5.0 out of 5 stars The star of the EF-S range
I bought this when I had my 400D and it was the reason that I didn't go full frame when I upgraded. So it sits on a 40D now and I love it. The IS system is useful when hand held at it's maximum, and the optics don't let it down at all. If you have a 400 or 40 series using EF-S lenses then your kit is not complete without one.
Published on 2 Oct 2008 by T. Caulton

2.0 out of 5 stars Far from being a "quality feel smooth action" zoom control !
I purchased this lens from Amazon just before Christmas, give them their due, it arrived on time for the 25th, so well done Amazon and the postal services. I had spent ages reading all the great reviews this lens has, before deciding to buy what I thought, should be a great quality lens. However I was so disappointed when I took it out of the box and operated the zoom...
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by Royboy

5.0 out of 5 stars The star of the EF-S range, 2 Oct 2008
T. Caulton "Big Tel" (Staffordshire UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, fast and ultra reliable, 22 April 2010
A. Johnson "ARJ Photography" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this lens!

In a nutshell it feels top quality (would you expect less from Canon), it handles nicely - nice wide zoom ring, and well placed focusing ring and all the buttons are intuitively placed. The picture quality is superb - it's super quick focusing and top build quality make it incredibly sharp even wide open (NOT as sharp as the 24-70L as some reviews would have you believe though).

I am a wedding photographer and have read other reviews which describe it as the 'perfect wedding zoom' and I'd agree. At the 17mm end it's wide enough for impactful wide shots of inside churches and venues, or larger groups, and the 55mm end is perfect for closer shots, details and nice tight crops. (I also use the 70-200, and I don't find that I 'miss' the 55-70mm range)

I use this lens on a 40D and a 50D.

The only reason I've not given it five stars is that it's not supplied with a case or a lens hood. You have to buy these separately taking it closer to the price of the 24-70L but the 24mm end of that lens isn't wide enough on an APS-C camera in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont let the price put you off, 22 Nov 2008
This review is from: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
A truly exceptional item.
I've had this about a year now and it's hardly ever off the camera. Almost all of my other lenses now languish unloved at the bottom of my bag.
Canon make an "L" series of "pro" lenses and the only reason this doesn't get assigned an "L" designation is a plastic lens barrel and the fact that (apparently) Pro-s don't go for this focal range. Other than that it's pro-spec (with a price to match). Oh, and of course the fact that it's an "S" (short back), which means it's designed to be more compact and as such will only fit onto those camera bodies with a reduced size sensor (400d / 40d/ 50d etc and not the "full frame" models that pro's lug around).
Don't overlook the value of that fixed f2.8 across the range with the image stabilisation. With this you can pretty much dump your flash guns as well! It also focuses fast and silently (I forgot just how until I cleaned-off one of my older lenses recently).
If Canon made a 50-200 of the same quality and price range as this you could put all your other lenses on ebay as you wouldn't need anything else. I WAS going to knock half a star off for the weight (yeah it's a brick) but then again......so is my 40d so they do tend to balance.
Highly recommended. You will have to add another 25 quid though for a decent lens hood as for some reason Canon scrimp there and don't give you one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Lens. Shame about the build aquality., 25 Oct 2011
C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
Let's start at the top: why 4 stars?

I bought this lens in 2009, and fourteen moths down the line it seized up: wouldn't zoom below around 35mm. after a lot of struggle, I returned it to Canon who fixed it, and charged me £120 for the privilege, as it was two months out of warranty. It has to be said they were very quick (return in four days)but even so. On the forums, I see this is a well-reported problem with this lens - it can suck in dust through the front element. (I don't shoot in the desert or on the beach, and always have a UV or polarising filter on the lens.)

Now you might be asking - why not much lower than 4 stars?

Quite frankly, this is a BRILLIANT lens in terms of image quality. I have some L glass, but this outperforms much of the L series. Yes, really.

Don't just take my word for it. Bob Atkins ([...]) lists the best Canon EOS lens, and this is the only EF-S lens in the top 20 (at number 17 currently) with a score of 9.6/10. Neither of my Ls score more than 9 - and I'm very happy with them.

This is my "go-to" lens. When walking (touring in GB, France, Spain, Germany, South Africa...) it's my most used lens by some distance. Often it's the only lens I take.

The range is ideal for general photography (for me, mostly landscape, architecture and general.) It's equivalent to just wider than 28mm to 88mm for a full-frame/35mm camera. And as 2.8, it's fast.

The IS works well too: I have no problem hand-holding down to 1/10th of a second - or slower with a good support to brace against.

Remember, of course, it's EF-S so won't fit a full-frame camera (such as the 5D and 1D series.)

