5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest racer ever for PSP
Published on 1 Oct 2009 by D. McClory

2.0 out of 5 stars not like other turismos
I will keep this short.I got this last month and sold it with in a few days.No carer mode no real goal.But it is a good racing game but the fun dont last long.
Published on 9 Feb 2010 by jay

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest racer ever for PSP, 1 Oct 2009
D. McClory "d." (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)
I'm quite a fan of racers on PSP, having both WipEout games, Need for Speed Undercover and F1 but this gamehas massively raised the bar. This is definitely the best racer on the PSP (with perhaps the exception of maybe Motorstorm: Arctic Edge, which i've not had the pleasure of playing yet). [EDIT: now reviewed Motorstorm too, with a slight GT comparison for those thinking of getting one or the other]

This game has been in development just a tad too long, i'd totally forgot it was ever mentioned back in 2004. But to say its been a while in development does no justice to just how superb this game really is.

Prositives:

- I pre-ordered the UMD version which arrived this morning. From the moment you start it up you realise this game is something quite special. Somehow, developers are managing to squeeze more and more out of the PSP, and this game is the showcase of the lot graphically.

- The cars are superbly rendered on the screen and are even better in the races, and really makes you wonder how this is just a PSP. The race tracks are equally well rendered. Of course, there are limitations to the PSP so there are still jaggies and hard lines where there should be curves, but i'd expected far more.

- The controls i found take a little bit of time to get used to, certainly my first race wasn't exactly smooth, but i'd expected this as with any new game. After a few races though, it feels very smooth and intuitive. They've done a good job with less buttons.

- I'm only in the early stages of the game and haven't tried racing the fast cars just yet, but even with the slower cars the game feels fast. I can only imagine what its going to be like with the supercars.

- The number of cars and tracks is stupendous, i can't work out how they've managed to get so many into 1Gb of storage space. I don't think you could ever do collect every car!

The graphics and the gameplay really do make this game so superb.

Limitations:

- There have been number of rumblings on the internet following the announcement that there is no campaign mode. I've never had a GT game before (with the exception of GT5 Prologue), so this is not a feature i know to miss. However, if you are a hardened fan of GT then you may miss it. There are a series of challenges with races and tasks within each one that will keep you interested and tested while improving your virtual driving skills.

- Cockpit mode is pretty shoddy really, and after playing GT5 Prologue, i was expecting something slightly better rendered. It is still my prefered driving method though, giving a much more realistic driving feel.

- Car availability seems a little confusing to me. New cars are available each virtual day but not always the ones you want. You have to exit the challenge mode to go back to the main screen to go to the showroom. At first i was doing this after each race - if you leave the challenge it adds a virtual day, so new cars become available. Now i've realised you can do more than one race in a challenge then exit and it will only have added one day too.

- there are only 4 cars on a track. this surprised me as i was expecting more, but it's not bothered me at all, you're usually only concentrating on the car in front and the car behind anyway! its definitely still a challenge.

Overall:

If you are already a GT fan and you own a PSP, and you want the GT experience on a portable, i'd hazard a guess that you will be quite pleased at this amazing game.

If you have never played GT and you want a polished and superb racer/driving simulator that will make your shiney PSP even shinier, then this really is, by far, the best game you could get.

GT PSP has made itself a must have for PSP owners, even in the rapidly expanding collection of great PSP games.

[Looking for other PSP games? Check out my reviews for LittleBigPlanet, Gran Tourismo PSP, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, Blood Bowl, Resistance Retribution, and probably others.]

