrison. I then printed the same images from my PC to the CP710. The prints were much brighter than the prints made directly from the camera and thus overall superior to the HP 7960 (which has 8 colours of ink and many more DPI than the 3 colours and the 300 DPI of the CP710). I have sent a question off to Canon Support to ask if there is any way of improving the brightness from the camera and I await their reply. [Update - Canon did reply but their response did not really help, so I always print from my PC, which is not a problem.]

The only other downside of the camera I can think of is that it does not have a battery power level indicator, so there is no way of telling how much power is left when you leave home. This is not a major problem so long as the battery is put on charge every few days.

Overall, both the camera and printer are proving to be an excellent buy so far. Roll on the next holiday!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Ixus 800 Digital Camera, 29 Sept. 2006
Amazon Customer (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
I am not a camera expert, far from it. However, I have recently succeeded in gaining a free Ixus 800 via the digital freepay company.

I am overwhelmed by the quality of the product and have already taken many photos I would not have taken previously. This particular camera makes me look like a true professional!

The colours are great, the pictures very clear and the movies also are of excellent quality.

One tiny downside is the memory size. Only 16mb came with the camera. Useless. I purchased a 2 GB memory from Moby Memory and have ample space to click forever!

The software to download to my computer is supreme and fast. The instructions clear and easy to understand.

The camera weight seems to be an issue for some. I find it just right. I was afraid of a light camera moving when I pressed the picture button. This is just that little bit weightier and gives great control.

Fits in my pocket easily. It is small.

Brilliant and recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars CANON IXUS 800 IS + Advanced manual., 4 Sept. 2006
This is a great camera. Not exactly as small as my previous PENTAX S4i, but the quality of pictures and video is outstanding. Even my wife (the non gadget type)is impressed. A shame as she and my daughter now have taken over this little gem.

Just one thing was annoying. No ADVANCED MANUAL was included in the box. According to AMAZON's efficient helpline something that has happend before. They kindly offered a complete replacement. This is not necessary as you can download ALL manuals in PDF from the CANON USA website. Don't go to the CO.UK as it will link to a site that charges. Free CANON PDF manuals are at [...] Follow the link to CONSUMER. BTW the IXUS 800IS is identical to the PowerShot SD700 IS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marked improvement over IXUS 750, 22 Jun. 2006
So what goes on, the IXUS 750 was 7.1 Mega pixels and the new IXUS 800IS is only 6.0!? Well don't worry about it, the key to the previous sentence is the "IS" the image stabilisation system. The good and the bad.

The Good

Stunning sharpness of the pictures compared to the IXUS 750. The 7.1 mega pixels was great with the 750, but the real problem was trying to take advantage of them without a tripod. Not so with the 800IS, every available pixel is exploited even without a tripod. The major problem with the 750 was blur, as with most compact digital cameras today. It is fine having 7.1 Mp but if you can't use them due to blur then they are useless. I found, even with extensive experimentation (ISO levels, AiAF, AF, ways of bracing the camera, etc), that on average 1 in 5 pics with the 750 would be blurred free handheld. My partner, who has the steady hand of someone who could defuse bombs or carry out brain surgery, could manage 2 in 5 blur free. The blur would become even worse if the zoom was used. The 800IS on the other hand manages 9 out of 10 shots blur free. In addition you can make full use of the increase in zoom range (x4), when handheld. You can even take blur free macro shots one handed at full reach with ease. OK I'll stop banging on about that now.

The battery life of the 800 is much improved over the previous model.

It is ever so slightly smaller and lighter, and I do mean slightly.

The resolution of the LCD has been upped to a reasonable level now, which was a failing on the previous model.

The ISO range has been increased but this is really of limited use (see the bad).

Improved macro range. The macro mode is now quite stunning for a compact camera allowing you to take sharp shots from 2 cm handheld. Again the IS allows the use of telephoto macro mode as close as 40 cm without a tripod.

As before, the My Colors feature allows you to play with contrast, saturation, sharpness and colour balance to some degree.