And remember - it's a Canon, so no case, and no lens hood. Cheapskates. You'll need a lens hood, of course, as this is a wide lens.

So, if you're shooting with a crop body and can afford the lens, buy it. But I'd also buy a SquareDeal type insurance to extend cover to three years. ANd when it arrives, check the zoom action. If it's not TOTALLY smooth, or seems to stick a little, send it back.

Noting my "negative" points - build-quality, no lens hood, cost me an arm and a leg to repair - then you'll see my 4 stars mean that I still love this lens: you can't argue with image quality, clarity, brightness and VERY low distortion. But make sure you have a backup if you're off on a big trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, justifies its price, 15 Nov 2008
Mr. Ian Harvey (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I'm currently using this with my EOS 350D, replacing a Canon 28-105 f3.5/4.5 USM zoom. That lens was itself a worthwhile improvement to the kit lens, but this is on a different plane altogether. Particular highlights include:

* Low light performance - IS really works, coupled with f/2.8 max aperture it's outstanding.
* Sharp pictures! Details are just beautiful, my 350D's 'only' 8 Mpixels are definitely the limiting factor now. The absence of any noticeable chromatic aberration makes a big difference too.
* Fast and (most importantly) accurate AF. Noticeably better than the 28-105, and a world away from non-USM lenses.

I find I'm not missing the extra telephoto range of the 28-105, and that 55mm is adequate. I'm not even going to complain about the relatively large size and weight of the lens - certainly it's not so bulky as to make it hard to hand-hold the camera.

The only possible caveat is that - like all EF-S lenses - it doesn't work on Canon's high-end full-frame sensor digital cameras, or older 35mm film cameras.

Otherwise - if you can afford it, go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only lens for an aps-c, 10 Oct 2013
S. Haresign "Styve" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I bought a 60D and didnt really have the budget for another lens. My it lens was the 18-55. Which is fine. But I thought I would really like some good glass.
The camera is worthy of putting a better lens on and surely it improves your photography?
I beleive it does, to a point.
I initially got the red ring syndrome, especially as I have a bit of a collection of EOS cameras, namely the 60D then a 3 and a 30E etc.
So for me an L lens would have been 'versatile', but the price?
After doing various trawlings on the net, I came across this lens which is not widely known, generally, and I guess because its a crop lens.
However, I took the plunge, also got a lens hood for it, although you dont have to have one.
Have to say, its excellent, weighty, but as others have said, will probably stay on the camera.
DOF is so much more controllable with a lens like this, have those extra few stops makes all the difference especially zoomed.
Also the IS along with changable ISO on a digital makes this lens useful any time and certainly a walkabout lens.
OK so i cant use it on my 3 or 30e but I have those sizes covered and I guess I wont be buy an L lens for those film cameras, I got over my red ring obsession when I got this lens.
I put a Hoya on it to 'protect it' I guess there is various debates about those. I intend, if I am doing some serious on tripod stuff, I will take it off. But knockign about with the kids out and about, it stays on.
I did some 100% crop stuff and to my eyes they are faultless and quite imoressive. I got a shot with one of oil diffusers in, you know the one with sticks in, when I zoomed in the crop you could see the fibres of the wood, like hairs sticking out, wow a different world.
77mm is also nice big size to step you up into the pro world of filters and cokin rings to add to your kit.
If I remember there was one wide shot with the built in flash where there was a bit of shadow from the top of the lens in the shot, but this is geneally not going to be an issue. I mean who buys a lens like this and takes wide shots with the built in flash??
It does feel very nice, goes long when zoomed out and doesnt fall when pointing down.
If it means anything, generally people would give you respect and allow you to push in at those weddings when everyone flocks to the side of the pro for the same shot.
There have been some reports on the net about the top lens getting dust under from zooming in and out and sucking dust in, but thats remains to be seen and it is possible to remove the top element DIY.
All in all though if you dithering, go for it, you will like it

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewel in the Crown..., 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I have been a proud owner of this highly impressive lens for more than 2 years now. It is an excellent all-rounder; the top performer with no equivalent in the EF-S type lens category or in offerings from third party manufacturers. It is to EF-S what 24-70 f/2.8 L is to EF.

After I started using the 70-200mm L lens, I felt dissatisfied with the quality of images I got from the standard kit lens, something which I realised upon comparison. Even stopping down (till f/8) wasn't helping. Most of the times I go out shooting, the standard zoom range is what I need for a walkaround lens. So considering the importance of a standard zoom range lens, I decided to upgrade my kit lens and started looking for options. I compared 17-40mm f/4 L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. Reading so many reviews immensely commending the 17-55mm, I decided to take the plunge.