5.0 out of 5 stars The best PSP Racing Game!, 10 Jan 2010
Foreword
After owning every single Gran turismo game on the console, I'd been looking forward to this game since before the PSP was released and in my mind they sold the PSP with the promise of this game, originally called "Gran Turismo 4 Mobile".
Knowing that polyphony don't rush games, they take their time I knew that this game would be worth the wait.
I rarely play my PSP, I mean, why would I When I have a PS3?
But still I decided if ever I found myself on a bus or train this was the game to get to stop me from scratching my own eyes out with boredom.
Right onto the game, I went in with medium to high hopes and haven't been disappointed, I found out just before the game was released through IGN that there would be no career mode, I was slightly disappointed but still I brought it anyway.
The decision to not include a career mode is why many people moan about this game but if they sat down and thought about it, it doesn't really need a career mode.
Most people spend around 30minutes on a bus or train and to be honest the kind of races GT4 offered were too long most were Series races and took hours some of which 24 hours!
The game is designed to be picked up 1 or 2 quick races maybe a new car purchase and then put down, this way this game can last you ages without boredom.

Graphics
The graphics are amazing, don't expect Forza Motorsport or NFS Shift styled graphics after all it is the PSP, Pretty much the best graphics I've seen on PSP and the game runs at a very smooth 60 FPS. I would say the graphics on a par with GT4 (Which is an achievement for a PSP game).

Controls
The control and feedback from the cars is amazing, turn traction control off and you find yourself wrestling to stay on the track.

General
There are many tracks and cars and it's quite nice and easy to earn £1M to get that Ferrari when you eventually see Ferrari at your dealership.
Ad-Hoc mode is great and with Ad-Hoc party you can play friends all over the world.
The licences are back and it feels like a mini career mode after I'd completed a page of licences I got the credits rolling.
I've played the NFS's on the PSP and some other PSP games and to be honest there nothing to this, if you're a fan of the Gran turismo series and want to pick up and play every now and again, although at first you'll be hooked, this is the game for you.

Verdict

Pros
Great graphics
Great sound (for PSP anyway)
Excellent controls and feedback from the many cars
Good value for money like all Gran turismo games!
Great Ad-Hoc
Excellent ability to pick up and play and put down quickly unlike some PSP games without save points for ages.
Excellent choice of many different cars and tracks

Cons
No career mode (would have been nice for people without the bigger consoles)
No online mode to play random people
Takes a while to load

9/10

Fully recommended I had to think hard to write the cons, there just little niggles and don't really affect my enjoyment of the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gran Turismo PSP Review, 16 Feb 2010
Gran Turismo (PSP)

It is beyond the domain of this site to write an extensive review which can be found eleswhere and probably not read at all ! Hence to save you all time here is the synopsis:

The Good points:
Fantastic handling
60 frames-per second smoothness
Compelling car collection
Realistic handling on no fewer than 800 cars
Loads of varied tracks that offer different challenges
Good ad hoc multiplayer options
Drifting is a fun addition to the standard racing

The Not-so-good points:
No structure to the main game
Endless grinding, no sense of achievement
No incentive to buy cars
No Career mode
Lacks online play
Limited tuning options that can only be saved for up to 30 cars.

My Final Verdict:

7.5/10

2.0 out of 5 stars not like other turismos, 9 Feb 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a quick thrash around the Nordschleife in your favourite cars., 6 Oct 2009
M. Saxby (Fleet, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)
I've only seen GT3 on the PS2 and played it briefly (my son decided to trade it in for something else shortly after we bought him his PS2 with this game), so I'm not a Gran Turismo expert and the lack of a 'challenge mode' doesn't really bother me.

I have (and like) Ridge Racer on the PSP, but it can get frustrating constantly finishing 2nd when I want to move onto the next race (and all the races seem a variation on a few selections).

After a few hours of GT on the PSP, I can say it has better graphics than RR (although not as much better as some might lead you to believe) and the ability to hack cars around well rendered representations of the Nordschliefe or Laguna Seca has already been great fun.

As you would expect, the cars are clear as to what they are and, for example, the RX7 handles vastly differently to the Renault Megane. Driving the lines correctly really does reward you with faster times.

The lack of damage is a bit odd (but equally I'd never complete a lap of the Nurburgring if damage worked - Perhaps it could've been made switchable?) and the limitation of 4 cars isn't that much of a problem from the play I've done so far - The tracks, though, seem more of a challenge than the other drivers.

