on 1 May 2008
I bought this for my two-year-old son who turned out to love it - even more than Fireman Sam. We regularly watch it together as a family. His favourite character is the fireman Cuthbert. The narration by Brian Cant is as spellbinding as the music and the characters of the small town such as the flower seller and the carpenter. Of course the highlight each episode is when Captain Flack gets the emergency call at the fire station and his roll call of his fire officers... Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub.
on 15 September 2006
My boys love this, and the other two out of the series. I think part of the appeal is that this is all so new to them. Simple stories and well told, top marks.
I know we all say this, but, Trumpton really is such a classic, much much much better than he CGI / computer stuff we get these days. I was born in 1988 and grew up in the 90's so I missed all the classic shows from the 60's and 70's. But thanks to DVD's I'm really enjoying them all :)

Episode 1 – The Bill Poster, 3 January 1967
Episode 11 – The Plumber, 14 March 1967
Episode 12 – Pigeons, 21 March 1967
Episode 13 – The Greenhouse, 28 March 1967
on 10 July 2008
Having first seen Trumpton over 30 years ago I sat and watched this DVD with my 10 year old. We had a lot of laughs and it brought back a lot of memories for me. Trumpton feels timeless and although old does not seem dated. The DVD contains a small section on how Trumpton was made, click by click! This was fascinating. I'm looking forward to sharing this with younger members of the family. I have also ordered Bod and Mr Benn so hope these too stir up the same emotions!
on 10 April 2006
Partially out of nostalgia and partially because I reckoned my 2 year old son would enjoy it, I ordered the DVD of Trumpton. Ironically, the aspects which I find annoying as an adult such as the large fraction of each episode which rely on stock shots (opening sequence, fireman and band scene) probably provides my son with a degree of stability and repetition absent in other children's programmes.
Moreover Freddie Philips superb rythmic guitar/percussion coupled with Brian Cant's baritone songs really provide a musical pace and a sense of timing.
Probably not for all children, but for those adults looking for something more soothing than today's high graphic/high volume alternatives.
on 14 March 2014
I just had to write a review for this. I bought it for my 4 year old, mainly because he loves fireman Sam, but prefers the older stop motion episodes as opposed to the new CGI stuff. I had an inkling he would like this and I'm not wrong!
I couldn't tell you how many times we've watched this in the few days we've had it, but it's an absolute hit with my son. The stories are lovely and it's so charming, ok it's not the best picture quality but considering when it was originally filmed I wouldn't expect it to be.
Trumpton is before my time and I wasn't sure it would hold my sons attention, but it's one of the few things he will sit and watch!
Bear in mind when buying it for a young child, my son has learning disabilities and is young for his age, so other children age 4 might not like it as much
on 6 February 2013
This still has the ability to hold young children's attention for quite a whileg. My children loved Trumpton and now their children do too. There is something very endearing about the characters and 'that, song gets us all singing. A lovely buy for 5 - 7year olds. Excellent value too.
on 8 September 2009
"Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub!"

If you can't remember those hallowed words, then you didn't have a childhood!

Ahem... Back to the review. Well, I've watched this a few times with our young daughter, Liza and while I was concerned that the total lack of plot - by which I mean virtually nothing happens during the whole episode - she's as mesmerised by it as I am. So engaging and innocent. It's a total joy.

I bought the Camberwick Green, Mr Ben, Bagpuss and Flumps sets at the same time... now all I need to do is disconnect the TV, hook up the DVD full-time, and Liza need never endure any of the tosh on Kids TV these days. Nostalgia rules!
on 8 August 2013
Thought our 3 yr old grandson might be a misfit if he says he watches videos, yes we still have the originals, so decided to update before the video player dies. Brian Cant was simply the best.
on 22 September 2010
Trumpton is just as magical for my grandchildren as it was for my children and my nieces. An instant favourite along with Camberwick Green and Bagpuss