The few manual adjustment allowed are very useful for acquiring the shots you want in difficult conditions. Although as always with the IXUS range more manual adjustments would be nice (e.g. aperture/shutter speed priority).

Continuous shoot mode speed is excellent (as 750), with a little over a second to wait between shots with a fast SD card.

Button placement and function is generally fine, but be careful not to place a finger over the flash.

In short, it is a very easy camera to take very good quality snaps with.

The Bad

The extended ISO range is nice but noisy at the high end. So yes, you can have faster shutter speeds in low light condition but the noise your pics will gain, at the ISO800 setting, may not make it worth it. (The image stabilisation probably helps more with usable low light shot than the increase in ISO range). Having said this, if you are happy to spend time post processing to remove the noise from the shot, you may find the high ISO settings are useful.

On the noise front, I can't point at any specific evidence but I got the impression the fully automatic mode tended toward using higher ISO settings than the 750 model. So the low light pics seem a light noisier than the IXUS 750 produced when fully automatic, but I could be imagining it. You can always select the ISO in manual mode though.

The flash is not as strong as the previous models, which can take a little getting use to. It is however good enough, 3m instead of 5m say. Still reasonable compared to competitors though.

There is, as before, a little chromatic aberration (purple fringing). The 750 and 800 seem to handle it in slightly different ways though. This may be due to the sensor chips involved or the different optics or both. The 800 seems to be better in high contrast situations and worse in low contrast situation.

There is some barrel distortion in wide angle macro mode. Worse that the 750 but then the range of the macro is better, 2cm (800) compared to 5cm (750).

As with the IXUS 750 I feel the landscape shots could be a little sharper, but a mainly automatic compact camera can only do so much.

Red eye is a problem but can be remove post processing.

To round up.

If you are a mega pixel fanatic and just can't cope with the thought of a loss of 1.1 Mp, think about the following. Will you miss the 1.1 mega pixels of the IXUS 750? Well if you love to carry a tripod with you every where you go perhaps. However, the point of a compact camera is it is compact, which tripods are not. To be honest it is very hard to see the difference in pixels between the 750 and 800 when you zoom in on a shot. This is probably due in part to the x4 zoom compared to the old x3 in shots when using telephoto. However, even without the extra zoom the 800 would be the better option because there is no point in having 7.1 Mp if you can't take easy advantage of them. I'll take a 6.0 Mp shot over a blurred 7.1 Mp shot any day. In the end, I think the x4 zoom covers any short fall in Mp anyway.

The image stabilisation system is a major improvement over the previous model allowing you to take full advantage of the cameras abilities, even taking into account the reduction in mega pixels.

Is it worth the extra money? Oh yes! Will I happily live with this as my compact camera? Certainly!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little camera, 23 Dec. 2006
A. Stasiak "Mr DC" (Darlington, UK) - See all my reviews
I can not fault this camera on the whole..i've discovered 1 issue and thats all. Red eye reduction...no diffrent from any other camera I've owned.

Everything else is exactly what it says..I dont have very steady hands and often blur pictures just by trying to hold the camera still.. Something this camera has no problem with.

There was a previous review saying their was no way to connect the camera to a tripod. Something that very nearly put me off..I'm glad to say this is incorrect. or at least Cannon have added the option since that review.

Honestly..If you wan high quality pics without buying a top end camera there is no better choice than this..It took me several cameras to get to this one.

Added bonous is the video quality...Shockingly good with audio for what it being nothing more than a digital camera!

Oh and its dead easy to use..didnt even need to open the manual!

4.0 out of 5 stars a fine beast, just one problem..., 25 Sept. 2006
read all the other reviews to find out how absolutely brilliant this camera is, but unfortunately i seem to be cursed when it comes to the IXUS 800. it arrived, and of course it was a work of art and did everything and more than i wanted. but when it came to the video, which was also brilliantly detailed and fine quality, i noticed a problem. there was an underlying buzz, like the sound that a TV makes when its on a wrong channel like 0. i transphered the videos i had taken to the computer, played them through various different programs, took more videos but with different settings...but it seemed the noise was unavoidable. i sent it back, thinking that a second camera would surely be working well. the next camera i recieved had the same fault. iv trauled hundreds of reviews off the internet and each says the video sound is excellent and clear, so this must be a one off but twice in a row is a bit coincidental. its not like its a little, slightly annoying buzz, its really loud and there is no way that they could produce a camera that makes such a noise so i think i just was unlucky.

