on 4 September 2011
Men in Black is a great movie which I'm sure most film fans will have seen many times, so I won't waste time going into its plot/storyline. This review is for the UK Blu-Ray release. The picture and sound are noticeably better than on the DVD. This disc also boasts an impressive array of extras, including commentaries, extended and deleted scenes, a documentary, a featurette and a trivia game.

Unfortunately, the film itself is still the version slightly altered by the BBFC with two uses of the work "prick" overdubbed, which seems ridiculous in this day and age, especially when you consider that the movie still features stronger swear words and has been show in its original form on TV numerous times. I'm sure a lot of people won't be bothered by this, but I have always been very anti-censorship and feel films should be released in their original form. Don't get me wrong. This release is still worth having, but purists may want to check out the US version which is unaltered and apparently has the same extras.
on 28 February 2014
following the exploits of agents Kay and Jay, who are members of a top-secret organisation established to monitor and police alien activity on Earth.

The two Men (in Black) find themselves in the middle of the deadly plot by an intergalactic terrorist who has arrived on Earth to assassinate two ambassadors from opposing galaxies.

In order to prevent worlds from colliding, the MiB must track down the terrorist and prevent the destruction of Earth.

It's just another typical day.......

Seeing this not long after the latest instalment shows just how little the makers care about the audience or the original movie.

Even though both movies are okay, they are very different when you go through he MIB time line. But thats for another discussion.

What we have here is the Will Smith movie where her had self realisation of being the biggest star on the planet, and boy does it show.

He is just on the wrong side of irritating, and if it wasn't for Jones acting him off the screen, it would have been a problematic move for the studio.

The plot is simple but effective, and the effects are groundbreaking for the time. It's nice to see Hollywood taking a gamble for once on a big film that didn't have anything to do with a sequel and was highly original.

And considering Hollywood released one of the worst sequels ever in 1997, the gamble paid off.

it's a fun movie, made even more watchable by the two leads chemistry, Rip Torn, and the fact that it's only just over 90 minutes long.

A nice movie to watch on a Sunday afternoon when it's raining.
on 11 December 2010
"Men in Black", featuring Will Smith both as lead actor and end credit singer, is a classic comedy. When I first watched it years ago, I laughed at almost every situation. My favourite? Smith and the other guy are going to meet an expert on intergalactic diplomacy. Everyone assumes it's the weirdo with the dog. Actually, it's...the dog! Had me fooled, too. Another old favourite is the claim that Sylvester Stallone is an alien. The tall guy from Twin Peaks makes a guest appearence (he's been on Star Trek as well).

Since I was versed in the UFO subculture, "Men in Black" struck me as extra funny, since the secret agents don't exactly behave as MIBs are supposed to. Usually, they behave in the exact opposite way... And yes, they are more cool!

When I watched the movie last night, I was stuck by two things. One, I wasn't laughing so much anymore. Why? No idea. Maybe I'm older, maybe I'm through with the "funny Black sidekick" angle, maybe I remember the only twist element in the plot ("The Galaxy is in Orion's belt"). Instead, I found myself analyzing the meaning of the scene where Will tries to fill in a form at MIB headquarters, together with a bunch of marines. Is there some deeper meaning hidden away in that scene? Or is just me getting Freudian?

Two, despite this, the movie isn't bad, although I might yet draw that conclusion when I'm Tommy Lee Jones' age, waking up from a coma after 35 years. Or perhaps I'm just tired of the UFO subculture?

Although I no longer get laughing tics out of Will's character in sunglasses, I nevertheless give "Men in Black" four stars. If you are 20+, don't miss this classic sci fi comic flic. And remember: the Galaxy is in Orion's belt!
on 9 February 2011
No need to review the film as you can read others for that or will have already seen it before. I was always pretty impressed with the DVD quality and the extras, not overloaded with them but a sprinkling none the less. Picture I think had full frame if not it's 16:9 as with pretty much all films. Picture and sound are both improved over the DVD Blacks look much crisper and deeper, more vibrant colours all round. Maybe my only criticism which is why I didn't give it full stars is I feel they could have made better use of the surround sound in places. But worth adding to your collection of Blu Rays.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 January 2016
The men in black have been part of ‘UFO-lore’ almost as confused people have noticed lights in the sky and claimed that little grey men gave them a damn good probing on board the Starship Enterprise. The stories go that they’re shadowy figures who cover up all traces of UFO and alien activity on planet Earth. Now, whether or not any of that is true, at the height of the nineties the X-files ruled the airwaves, therefore someone was going to transpose the men in black legend to the big screen.

While die-hard UFOlogists claimed that the tone of the film was too light, it was a damn good family romp. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith play the titular Men in Black – Jones is the hardened pro and Smith is the wise-cracking new kid on the job. When a rogue alien decides he wants to help himself to a device that will give him great power (etc) it’s a race against time to prevent the planet from getting destroyed in the process. That’s about all you need to know. The plot is kind of by the way when you compare it to the general fun-feeling of the film.

It doesn’t matter where Smith and Jones are they play off each other perfectly. That’s why it shouldn’t matter whether you’re into sci-fi or not, you should enjoy this. It’s the sort of movie that’s in the same league as Indiana Jones, Star Wars and (the old) James Bond films. The whole family could sit down on a Saturday afternoon and enjoy this.

