Format: Audio CD|Change

Given the circumstances, its beyond me why the Disney company continue to sell a 1993 "Remastered Album" that not many years before hand, they quoted was beyond repair. I bought this some months ago just to test out the sound quality and I can only back-up what others have said - the salvaging job is like trying to clean mud of white shoe laces; the damage has been done. What makes matters worse is that because Disney "remaster-the-remasters" every few years, the resulting sound is completed 'Gated' (in other words, once the Volume hits a certain level, it immediately bounces down, resulting in Stubby sounding music) and lacking in all balance, going from in-audible lows to excruciating highs.

A number of factors contribute to the films state, however. Firstly, this was recorded on Nitrate film that back in 1938-40, when no-one had the foresight to understand that in years to come, the film becomes highly combustable and loses its quality dramatically. As such, 70 years of even the upmost care would have still resulted in the film being exposed to damage, so its quite un-fair to actually accuse Disney of doing a lousy job 'restoring' this music to the standards were normally used to. By the 1950's, the company was using Magnetic tape which had a better fidelity and of course lasts much, much longer in the years to come - hence the flawless remasters recently, particularly of any of the recent DVD's/Sleeping Beauty.

One question we could ask, though, is why Disney didn't use other source material to remaster this soundtrack. Using the 'original' film may be a motive to get the most original fidelity, but its completely unpractical given its condition. I put this idea to the test and recently bought a copy of the 1956 Vinyl Soundtrack (on website rhyming with "zDay...", only to discover an completely astonishing difference in not just the sound quality, but the clarity. Once I removed the pops/crackles of the vinyl on the program "CD Spin Doctor" from the Toast Titanium package, the music sounded out of this world. Suffice to say, I recorded them all to MP3 and binned this CD!

Why the difference? Quite simply, because that 1956 album was the earliest one in sale, and therefore the one with the least damaged recordings. Now the sound opens up - you can actually hear the reverb of the instruments in the hall, unlike this CD, where any low audio is cut off as that is when the distortion is most audible. The sound levels are also perfect and not 'bouncing' all over the place like this album.

You may be thinking if this is all just fuss from an individual who lives and breathes music. Perhaps so, but as the others reviews confirm, I'm not the only one who is displeased with the attitude Disney have taken with this lazy release. Hopefully once the films Diamond Edition comes out this Spring, we'll see a new remaster - if not, I'll keep my listening to my '56 release!
on 8 April 2011
I had a BBC tape of this years ago and purchased the mp3 download as the tape is now sadly no longer playable. To be honest I wish I had not bothered. The first track sounds as if it has someone playing with the mixing desk as the music slides from the left to right channel and back in a sort of wave. Things continue in a similar way throughout. There is no depth to the instruments and the sound is very thin. Another reviewer mentions that this is due to the master being the original film, rather than a direct recording of the orchestra and the sound quality has really suffered as a result.

If you love the film purchase the individual tracks by different artists and build your own version rather than buy this album, very very disappointing.
on 9 February 2008
I bought this CD because I love the film, but it is a great listen in its own right. The tracks have been 'remastered', resulting in high sound quality. Whatever mood you're in, there is a track to match - my personal favourites are 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy', 'Rite of Spring' and 'Night on Bald Mountain'. I feel that this is the perfect album for someone who isn't a classical music fan as such (like me - I generally prefer rock), but would like an introduction to it, or just something different to listen to, whether you have seen the film or not.
on 29 July 2009
Don't buy this CD, as other people have mentioned the sound quality is very poor.
on 8 January 2015
A wonderful musical compilation. I prefer it to Fantasia 2.
on 15 March 2016
Replacing my vinyl, this version is the best, from the original film soundtrack and just turn it up, it still sounds amazing.
on 16 April 2016
Great piece of music took me back to my childhood. I could see the animation. Will be buying the dvd.
on 17 May 2016
For £5.99 this is a fantastic CD. great for kids to learn to love classical music, as with the film.
on 8 June 2015
Fast delivery and great price
on 5 June 2015