TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 December 2013
The box contains everything the child needs to collect and examine fingerprints, including an ink pad, dusting powder, fingerprint file cards, and detailed instructions. The idea is excellent, but I was somewhat disappointed with the quality and quantity; the ink is not excellent and the dusting powder is only sufficient for only a few attempts.

I bought this for my eleven year old nephew and it was a great success. When he unwrapped the gift, he was really excited and immediately wanted to play with it. Although we had great fun playing forensic experts (ok, my nephew was the expert and I the suspect), he was a little disappointed that the fingerprints were not very clear and it seemed that the contents would not last for very long.

This is a good gift for children that is fun and a great way to talk about science. Also as it is in a nice box, it is really easy to gift-wrap.
on 30 May 2009
Science Museum - Finger Print Kit

The kit was used the day it arrived. Even so the ink pad was virtually dry and so the quality of the prints was very poor and unusable. In the end I had to buy an ordinary ink pad with far better results!
I bought from the Science Museum assuming that such a reputable sponsor would ensure a high quality product.
Very disappointed.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2012
Science Museum Finger Print Kit Ages 8+- Girls Play and Learn Creative Activity Toy

The above kit contained sufficient ink and powder to finger print the entire family. The kit was well presented in the box and well made. It was very good value for money and very entertaining.
on 28 March 2014
I didn't actually receive the Science Museum version but what looks like a cheaper copy. The package didn't contain the silver powder so the whole kit is rather useless. It has potential but this was disappointing.
on 13 January 2010
My son was happy with this kit as a gift. I personally didn't think it was good, it is a toy that would probably be used once, then thrown to one side.
on 30 December 2013
My 10 year old son got this for Christmas and loves it! Its a great afternoons fun, he fingerprinted the whole family and caught the jam tart thief! We will be buying more kits from this series.
on 21 August 2014
For my sons 7th birthday present. He loves it still and now as records for the whole family, fortunately there are no criminals!!
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2009
I am currently studying 'Forensic Science' with the Open University. It's a great short course and includes a study section on fingerprints.

It suggest we should purchase a small fingerprint kit to take a few prints and see how easy/difficult it is, and this is one of the options recommended.

It is obviously a childs kit. Nevertheless for the purposes I wanted it was fine. It isn't robust and won't stand up to the hurly burly of the crime scene, but then it isn't designed to. So if OU S187 is your course, go for it.
on 1 January 2016
really good fun, but shame it doesn't have many fingerprint cards to get through. could do with some background info or history too...
on 30 January 2013
The grand children just politely thanked me for the gift but did not enthuse of it. I got the impression that they found it just OK.