If you take this as a 'pick-up-n-go' game, where you can hack your favourite cars around some of the world's greatest tracks (and lots of fictional ones - The Amalfi coast was pretty well represented with killer hairpins - I'm sure I spotted the turn to the hotel I stayed in last year at one point!) it's a winner on the PSP.

If you were expecting GT5 (or even GT4?) on the PSP, you will be disappointed, but perhaps your expectations were a little unrealistic?

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless game, 7 Oct 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)
Very boring no career mode or competitions, race tracks not exciting enough. No real goal to work towards other than buying cars

3.0 out of 5 stars Gran Turismo - missing a VITAL element..., 13 Sep 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)
You already own a PSP probably if you're looking at this, and might probably owned a version of Gran Turismo on one of Sonys previous consoles or at the very least be aware of its existance.

So you'll know its been an excellent title, outstanding and THE driving simulator on pretty much ANY console.

To summerise - this isn't the version to buy. Don't get me wrong and start clicking 'unhelpful review button' if you a fan or the series. I have a justified reason as a fellow fan -

-----IT HAS NO CAREER MODE, and therefore in my opinion... no substance. This was a crucial ingredient to other versions and I can't believe its not here. I love these GT games... career mode and license was the KEY to them and missed here.

You can race, get licenses (nearest to career you will come), buy cars the usual stuff. You can tweak car settings (not tune tho' and buy parts, another oversight) there is LOTS of cars which is good, but only some appear on somedays to purchase which is abit frustrating.

If you want to spend a fiver on this its probably worth it - its still got all the mechanics of the PS versions and drives really well and can be great fun, a good serious drive. Pity about its lifespan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best driving game on psp, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)
I have this myself and i bought this one for my eldest because he played mine so much. you just have hours of fun. Fantastic game great graphics on such a small screened game. hope they do another one

4.0 out of 5 stars Take it on its own merits.., 2 Oct 2009
G. Heywood (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)
I haven't played any Gran Tourismo since my PS2 days, but was pretty excited to pick this up. I think the most important thing with any game, is to take it on its own merits first.

So how does GT PSP do?

1) A *massive* selection of cars.
2) A wide selection of tracks.
3) Some of the best graphics on the PSP (apart from detailed below)
4) Great game to pick up and go, and coupled with the "suspend" features of the PSP GO, makes this superb for the commute.
5) Multiplayer options like trading cars and racing via ad hoc.

The bad sides?

1) Funny white dots occasionally (between texture maps?) which spoil such superb graphics a little.
2) No damage (not a big issue for me, but perhaps for others).
3) The challenge is up to you, and the goals are set by you. In other words, you need to be pretty self-disciplined to get them all :)

So over all, a great game for the PSP, and for game style/format is superb for mobile play. It isn't GT4/GT5, but if you think of it as an add on for it's "big brothers", rather than a replacement, you won't, overall, be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, BUT LACKS SOUL...., 5 Oct 2009
J. N. Bailey - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gran Turismo (PSP) (Video Game)
Much like the other reviewers, I can't help feeling something is amiss in this game...

At first its great, same old fave tracks, cars etc...however, this novelty very soon wears off, as you wonder why you are racing round the tracks - whats the goal here? To go up to another skill level on the same track....

After only a few hours I end up owning a touring car, which seems great - now I can really trounce the opposition. However when I go into the race the AI has chosen cars of more or less the same spec, meaning the cars extra performance is worthless in effect. To be honest it seems easier to win races using slower cars, so why bother saving up loads for a supercar????

Also, if you really want you can complete all the races in one car...where are the specialist events, where you have to be in a Yaris for example?

Its mainly the sentimentality of seeing the tracks again that is keeping me playng....not sur ehow long this will last though, but still its great for short bursts while travelling!

Probably the best thing about it is you are playing by the old rules, not GT5 prologue - no penalties for hitting barriers or other cars!

Lastly a tip: make sure you go into options and install ontothe memory stick - see the manual for this - the game will be much faster and smoother....

Gran Turismo (PSP)
Gran Turismo (PSP) by Sony (Sony PSP)