===> so im taking off a star for that, but otherwize the camera is a dream (apart from the spindly wheel also)

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty much perfect..., 21 Mar. 2007
... especially for the money. I've not a lot to add to the other reviews. I'm a semi-pro photographer and usually use a Nikon D80, but wanted a tiddly, pocketable camera to carry all the time. This my third IXUS, the previous two - a 500 and a 40 (I don't understand Canon's number branding) were both damaged by dropping etc, but both gave excellent service. This one, however, is a big leap forward - especially the image stabilizer which means you can get acceptable images, handheld at up to one second exposure - even with full zoom! The lens is good as well, with the added benefit of 4x optical zoom - the purple fringeing of earlier models is all but gone, but the smooth bright colour rendition remains. Even the ergonomics are good, which is quite an achievement on such a small camera - the controls fall under your fingers, and although they are small they are not difficult to use

So much to like and so little to criticise - I'm really looking forward to carrying this around all the time - it simply begs to be used.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing camera, 19 Sept. 2006
Jane Morgan (Retford, Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This purchase has been worth it's weight in gold. Firstly the size of the camera is brilliant, much smaller than I expected and yet dispite this the functions and buttons were so easy to use and for an amateur like me so easy to understand. The camera is light weight and small enough to put in a handbag, a pocket or in a carrying case and easy enough to take anywhere. It looks smart and slick and has a LCD display that is better than any I have used before. And then there is the little extras that you do not expect but are there as an extra treat. For example if you take a picture with the camera on its side and then view it through the LCD screen, turn the camera back on its side and it gives you a full LCD display. The icing on the cake was that the battery lasted a full 2 weeks, no having to change batteries or put the camera on charge every night. I took almost 200 photographs, viewed them a number of times and still no low battery warning.

I am generally a point and click photographer but I am looking forward to testing out some of the advanced features over the coming months. I highly recommend this camera - A++++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars ComPact with features, 8 May 2006
M. Bishop (UK) - See all my reviews
I've been in the market for a new Ixus for over a year now. The 700 arrived, it looked fantastic, but the purple fringing problems put me off. Then came the 750, much improved, but still not a big enough jump to convince me. The low resolution screen made it feel like Canon were getting there, but hadn't quite yet.

Then the 800 turned up and what a difference six months make. Now we have image stabilisation, an improved lens system and higher resolution screen. Yes, it's six megapixels and not seven, but who really prints to A3 on a regular basis? I certainly don't, so six is just dandy.

It was hard to appreciate just what a good job Canon's IS systems does until I got the 800 side by side with a 750. Obviously you can push it too far, but it gives up long after the 750 does. The screen is beautifully crisp, though it may still be susceptible to scratching, only time will tell. I've noticed no purple fringing yet, apparently due to the new lens.

All in all, very impressed. It feels finished, which I cannot say about the 700 and 750 models.

5.0 out of 5 stars chance buy, 24 Oct. 2006
P. Bungard "velofellow" (nr. London) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera in a rush before setting off for the foothills of the himmalyas. because of this I did not have time to learn how to use all the various settings. I charged up the battery, fitted a 1gig card and off I went. It was fantastic, I took everything in auto mode, lots with flash, and everyone with me was admiring the quality of the pictures. It was easy to use in basic auto mode and I took nearly 500 pictures and the battery still hasn't been re-charged!!! I can't wait to learn how to use it properly!! For three weeks this little beauty lived in my breast pocket of a shirt, ready for action. I upgraded from an earlier canon ixus and am so pleased. The 4 x optical takes care of most general situations, I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Canon IXUS 800 IS Digital Camera [6MP 4 X Optical]