It’s a short and simple film (not just simple and fun to follow, but weighing in at a mere ninety minutes – quite short for a summer blockbuster). But you’ll enjoy it as primarily a comedy with the science fiction part later. Give it a go. Just don’t expect too much from the ‘so-so’ sequels!
on 2 September 2000
Men In Black needs no real introduction - it was a big hit back in summer 1997 which overall was an above average flick. Above average mind, not astonishingly good. Perhaps to prop up the sales of such a late back issue disc to the medium, Columbia have gone to town, and then come back for another load.
This 2-disc set is polished. Disc 1 is a DVD 18 (double sided) with both 4:3 and widescreen versions of the film. Good good. The second disc adds to the extras on the first, which together add to great menus, commentaries in both visual (Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Sonnenfeld silouetted on your screen pointing things out) and audio (the technical team talk you through) formats. Wow. Special effects get the full treatment - many effects are broken down and explained in documentaries and you can use the multi-angle feature on your player to develop the shots yourself as well. You can also direct scenes yourself with advice from the production crew, choosing shots from a menu to make a full scene which you can then watch. There are dossiers, trailers, music videos and the whole thing is subtitled (I mean everything - audio commentaries included). Basically wow. There's also a trailer for MIB2 - well there we are. A new documentary on the making of is in there for a laugh.
£24.99 is a lot to pay for a disc but 1, you don't have to do that as amazon are selling it for less and 2, you're getting more bang for your buck than any other DVD feature in Region 2. Columbia Tristar may wish to avoid developing a habit of 2 disc sets if possible - it's not great at this price. Nonetheless this sets the standard - now can Terminator 2 beat it?
on 26 January 2014
For these "Mastered in 4k" discs to work, they have to use an immaculate master to start with. Now the standard Men in a Black 3 Blu Ray is immaculate and looks stunning whereas this Mastered in 4k Men in Black looks soft, grainy, noisy and no more impressive than any other Blu Ray I've seen. I have purchased several others in this range and they have all impressed such as Total Recall, The Amazing Spider-man, Battle Los Angeles, After Earth and Angels & Demons. I know Men in Black is the oldest of these movies, but if they can make a 1960's Bond Movie or Laurence of Arabia look pristine, then this shows a lazy approach and does the Mastered in 4k line no favours.
Collect the others by all means, but if you're looking for a stunning image, you'll be disappointed with this one.
For the last year and a half, I've been hanging out weekly with a couple of friends watching science fiction. It's been great because I've been catching some of the movies I've managed to miss over the years or rewatching old favorites. One of those new to me movies was Men in Black. At the time it came out, I wasn't remotely interested in watching it, and I've stubbornly stuck to that blind opinion. What a fool I've been.

The story introduces us to James Darrel Edwards III (Will Smith), an NYPD detective who winds up chasing a suspect who can really jump high. It's only as James is filling out his report that he meets Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) who seems to think the suspect is an alien. At least it sounds silly.

It isn't long before James has been recruited to join a secret organization that keeps track of aliens that live here on Earth. The newly christened Agent J gets a trial by fire when an alien lands intent on starting an intergalactic war. And if Agents K and J can stop him, Earth will be the first casualty. Can they save the planet?

If all of this sounds a little serious, let me reassure you that this movie is a comedy. It takes itself seriously enough that you actually car about how the story turns out. But the story is secondary at times for the fun of the jokes. I was laughing the entire way through the film at the situations and lines.

Tommy Lee Jones absolutely makes the film. His Agent K is deadpan serious at all times. Some of the best laughs are just his delivery of his lines. Will Smith provides his own laughs by his much more realistic reactions to these unexpected situations. The rest of the actors are certainly fine as well, but this movie is definitely about the leads, and they make it. I can't imagine anyone else making this movie work quite as well.

The movie is also a special effects and makeup bonanza. There are so many aliens or humans made up to look like aliens that the budget must have been huge. All of it works, too. The movie originally came out in 1997. Occasionally, I'd see something that looked fake, but for the most part I bought what I was seeing. Okay, so I wasn't looking too closely because I wanted to believe it, but there wasn't too much that pulled me out of the story.

On the flip side, some of the effects are a bit too good. What do I mean by that? This movie is not for the weak of stomach. Several of the scenes were designed to be gross, and frankly I'm not sure it served any purpose. It seemed to just be gross to be gross. That was the one thing that kept me from fully enjoying the film.

With some of the aliens and the story line, I had a feeling that this movie was trying to be an homage to the old B films from the 50's and 60's. Of course, this one had better acting, storytelling, and slicker special effects, but the spirit was still there.

So I'm glad I finally watched Men in Black. It's a very funny science fiction movie that turns out to be quite entertaining.
I bought this for my Nephew's Birthday as he has just discovered the Men in Black series after watching the third in the series. The wrong way around to watch it I know but at least each film in the series is sort of stand alone so that you don't really need to have watched them in order. I think pretty much everyone has seen the Men In Black series and this film is obviously what kicked the whole thing off and a brilliant film.
on 17 November 2006
If you're viewing this DVD you must have seen the film and I don't need to tell you too much as it's a great sci-fi comedy adventure for all the family.

However this DVD is THE pack for this film (as there are so many poor "Men in Black" DVDs) and a definite buy even if you just want to show off the power of DVDs. The extras are truly amazing giving buyers a real insight into the production process from story boards to filming to editing and post production.

The "edit a scene to suit you" is revolutionary and will impress anyone. Who knows it could even help budding film makers by showing them the editing process.

This DVD is the only choice for Men in Black fans and a must buy for people who love their DVD collections.