5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprising Hit !!
Published on 30 Dec 2004 by BabyD

1.0 out of 5 stars A nonsense and absolute rubbish!!
I have given this 1 star because none of the meanings make any sense, I was very excited to recieve it because I had thought the sayings and meanings would be relevant and humorous,but they weren't and I am very disappointed plus the company the Book Depository charged me 12 postage for 3 items which I disputed but they say they charge individual postage for each item...
Published 4 months ago by Real Ayurveda

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprising Hit !!, 30 Dec 2004
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
I ordered this item just for it's novelty value, to add to my tarot collection. I never expected it to actually work. When it arrived, I was thrilled to sit down and go through the pack. It is beautifully packaged, some standard tarot publishers could learn a lot from the presentation of this amazing deck. It comes in a very strong box, like a recipe card box. Inside it has dividers for Major Arcana cards, Minor Arcana cards and Instruction book. The book it really fab, very amusing to read and provides sensible and proper interpretations for these wonderful cards. The cards themselves are a dream. Very funny, this is a deck to make you smile, but so deep as well. I never expected this deck to be useable, but it is, very useable. Beginners will love it and established readers will adore it's charming way of getting the meanings across, very clever indeed. Please, do not hesitate to order this deck, it is a MUST have for any collection. You will love it, it is charming, funny and friendly. No person could be offended by this deck, it is so very down to earth and not at all occultish. Buy it, you won't regret it. Every housewife should have one :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite decks, 20 Mar 2005
A. Steffe "haraniya" (Derby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
I collect all sorts of divination decks, including Tarot and playing cards, and so couldn't resist The Housewives' Tarot; it is so retro and original - a must for any Tarot collection. The artwork is great and very inspired. Like the other reviewer, I also didn't expect to get a 'meaningful' reading out of them, but I did (and have done every time since), and also found the pictures help you tap into your inuition very effectively. There is no other Tarot deck like it, and it's so much fun to use. It is beginner and people-scared-of-Tarot-friendly and as any mystic worth her salt would say, you should approach divination, as with any art, with a sense of humour and lightheartedness. This deck is ideal for this. The interpretations in the book are humorous, but as it relates the meaning to any household activity or worry, you realise how much it speaks to you on all levels. This makes a reading a very grounding process. I just love this deck! It's so unique and well put together- you even get recipies to use with the different spreads! And the sturdy box is so good at keeping them neat - as any good housewife would. A deck to treasure, and to learn with.

5.0 out of 5 stars More fun than gelatin molds!!!, 21 Oct 2005
Gary Hilton "ursinebrute" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
I have just received my "Housewives Tarot" and I love 'em to bits. They are unlike any others I have in my collection and absolutely delightful!
The previous reviewer seems to have missed the point entirely as these are clearly intended to be a tongue in cheek throwback to the fab fifties and everything about these are obviously deliberately intended to be kitsch. From the red checkered "tablecloth" backs to the presentation box (complete with recipes for 'Ice Box Fortune cake' to 'Divinated eggs' )they are just so much fun.
I do however slightly agree with the previous comment about the card quality - they are not quite as sturdy as some other decks but looked after they should still be reliable and give you years of service, so this is only a minor quibble.
The cards themselves use 1950's iconography and perfectly capture the era. My particular favourite card is 'The Devil' (a chocolate cake on legs!!)
Whether a serious card reader or an aspiring novice, these are still worthy of a place in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing card seekers, click here, 21 May 2005
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
I LOVE my Housewives Tarot. I'm a serious, professional tarot reader, but I don't believe that the cards should be oh so mystical and hard to decipher for the day to day reader. Housewives Tarot will do three things. It gives you cake mixes. Its makes you tidy up (I have no idea why, but you've done it before you realised you were doing it and by then it's finished) it makes you smile, and it tells the future. Oh, sorry, that's four! Anyway, buy them now. My friends beg for readings with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this deck to pieces!!!!!, 20 Jun 2008
Julia E. Mccann (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Housewive's Tarot: A Domestic Divination Kit With Deck And Instruction Book (Cards)
I am a newbie when it comes to the Tarot. Initially I bought the Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot, but found it very complexed and hard to learn. The housewives tarot on the other hand, was surprisingly easy to learn because the symbolism in the pictures are so spot on that one instantly knows their meaning just by looking at them. And the cards are BEAUTIFUL! I love the design, the pretty box and the book. I am so happy that I bought these. A very good deck for those who (like me) are beginners and need an easy to read deck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, Ingenious And So True?, 29 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
I got this deck despite my (feminist?) disgust at the stereotypical housewife portrayal but on close scrutiny this deck is very witty and clever. The 'Housewives' take on the Rider-Waite deck is very cleverly done and so true. We don't like to view ourselves as the housewives this deck portrays but if you think about it we still are! (we're just not *expected* to do it anymore) and this is what makes this deck so easy to understand and bond with, the housework part anyway!