When I opened the box and held the lens for the first time, I was taken back by the weight. It felt heavy so my initial opinion wasn't encouraging. But everything changed when I took a snap with it. It is very fast and sharp!!! As days went by, I felt comfortable with the weight of the lens and it no more matters to me. The lens is very convenient to hold and use.

The asthetic as well as performance characteristics of this lens is really top notch. Though constructed with plastic, it doesn't feel cheap like the standard kit lens. Colors are rendered well in terms of tone and saturation. Sharpness is the key strength of this lens even at the widest aperture. The standard kit lens, even if stopped down, cannot match this lens at its widest aperture (some would deny it but I have pixel-peeped the images for comparison). Stopping down this lens improves the sharpness a bit more, and the best part of doing so is the reduction in vignetting and chromatic aberrations. 3 stop IS coupled with a constant wide f/2.8 aperture makes this lens a blazing fast one. Use of polsariser filters in poorly lit situations is not an issue.

If you have no immediate plan to upgrade to a full frame sensor body, then this is the lens for you. Period.

This lens falls in a weird position in the Canon's line-up. It is expensive and not compatible with full frame sensor bodies. So it probably wouldn't attract much of the photographers community. Neverthless, it is definitely a L-series lens without the 'L' badge!

Pros:
- Excellent image quality, even when wide open (17mm f/2.8)
- Extremely fast and accurate auto focus
- 2-4 stops image stabilisation
- Constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range
- Pleasing color contrast, saturation and sharpness (way ahead of standard kit lens, 15-85 and 18-135)
- Value for money (agree that it is expensive but you get what you pay for)

Cons:
- Plastic construction (though mount is metallic)
- No weather sealing (would expect it for this price)
- Heavier than standard kit lens (hanging around the neck for long duration could hurt)
- Zoom ring stiffness is not linear i.e., a bit stiff in the lower mid range until the lens shoots back upon further zoom in (but nothing to worry about)
- No accessories included (would expect 'something' for this price)
- Slight chromatic aberrations visible at corners at 17mm f/2.8 (though easily rectified in Photoshop)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing piece of glass!, 5 Jan 2007
Fazel Ali "Fazmedia" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This lens has the same focal range as the 'kit' canon 18-55mm, so anyone with

that lens will know what kind of range it covers. But this lens is altogether

in a different league in terms of optical quality and price! But if you have the money, get yourself a copy, because used properly, it will amaze you. The build quality is what you can expect from a high end consumer canon. There is no hood or pouch, which is a shame, because canon could have included these. I would recommend this lens if you're serious about getting the best from your APS-C DSLR, and you are not intending to move up to full frame in the next few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars This lens is really brilliant, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
For anyone, as I was, wondering which lens to get for their crop sensor Canon camera (I have a 60D), then I can totally recommend the Canon 17-55mm. I've been using the kit lens and then a Sigma 18-50.....and both were disappointing. I was starting to worry about the 60D and was considering upgrading to a 6D.
But after a lot of reading and consideration, I decided to give the 17-55 a go. It is brilliant. The quality of images is so far beyond anything I've managed previously. The focusing is superb.....at 2.8 I have had virtually no images out of focus.
Yes, it does feel slightly plasticky. When I first opened it, I was slightly concerned. But after taking photos for a few hours I fell in love with it.
So, if you have a crop sensor Canon, and are looking for the best lens for it......then you really have to get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!, 21 Sep 2012
Alex Thorn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I am no newby to expensive lenses. I also use a 70-200mm F4 IS on my Canon 7D and 60d. This however was a whole new kind of surprise to the amazing 70-200mm. The build quality is fantastic despite what people say. I wouldn't want to get it wet but it feels very good quality compared to many other lenses i have used. I have always not enjoyed using a wide to medium lens as the pictures from my 18-55 were flat and boring with hardly any DOF. This however is stunning. Great colour and contrast and stunning Bokeh.

This had pretty much got rid of the need for my 50mm 1.8 (although i know many people love using a prime lens) This is now my main video lens and still lens. Its on my camera most of the time. It is a little heavy but you get used to that. Its focus ring is a pleasure to use and gives easy accurate focusing. The zoom isn't the most amazing thing. It doesn't feel even as you zoom so thats a bit of a shame for video but its still pretty good.

Don't hesitate on the price. If you can afford it buy it. If you can't why are you reading the reviews!

In summary:

Great Bokeh
Good build
Great image quality
2.8 at all focal lengths
nice contrast and colour
replaced my 50mm 1.8
As enjoyable to use as the 70-200mm F4 IS (incredible lens)
Balances my 7D perfectly and doesnt feel to front heavy on my 60D (feels very front heavy on my 500D though!)

Hope this helps :)