5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and Odd, 26 April 2006
This review is from: Around (Audio CD)
Tom returns with two new records, let the world rejoice! Okay, so this has been billed as a follow up of sorts to "Warm and Cool" (apparently that's been reissued as well) so expectations might be low. Sadly Warm and Cool remains the only Verlaine album I've not been able to extract some joy from. It was with trepidation that I approached this one.

Well, I needn't of bothered worrying. For me this one surpasses Warm and Cool but having more variation, some humor, and yes - some more Verlaine. While Warm and Cool came across and "dull and cold", this one is indeed warmer and more inviting, and it never seems to fall into a dark hole it can't get out of.

I won't pick out individual tracks, the album has a balance and should be enjoyed as a whole. Yes, it's instrumental, but it's also interesting. Verlaine has picked up his game a bit with this one, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What's more, I know I'll be playing it over and over.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars MAJESTIC TOM !, 21 Jan 2012
Arturo Suski Blanco "elreyarturo" (madrid,Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Around (Audio CD)
PURE TOM VERLAINE SOLO EFFORT. EXCELLENT SHORT INSTRUMENTAL PIECES, DIFFERENT TO THOSE TELEVISION DAYS BUT STILL WORTH CHECKING OUT.LET'S JUST HOPE HE RELEASES MORE STUFF LIKE THIS.

Around
Around by Tom Verlaine (Audio CD - 2006)