Despite the 1950's art the 'Housewives Tarot' brings tarot to the 20th century with it's imagery and symbolism still as relevant in today's home as it was back then. In an odd kind of way the Housewives Tarot is quite refreshing and has made the standard tarot look a bit stereotypical and dull! This deck is a novelty, very easy to understand and a deck for serious reader. It has hidden depths despite its perhaps controversial design.

The cards are fairly cardboardy with a un-laminated matt finish and would need to be looked after to keep them from spoiling. I think if they were heavily laminated it would ruin their appeal. The cards come in a robust, recipe index style box with a removable lid and a well written LWB which is also stylized in true housewife fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite working decks, 15 Feb 2009
Mme Mojito (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
A friend of mine gave me this deck a few years ago and I think it's absolutely fantastic! I've seen it dismissed as frivolous and lacking in depth, but behind the cheery smiles of the 50s housewives there's plenty in the way of quirky and thought-provoking takes on traditional symbolism. I've recommended it to many friends, and even the most sceptical have ended up loving it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Housewives Tarot – Utterly Delightful. Lovely to look at, fun-packed, easy to handle. Even smells good., 27 Feb 2014
Mark Ramsden - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
Who can resist a Retro-chic pack which comes in its own recipe card box? Delicious art, a fresh concept, a charming little instruction booklet - cards as cute as cupcakes and just as hard to put down.

The suits are Martini glasses for Cups (or dinky little coffee cups, eight of which stacked up beside a weary woman represent hard work on a project that hasn’t been rewarding. Time to start again). Wands, the suit of action, is represented by mops, brooms and feather dusters. For swords, the suit of mental challenges, we have scissors, knives and cocktail sticks. Pentacles are plates in a dishwasher, money growing on trees, mother’s little helper helping tidy up. (The Knave).
I really liked the huckster salesman in a seersucker jacket for The Magician – ‘Illusions – Deception – Charm’ – all of the cards have a handy three word summary in the attractively designed booklet. Among the more innovative Major Arcana choices are a mayonnaise bottle labelled Salmonella for Death. The Devil is a horned chocolate cake enjoying a cigarette and cocktail. Strong, determined women are of course first and foremost throughout.

The order at the start of Major Arcana is slightly different. The High Priestess, manifesting as a dark, feminine sauce bottle – The Secret Syrup. ‘The mysteries of the universe are sweeter than you know’ swaps places with the Empress, the nurturing Housewife and Mother, the Domestic Divinity who rules her domain. Otherwise, everything is in its rightful place, spick and span, easy to find.

The instruction booklet will guide any beginner from the one card virgin spread through vanilla, chocolate and strawberry (past, present and future) the Dinette, (reminiscent of the Celtic Cross), the Clothesline and the complex Martini form, which may indeed require ‘two very dry Martinis’, one if you’re reading your own cards.

The Court Card family member pictures instantly suggest a reading, not always the case in more traditional packs,
The overall ease of interpretation has helped me unlock further secrets in other packs.

Highly recommended, although those enraged by so-called gender stereotyping might perhaps prefer a ‘Primary Care Giver Tarot’? Where the King of Cups is a vegan, Feng Shui consultant. ‘We do NOT recognize a hegemonic, heternormative ‘King’ perpetuating patriarchal oppression and why are the Page cards all boys? Where are the daughters?’
Or you could cut out the baloney and follow the matriarchal 1950s path to domestic divinity. More Martinis. More fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars great deck, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
one of my favourite decks. It is definitely a deck to collect. it is original and ha a quirky sense of humour. I find it inspiring too. great illustrations.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great gift, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
This was a very well received gift for someone over Christmas. They loved it. The postage arrived quickly and was very well packaged - no dents or scratches or anything.

The Housewive's Tarot: A Domestic Divination Kit With Deck And Instruction Book