5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality
I bought this for my mother, whose sight is failing. It is absolutely fantastic for this purpose, giving a great shadow-free light and a wide view, enabling her to read much more easily. Solidly made.
Published on 2 Feb. 2009 by R. Whitehead

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 12 months in a light use service department
The spring bracket on this item failed after 12 months and 1 week. Draper would not replace under warranty even though it was only 1 week over.

I would not recommend this product or Draper based on the poor quality and support for this product.
Published on 13 Feb. 2013 by J. Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 2 Feb. 2009
R. Whitehead "author of 'Leading a Software D... (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 80503 22-Watt Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp (Kitchen & Home)

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnifying lamp, 8 Feb. 2009
G. JANSSENS - See all my reviews
The delivery was on the next day, very good. The lamp itself seems to be of a very good quality. This quality could have been described even better on the web.
-The warming-up time
-special functions like the quick warm-up button
-detailed photos of the fixing to the table and the lamp itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Service, 14 Jan. 2010
Mr. J. P. Brewin (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
The magnifying lamp itself is a high quality piece of gear.

It arrived with the circular fluorescent tube smashed. One email to the manufacturer, Draper, and a few days later TWO tubes arrived (just after Christmas) foc.

That is excellant customer service.

Combine the two comments - and you have a very professional odering, delivery and customer care process.

Many thanks, J

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 22 Dec. 2009
L. N. Wood "Le Clef" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This item will seem larger than you anticipated when first out of the box but it soon becomes part of your desk setup and you will not even notice it's there. It's very sturdy and swivels whichever way you need it to but will not go to perfectly vertical.

The light and magnification has made a huge difference to my specialist need which is mainly looking at old postcards. Seeing more detail is clearly one advantage but the hands free benefit is equally advantageous. I would happily recommend this product which comes with full instructions INCLUDING the proper function of the second switch which is mainly to cut out any flickering if there is any - I have had none at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for modelling but make sure you cover it up when not in use!!!, 6 Mar. 2014
I bought this for painting miniatures and the clarity provided by both the light and magnifying lens enables me to pick out so much detail on my models. The lamp doesn't emit much heat, apart from the box on the arm, which can get very hot after prolonged use.

Despite this being a great product, it is after all a mangifying glass and can therefore be quite dangerous. I woke up yesterday morning to discover smoke filling my flat. I ran into the study where the strong morning sunlight had caught the magnifying lens just right, and incredibly managed to set fire to a coat I had slung over my office chair! The coat was ruined, the chair a little charred, but thankfully the damage was relatively minimal. Obviously that incident was my fault entirely, in future I'll make sure I keep the magnifying glass covered when not in use, or at least keep it way of the sun's reach.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 12 months in a light use service department, 13 Feb. 2013
J. Turner "JT" (Wolverhampton, England) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the trouble (or weight)., 6 April 2015
Failed after third turn so I printed a return label with Amazon. Read on-line about the second button for 'slow-starts' of the bulb so I kept going with it. Some days it worked some it never starts. After 2 months I've had enough - only to read that it's now beyond Amazon's returns policy of 30 days! Going to ring them as clearly the item itself is faulty. Couldn't even get a spare bulb for it so looking elsewhere. It's pretty heavy, when it worked it was brilliant but that's its achilles heel - fails to start 90% of the time. Should be zero stars but Amazon seem incapable of listening to people who are asking for that option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Draper Magnifying Lamp, 25 Feb. 2011
This is a very good product, well built, bright and just the correct magnification for jewellery which was my intended purpose for it.I find I leave it on as a desk light a lot of the time and use it to read small print etc, which it is great for. (i'm resistant to starting to wear glasses) The only niggle (apart from the redundant second switch mentioned by others) is that the lamp cover can easily be knocked off whilst rotating the head... easy to pop back on though. My two year old daughter loves to look through it and pretend she's making stuff. Recommended, I would have given it 4 1/2 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lamp arrived broken, took months for replacement to be sent and after a short while that didn't work., 29 May 2014
Not recommended as my experience was not satisfactory. Original lamp was broken and not usable. Replacement took months to come (literally) and very soon afterwards that stopped working and couldn't be bothered to send it back and have months more waiting for probably the same result. Wouldn't buy this personally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hobbyst light, 26 Jan. 2014
Its a great lamp. Seems really big at first, but I quickly got used to it and I love it.
It has bright, natural light plus its has a really long reach.

However after a week the bulb begin to flicker a little bit. Now it just give out dim light :(
But its a bulb they break on occasions.